ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Catastrophic failure

2005 Clio 182 FF
hi

I've had the worst thing happen. Aux belt let go taking everything with it. Damage is as follows

Bent valves
Timing belt
Aux belt
Pas pump
Idlers
Bottom pulley
The casing around the pulley

Basically have a few questions

1. how do I take the head off? I have all the genuine Renault locking tools.

2. Engine or rebuild? I wouldn't mind adding a bit of performance , cams etc.

3. is it possible to replace the plate that's behind the bottom pulley with engine in?

4. Where is the oil pump?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
@gambit off here was selling a head that has been fully ported by ALD and would be a good replacement. You could then add some cams at the same time as fitting it and then getting a new timing belt.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Probably easier to replace the engine, but if you fancy a little project, rebuilding her might be an option, and you can sling some Gucci bits at it too.

2005 Clio 182 FF
Project isn't really a option , need the car back on the road as its my daily and I'm using a borrowed car, I don't want to take the piss with the amount of time. What's the difference between a 172 engine and a 182 engine?

Which is why I'm thinking of engine swap but I don't really want to swap the original motor out tbh.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
If you're in a rush then a second hand engine is the way to go. Rebuilding it to a good standard is not something you'll do in a day, swapping the engine out is.

Also, if you're having to ask how to take the head off, do you really have the knowledge/expertise to be doing the job? Having the correct tools is one thing, knowing how to use them is another thing.

2005 Clio 182 FF
If you're in a rush then a second hand engine is the way to go. Rebuilding it to a good standard is not something you'll do in a day, swapping the engine out is.

Also, if you're having to ask how to take the head off, do you really have the knowledge/expertise to be doing the job? Having the correct tools is one thing, knowing how to use them is another thing.
Just because you ask a question does t mean you don't have the expertise/knowledge. I don't have access to all the Renault manuals so I'm not sure how to remove the head without doing damage hence I'm asking the question.
Nobody here knew how to do these things without consulting a manual or asking a question. There may also be stuff to be particularly careful of.

I've done the belts before on the f4r apart from access it's not too bad when you have all of the proper tools.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
By the time the head is done and it's back together it's going to be 2 weeks at best and with a new belt, dephaser, water pump etc, you will be in it for near a grand,
Good used engine off of here is the way

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Stick a new engine in it, don't bother faffing around trying to fix whats in there.
It'd be much easier to do the belts on a donor engine when it's out of the car as well.

phase 1 flamer 172
Yeah fit another engine to get you up and running, then rebuild yours at leisure adding nice parts as required.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
What everyone else has said.

Get a decent used engine in their.

The 182/172 engines are basically the same, either will fit. The chances of finding a lower mileage 182 motor is more likely though because of the age.

dan's cast offs.
what's the mileage on the old engine? was it an ok one before the belt went?

pointless buying new shoes if you only need a pair of laces:wink:

2005 Clio 182 FF
what's the mileage on the old engine? was it an ok one before the belt went?

pointless buying new shoes if you only need a pair of laces:wink:
Engine was spot on never gave any trouble, serviced every 5k. It's on 91k miles , easy miles never seen a track

dan's cast offs.
me personally i'd be looking at either sorting the head out or throwing another one on it.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Neither of which can be done very quickly if the valves are bent.

OP needs the car up and running ASAP, you can knock out an engine swap easily in a weekend as I'm assuming he works 9-5 during the week and probs doesn't wanna take loads of time off work just to fix a broken car.

2005 Clio 182 FF
I may be able so get my hands on a donor 182 if the price is right, engine swap sounds like the only way, I work shift so don't have the time to be messing around. I don't have a garage either so this is all driveway job. Not ideal but I've done it before on other cars in the open.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
am missing something there? takes longer to swap a head if the valves are bent on the one you're taking off?

If you've managed to get your hands on a decent head, full gasket set, head bolts etc etc etc

or find somoene with an engine going spare.