ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

carbon bonnet need some help?

V70 d5 beast
hi guys just need a bit of advice had this bonnet a few years and have got white streeks on it.. have tried polishing it and locla bodyshop guys reckons its uner the laquor.

any advice would be greatfull as would like to keep it.. looks bad when polished in the sun

V70 d5 beast
yea i thought of that but the other prob is it has started bubbling on some points so will show up

S4 Avant
You're not a million miles away from Streamline Carbon, I'd have a word with them, as they can repair carbon and do all sorts of magic with it.

I may be totally wrong, but I believe Ktec had a set of bonnets that were not properly finished by their supplier, any ideas where you got it from?

182 Trophy
ffs mines a ktec bonnet and has same problem, before i had it machine polished it had stuff written in the laquer ie randum vtec yo quotes, its gone now but you can still see it in the sun

V70 d5 beast
i bought it form a guy off here about 4/5 years ago i think from down portsmouth he wasn't sure where he got it form but had never been fitted.. cost me £250 then..

i'll have a word with Streamline Carbon and see what they can suggest

i may try wet sanding it and polishing it as it doesn't look like its to do with the carbon

V70 d5 beast
got in touch with streamline carbon and he said this :

Hi Simon
Thank you for the picture. I am afraid bad news on this one, the white streaking is moisture that is in the gel coat finish of the panel and has for some reason taken time to show its ugly head. No matter what you do this cannot be removed, it is under the surface. It is related to the quality of materials used in the manufacturing process with these types of budget panels I am afraid.
I am not sure what else to suggest other than may painting the panel and leaving a few sublte corners of carbon on show that appear to be unaffected.
I presuime this is a bonent purchased from K-tec, which is imported in the far east, I know. Nothing against anyone of the manufacturer just a downside to the money paid for the part and the materials and methods used.
Hope this helps.
Chris

so looks like i'm bummed lols time to fix the old bonnet and mayb look for a 172 hehe

Evo 5 RS
tbh it shows, mostly fibre glass and the finish is poor - especially the edging. I'm probably going to end up painting mine as the gel coat scratches easily. My main gripe with mine was the fit...it's crap essentially

So yeah, I'd just get it sprayed matey.

ITB BG 182
I dont think you can just rub it down though, if you go the slither through the gel coat then you will fray the carbon fiber and it will be a bin job then.
The dots could be between a couple of fibers meaning which it will be an arse to remove or repair.