ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat's Clio 172

More poke than viagr
Alright mate car looks good, are they the wind deflectors you posted a link to in my thread? They look good and want a set lol :cool:

Clio 172 ph1 with ITB's
My new studs arrived from Pure motor sport, so set about getting them all fitted:
DSCF0514.gif

DSCF0516.gif

Before (note I NEVER painted the caliper or chose drilled rear disks!!):
DSCF0519.gif

DSCF0521.gif

After:
DSCF0517.gif

DSCF0522.gif

I also removed the brake disk screws since they where no longer needed, although noticed some where nicely cross threaded. Lovely.

Also I have booked it into Clarke motorsport to get the aircon removal kit fitted as I can't be arsed to fit it myself and I dinna want to pay for a renault tool to use it once or twice!

Also might get the timing belt done as it was meant to be done 10k ago but no receipts to prove it actually has been.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Good to see its getting some love!

you better hope u never see me else ill demand the keys haha!

Clio 172 ph1 with ITB's
Good to see its getting some love!

you better hope u never see me else ill demand the keys haha!

That refering to swinging? :eek:

has danny not pm'd you?
Nah he aint mate

Use 2 nuts tightened into each other on the end of each stud. Plus a bit of high strength lock tigh wouldn't go a miss.

Or use vice grips and again lock tite.

I also went to a body shop today to get it cleaned up like it deserves so should be getting that done next month. woooo

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
lol not quite.. just ask mat.. i have a habbit of seeing my old cars and still feeling like i have the right to demand a drive...

luckly mat was always very fothcoming and handed the keys straight over haha

bodied 172 Ph1
I wouldn't have done after I'd modded it! You'd have broken it! haha

lol not quite.. just ask mat.. i have a habbit of seeing my old cars and still feeling like i have the right to demand a drive...

luckly mat was always very fothcoming and handed the keys straight over haha

Clio 172 ph1 with ITB's
Small update for today, did a little service of oil and filters, was wanting to do spark plugs but no local places had them so bought some off ebay. Boring pic of oil and fuel filter:
DSCF0529.gif

Yesterday I also got a full set of goodyear eagle f1's fitted as the tyres on it where pishy proxes, 1 was pretty low and another tyre was a ditchfinder.
DSCF0545.gif

DSCF0546.gif

Also got the timing belt kit ordered up from Renault for fitment at the same time as the aircon removal just to be safe as well as a new water pump.

Clio 172 ph1 with ITB's
Nice to see your 172 mate,shame i wasnt in aberdeen longer could of met up.

Aaron

Yeah it was a shame man, should have given me a shout fool :D

another wee update for today, I was offshore for the last week so dropped off the car to Clarke motorsport in kintore to get a few things fitted. I got back home yesterday to the following parts:
Alloy footrest:
DSCF0568.gif

Magnecore ignition leads:
DSCF0569.gif

So I took today off to sort out the garage that has just been built, get my tools and numerous s**t out of my room. Although that aint anything to do with the car really, but I also got it back from Clarke motorsport all finished :)

Pics of the stuff they did:
DSCF0570.gif

DSCF0571.gif

DSCF0572.gif

DSCF0574.gif

DSCF0575.gif

DSCF0580.gif

DSCF0586.gif

What was taken off the car, box was pretty heavy like, couldn't be arsed to weight it to see how much weight has been removed though:
DSCF0577.gif

Fitment of footrest which wasn't that quick due to some gimp crossing the thread on the bolt that holds it down :(:
Before:
DSCF0576.gif

After:
DSCF0585.gif

Also changed the plugs while I was changing the leads, would be rude not to:
Before (same pics again but I'm lazy :D:
DSCF0575.gif

After:
DSCF0579.gif

Old and new plugs together:
DSCF0578.gif

Whilst I was getting the aircon removed with the pure motorsport kit, I thought I may as well get the timing belt done and water pump just incase as to fit the pure motorsport kit most of hte process was the same as the timing belt so no point in messing about in my eyes. Pump and timing belt where genuine renault items, although renault aberdeen are almost impossible to get hold of, useless.

Also I thought I'd get the tracking and camber and stuff checked over as it didn't feel that great handling as it should, will upload the graph as soon as I can but it was TOTALLY out. And they also mentioned a subframe bolt was loose, really loose . . .

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
lol that bolt was cross threaded when i got it, i tred sorting it but got fed up of basing my head.

suspension is different from what i had on it so i hold no responsibility for that one lol

nice to see her getting some love :D

Clio 172 ph1 with ITB's
lol that bolt was cross threaded when i got it, i tred sorting it but got fed up of basing my head.

suspension is different from what i had on it so i hold no responsibility for that one lol

nice to see her getting some love :D

Oh dear lol Bit of tefloning there? :D Nah don't worry about it, I don't expect the car to be perfect but it's a long process sorting out the wee problems, although that one is a school boy error that I can't believe it wasn't picked up at all by anyone.

I was wondering that too, think he means the tensioning bar thing (technical term) to stop the alternator falling off lol.

Oh and give me a shout if your aircon condenser unit isn't screwed, I might know a home for it.

I honestly don't know mate as the air con never worked, the light didn't even come on when I pressed the button so no point in it taking up space, adding weight and using power for nothing so hence why it went.
I couldn't sell it saying it was working with a good consciounces due to not seeing it/feeling the cold air myself. Although it could still be compressing like.

Yeah I thought it was the alternator tensioner he was talking about like.

bodied 172 Ph1
I had no idea about the problems you're having!
The aircon used to work, the light on the dash came on when I sold it, but of course, the aircon didn't work due to the omex!

bodied 172 Ph1
ha, I just read that back, it does sound a bit defensive! It wasn't intended to sound arsey! Sorry

Clio 172 ph1 with ITB's
nah man, like I said to laura I don't blame anything on either of you, it's just the joys of buying a used car.

Just stating things I've found and my thoughts really, it's not meant in a bad way really buddy :)

Also forgot to add the guy at clark motorsport said the pure motorsport aircon removal kit was a good bit of kit as well.

Soon it should be off to get sprayed and undersealed so it's awesomely mint :) Although it hardly needs it tbh, the bodywork is very good already for it's age but I'm pretty demanding when it comes to the condition of my car, mechanically and bodywork wise.

But it's a moot point though if the aircon worked or not, it's sitting in the shed now lol And I always rip that rubbish out of a car if it has it as well lol

Last edited:
  Clio 172
A wee pic for you of your car in Clark Motorpsort, I was in getting my AST top mounts fitted and a suspension realignment done.

4660348801_acafee1ab7_b.jpg

I see you got your plugs but for reference Dingbro stock them.
I'll have to speak to Clarks and see what they did to remove the aircon matrix looks like a bit of weight saving to be had there.

Clio 172 ph1 with ITB's
Your car looks just like mine, but newer :( lol

Few updates for today:
Samco hosing has arrived, will hopefully fit tomorrow:
DSCF0587.gif

And I always wondered where the breather from the rocker cover was from this engine as all cars have one usually into the inlet track and itb'd cars usually have a breather filter, well I found it today and it was just a pipe venting to atmosphere, tbh I couldn't care less that it was, but John Q Law might so I threw on my piper cross breather filter I had lying about and will help crap not get into there:
DSCF0591.gif

DSCF0592.gif