ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Careful how you jack your Clios!

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Halfway through jacking my 172 up I heard a massive thump and the whole thing nearly slid off the jack.
Lowered it back down (thankfully still had the wheels on) and was greeted with this.
Photo 03-12-2017, 13 34 27.jpg

Photo doesn't show it too well, but what's happened is the whole sill seems to have folded in. :confused:

Unfortunately my Clio is too low to get the jack in anywhere else (even using my low entry one), so will now have to roll it onto some planks from now on before jacking it from elsewhere! Subframe or wishbones?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
If you using a trolley jack get a small rubber slotted pad off eBay

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Yep. Couple my jacking points are mush
Low entrance trolley jack just to the side of the mushed up bit does me, just for lifting
If working on the car, as said, axle stands on the chassis

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
There was some loose sound-deadening flapping around under the car, so only jacked it up to reach under to pull it out, hadn't even bothered getting the axle stands out as I was gonna be under the car for 10 seconds, lucky the sill didn't give way whilst I was underneath the damn thing!

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I use a piece of wood with a slit I cut out of it made to measure which sits on the jack. Really daft design that they made the metal so malleable

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
hadn't even bothered getting the axle stands out as I was gonna be under the car for 10 seconds,

No intention to lecture, but Axle stands every time for me even if i go under for 5 seconds.
Someone killed themselves when there car dropped on top of them earlier this year down this way. was on all the local news etc/

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I’ve never had acar that doesn’t have a crap jacking point. And another thing is when you jack it up there is then never an obvious place to put the axle stands.

My low entry jack gets under my Clio and it's lower than my nans nipples. I just jack it on the chassis beam just forward of centre and one axel stand on the chassis beam just before the a-frame and one on the rear sill or rear beam depending where I'm working on the car.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
And another thing is when you jack it up there is then never an obvious place to put the axle stands.

Had this debate on several car forums, and u r right. If the jacking point is a mess where do you go? I use the metal bar that looks like a piece of 2 x 2 inch wood, but is steel. The chassis beam. You wont be able to use oem jack, and a low entry trolley jack is needed to jack up at that point, then put axle stands alongside it.

I carry a standard 2 ton jack to raise the car in cased of flat tyre, as it hasnt got that notch insert, which you cant use if the jacking point is knackered, A standard 2 ton jack, you can place just before or after the knackered bit

Hope all this makes sense LOL

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Thought I would just show how I do mine. Drive up on to a brick and jack up on the bottom sub frame bolt.
Rear I drive onto bricks and Jack up on ends of the rear beam.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I jack on the chassis rail further back slightly so there is enough space for an axle stand on the rail too in front of the jack once I'm at height I need

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I don't think I've ever jacked anything up by the sill, just not strong enough for it.