ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat D etc.. help :)

Alright im looking for a new motor and ive come across loads that say CAT D but fully repaired whats this mean i know its been in a crash but would you buy one yourself? and has anyone got any more information on it a i dont have a clue when it comes to things like this.

Cheers alot Chris

CAT D means it's been crashed and repaired. The damage to car for it to be done could be very minimal depending on where it was hit etc.

Best bet would be to try and get pictures of the damage or a statement of what was fixed.

I wouldn't buy one either, cheaper to buy, but cheaper then to sell on.

Plus a CAT D doesn't need a VIC check so the repair might not be upto the highest level.

Cat d's not for me either. if you buy it make sure you get a good deal on it, it'll also be worth less than a non cat d car when you come to sell it.

It could also take longer to sell too.

ITB'd MK1
no i wouldnt.
means its been in a light damage crash

no it doesn't.

Could have been stolen recovered and needed no more than a window and a lock set. You really need to find out the specificy of what happened.If it's been fixed well then it shouldn't be a problem day to day, and you get a car for cheap, just remember it will also reduce the resale value later so the only benefit is you dont make so much initial investment :)

VIC checks don't check repairs.

I would and have bought write offs before but I repaired them myself.

Nothing wrong providing its been repaired correctly so details on damage/photo evidence/bodyshop invoice is a good start.

ITB'd MK1
VIC checks don't check repairs.

I would and have bought write offs before but I repaired them myself.

Nothing wrong providing its been repaired correctly so details on damage/photo evidence/bodyshop invoice is a good start.

indeed. Considering a ph1 172 at some point and the only way i'll afford one is cat-d at the moment. Just going to be careful what i go for when it comes to it

oo right cheers for the help, so advice is just to find out what the Cat D was for and ask for reciepts, or buy one thats a Cat D unrepaired?

no i wouldnt.
means its been in a light damage crash

no it doesn't.

Could have been stolen recovered and needed no more than a window and a lock set. You really need to find out the specificy of what happened.If it's been fixed well then it shouldn't be a problem day to day, and you get a car for cheap, just remember it will also reduce the resale value later so the only benefit is you dont make so much initial investment :)

Ive just found on the net that a Cat D is a insurance right off so why would a window be a right off :S

If you buy one un repaired a plus point you'll have is that you can see the damage to it. The downside will be having to source the parts to fix it, unless you know someone who can get them or you can get them for a good price.

You'll also be able to document the rebulid for when you come to sell on.

If you get one that's been repaired already, make sure you get all of the paperwork for it & a load of pics of it (before the repair during & after etc) otherwise it'll be a mission to sell on, unless you sell it for a cheap price.

Golf
ave owned a fiesta which was a cat d but a saw the car when it was damaged and new who fixed it, it was fine apart from being harder to sell when a bought me 172

ITB'd MK1
no it doesn't.

Ive just found on the net that a Cat D is a insurance right off so why would a window be a right off :S
the point was, being cat-d doesn't mean it was crashed :)

Lionel Richie
^correct it could be something daft like its been keyed on every panel and needs a full respray etc, or someone has lost the keys etc etc

Phase 2 172 Cup
how do you all know the cars you are driving havnt been hit, fixed but never recorded??

i know cars that could even reach Cat C, but were never declared and the new owners are none the wiser.

Cat D is very large, from needing a headlight, wing, bonnet etc...to a window and a lock set etc...

you need to establish why exactly its been given Cat D, and who fixed the car, and what parts were used to do this

how do you all know the cars you are driving havnt been hit, fixed but never recorded??

i know cars that could even reach Cat C, but were never declared and the new owners are none the wiser.

Cat D is very large, from needing a headlight, wing, bonnet etc...to a window and a lock set etc...

you need to establish why exactly its been given Cat D, and who fixed the car, and what parts were used to do this
I think making a car recorded by it needing a headlight is a bit extreme !

LOL at needing a headlight maybe on a £100 shitter perhaps.
A Cat D is a total loss write off, it is uneconomical to repair, the parts and labour outweigh the value of the car.

Definitions here:

A Category B Vehicle is a Salvaged Vehicle, which is so structurally damaged, or devoid of parts that it is not possible to repair it economically or safely. A Dealer who purchases a Category B Vehicle (a "Category B Dealer") shall be allowed to remove salvageable parts, and shall then be required to dismantle the Category B Vehicle and crush the shell, frame and chassis in accordance with ABI guidelines. Air bags and seat components must be properly disposed of in accordance with manufacturers instructions, the insurance industry requires that these items must never be resold.

The processing of Category B Salvage must comply with the guidelines displayed in the "Code of Practice for the Disposal of Motor Vehicle Salvage" (ABI Code of Practice) issued by Motor Conference. (See 10.2.1 of this Document)

A Category C Vehicle is a Salvaged Vehicle, which is damaged to the extent that the retail cost of repair to the vehicle exceeds the retail pre-accident value thereof.

A Category D Vehicle is a Salvaged Vehicle, which is damaged to the extent that the retail cost of repair to the vehicle does not exceed the retail pre-accident value thereof.

A Category X Vehicle is a vehicle which has been subject to an insurance claim but which has sustained minimal or nil damage or which may have been repaired in accordance to manufacturers specifications, and therefore categorisation as per the Code of Practice for the Disposal of Motor Vehicle Salvage does not apply.

RB 182 Cup
An insurance company can write the car off if the repair bill is 60% of the cars value (if its up to 3 years old) and up to 75% of the value if older that 3 years. These cars tend to be cat D.

Its worth noting that a cat C car will probably also have a DVLA "extensive damage marker" against it, and MOT testers are told of this when they log on to MOT the car.

Also, you will find it nearly impossible to get finance on a car that is on the register. If you need to claim on your insurance for the vehicle, its past is taken into account when it comes to value, so your payout may be lower.

Having said all that, as long as you do your homework, check the repair CAREFULLY to see if its been bodged, and try and get photos of the damage before repair, then you can get a bargain. My old Elise was a CAT C, was repaired well and performed faultlessly for a year, and sold fairly easily as for many, it was the only way to own a car like it.

Good luck! :)