ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car won't turn over

Searched all over the forum! but couldn't find anything specific to my problem...

First 2 clicks of the key everything lights up as normal, 3 click to start the car I just get a 'click' and nothing... starter motor gone? Lights etc all work.. battery has been on a boost charge for about 30 mins which should give it plenty to turn it over! I bump started it to get it home and everything seemed fine, Any suggestions?

Thanks

I've not tried it, Getting some leads tomorrow from work. If it does start using leads, that mean it's 100% Battery? or could it be alternator aswell....

Alternator should be fine if its running OK when youve bumped it...check it with a multi-meter at the battery though, ~14 Volts is a good working alternator.

If it starts fine with leads then yeh most probably battery

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah when my battery died mine had dash lights but even after an hours charge it wouldnt crank, new battery time

Ian

Focus TDCi
Don't know if it's possible with yours, but my aux belt was slipping and not recharging the battery so just double check that. Sounds like a duff battery though tbh bud!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Earth strap(s) to chassis is where i'd be looking. Get badly corroded. Cause similar symptoms. Remove, wire brush down, refit ;)

doesn't start with leads.

Had it checked out today, starter motor. £250ish for new one fitted...

Get one from a factors for under £100, or get a second hander off here for under £40 and fit it yourself. Its a piece of piss tbh...3 bolts and a bit of technique to wiggle it out past the manifold - ive done it more times than I want to remember :(

M

mini-valver

As above, tap the solenoid while someone keeps trying the key. OR, check the solenoid wire hasnt come off. The heatshield on the starter can cut through them.

Wild card-Immobilisor light goes out??

tried tapping starter with a hammer first??? sometimes they stick.

First thing we tried mate, got nothing.

As above, tap the solenoid while someone keeps trying the key. OR, check the solenoid wire hasnt come off. The heatshield on the starter can cut through them.

Wild card-Immobilisor light goes out??

Both wires looked fine, we did give them a wiggle though to see if it was them. Immob goes out on the 2nd turn of the key

Check earth straps I would.

As above

Thanks for the help.

Had it changed today, the solenoid was opening fine but the motor just wouldn't turn... so a replacement has been put in.. sounds a bit s**t now though, hate the noise it makes.. sounds really 'tinny' :/