ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caught on a Gatso

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

I got flashed by a Gatso last night coming back from Aylesbury. Now, I have been flashed before, but nothing has ever come of it. In preparation for the letter from the law (which may or may not come) I just wanted to know what I can do with regard to requesting pictures, what you get through the post etc etc. Basically I want to make it as hard as possible for them to get any money out of me. Can I request to see calibration certificates etc etc?

Im an awkward b*****d you see.

Paul

GR7

Shiny red R32

Hopefully there was no film in the camera! A guy who works for InRoads near me said that within quite a large radius around the A1 area in the Lothians, there are sixteen of these gatsos, but only two have film in at any one time. You could be lucky, unless you are in an area which has a higher percentage of film in.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Yerr I have heard about 5% have film in them. When the digital cameras come into effect we are all screwed then ! They send the images direct to Pig headquaters.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Paul and CB, just imagine all the paper work if there was film in every camera, as possibly many people would be caught several times along a twenty mile stretch!

A mate politely requested to see a calibration cert. for a hand held radar gun - plod couldnt produce one and so it went no further. Not sure if it will apply with the gatso but got to be worth a try!

Good Luck

172 Cup

Ask to see the photo stating you cannot remember who was driving the car at the time. (Perhaps you lent it to someone on that day but just cant remember who was driving at the time the photo was taken)

When the photo arrives just tell them that it is impossible to tell who is driving.

They have got a set amount of time (fourteen days I think) to send you a N.I.P. (Notice of Intent to Prosecute) from the date of the offence.

If you get one then arrange to go and see the photos at the mobile camera unit.

alternatively, you could accept the fact you were speeding and that the camera may have been there for a reason and pay the fine!

Sorry, dont mean to sound like a condescending t**t there. Some cameras are a pain especially when sighted where you cant see them, which is bang out of order. But if you get caught by a camera I think you should just pay the fine and accept it. Cameras are usually there for a reason ( even if that reason is to raise funds for the police force. Oops, did I say that. )

You cant get away with it by saying you dont know who was driving cos if thats the case they charge the owner of the vehicle no matter what!

I am not talking about no paying the fine. I am talking about being as awkward as possible.

Paul

Paul mate, dont worry theres loads of ways of getting out of it.

firstly as GR says it probably wont come though.

If it does come through as far as Im aware all gatsos should now have a big yellow sticker on them, plus I think all gatsos must also have a clear sign within a centain amount off metres from them showing that it is a speed camera area. I dont know if these 2 things are the law or not, if they are and the gatso that flashed you didnt have either 1 of these 2 then you may not have to pay.

Failing both of these then just politly reply to their letter saying something like, your relitive from another country (eg Australia) was visiting you for that week as he/she is on a tour of Europe and make up a fake address(they wont check this)and say at the end of the letter that they are welcome to write to your relitive, but he/she wont be back home for 3 months.

Or another example would be to say that you have lent your car out to a number of different people over the last few weeks/months and you are not totally sure who had it on that date. Give a list of names and addresses (this can be real or fake, they wont check) tell them they are welcome to write to all of them to find out which person it was.

I know people that have used both these methods and they have worked, my Dad used the first one letter example and just got a reply on the lines of please be more carefull who borrows your car in the future and make sure they know the speed limits

Rich

PMitchell,

Where in Aylesbury did you get flashed?

I live in Aylesbury and was caught doing 39mph down Buckingham Road. An unmarked small police van with black rods poking out the back window caught me. I know this because since being caught I dont exceed 30mph and saw it parked on the grass opposite the Rover/MG garage. Problem is the van turns up any day and therefore has no fixed pattern of when it will be there.

By the way, Renault Aylesbury have a clio cup in their showroom. And whoa, does that colour look good especially with the wheels. Not that keen on the inside, although if I do get one Ill get some proper reclining competition seats for it. So hopefully it might improve the look of it on the inside.

Cheers all.

Ben I was actually caught in High Wycombe, just before you turn off down that road which brings you out to the M40.

Paul

172 Cup

"Personally I find myself sticking to 30s and 40s pretty religiously due to the kids/cameras/control issues"

"its 30 for a reason"

"over 30 deserves points and a fine"

All posted by your good self paul on 12th May!!! LOL

FRS Mk3 Red edition

pmitchell
practice what you preached to me approx 3 months ago.(see above)
if you were speeding then you are in the wrong and should take the consequences rather than trying to find a way out.

St Horne as I have already said, Im not trying to find a way out. Im trying to be awkward.

Griff, you have caught me out. My speedo was reading about 35mph when I got flashed....and I was not concentrating fully, just keeping with the flow of traffic....didnt even notice the camera (partially hidden)

Having said that, I cant beleive you remembered and found what I had written! You sad man!

Well done, Im feeling gutted.

Paul

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

"My speedo was reading about 35mph when I got flashed....and I was not concentrating fully, just keeping with the flow of traffic....didnt even notice the camera (partially hidden)"

Surely you would have noticed the other people getting flashed as well if you where going with the flow of traffic and you got flashed ?

172 Cup

LOL

I only remembered because you made such a fuss about driving at the speed limit. If you were to recall I was saying that it was dificult to drive at exactly 30 as it was easy for the speed to increase slightly without you noticing.

Ofcourse you told me that it was easy to drive at 30 and if you got caught speeding you deserved everything you got.

Bet your wishing I hadnt remembered now!! I might look sad but at least Im not a hipocrite who now looks stupid

Try the excuse where you say you cant remember. It does work as I have used it with my girlfriends car. You have to be strong as they do threaten you. To assign points they have to be certain on the driver and if you say you cant remember then they cant assign any points....

Dont keep using it though as its the sort of thing that only works once!

Yep Griff accepted. However I could have not put anything about it on here at all...I can take it on the chin!

And Chavy, thats somthing I can not understand...the Rover in front must have been travelling fractionally slower than me, albeit a good 5/6 cars lengths in front (as I leave nice big gaps cos Im a good safe driver )

As you can tell, were now all bored cos its Fri afternoon.

And I spose I am concious of speeding in 30s and 40s as I know what its like to get hit by a car.

Paul

clio 20v

this is bollox most cameras are hidden and are never near accident blackspots ,schools ,etc, they are purely to make plod money, im not condoning speeding but im sure every1s strayed a few mile an hour over the speed limit and youd be gutted if you got caught by a hidden camera when you had every intension of sticking to the speed limit, if your caning it you deserve the fine for being stupid!

Clio v6

I understand your not trying to get out of it.

What I dont get is "the Rover in front must have been travelling fractionally slower than me",

Now I am Irish and still dont see how that works.

PS

The V6 may give you the opertunity to repeat this post more often LoL

What I meant was that there was no discernable closing of the gap between the Rover and I, even as he went thru the camera. I mean theres got to come a point in the speed detection where it either fires or not. And that is probably only say 1mph. Not enough of a speed difference to notice a gap difference.

All getting to technical now.

And there was 2 flashes.

Paul

When they send you a NIP the do it recorded post, so you have to sign for it. Just dont sign for it when the postie knocks on the door every morning. Then the 14 days you have to recieve it will pass so it wont be valid. I think this might work??

If you got caught there really nothing of any use you can do about it...

However if you had slammed on the brakes, clipped a curb and crashed into an on coming car - u could probably sue the b******s who put it there and startling you

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Did the flash temporarily cause blindness and did you end up with whiplash??? The shock may have also caused some mental instability get it checked out!!

190 BHP Willy 2

BenS
I too live in aylesbury, ive got a n reg, blue valver with voodoos on. cant say ive seen you about but ill look out for you.
Have you noticed the police are out in force at the moment? They are always down the layby by the renault garage and walton street etc, they do my head in.

Scott

I disagree toatally with what some people are saying here !!.

Paul, I think you should try your utmost to avoid paying and you SHOULD wiggle out of it if you can.

Why should you let the government rob you again out of your hard earned. After all, although the gov. allow the police to keep either a percentage or all of the fines, they are still saving money from the taxes we pay.

The issue of speeding in a 30 zone, yes I must agree its wrong, but imo bloody more dangerous than speeding a little. I know in my case in a 30 my eyes are fixed more to the speedo than they are the road and environment around me, therefore I am more dangerous in a 30 mph zone.

If they REALLY want us to do 30 or less in a 30 zone, they could have humps in the road (it works around my town), instead of their extortionate, profiteering scams.

Paul, try to avoid paying it mate, we are robbed and then robbed again by the government, us damn Brits are to complacent and take all the bullsh*t we have thrown at us by the powers that are meant to be working for us, not against us. For example the petrol crisis: If we all would have suffered for 2 weeks of not driving to work and all, It would not have failed due to our selfishness.

New british motto, Im alright Jack, Fk you.

Okie....I have put my soapbox away for another year.

Bill.

I was round my Dads the other day and hes bought a new type of snooper. It doesnt just beep when your near a gatso or a police man with a speed gun, it also has a radar jammer and completly stops the spead checking device from working. So basicly you can speed though any gatso or police man with a speed gun and neither will be able to tell how fast you are going. It cost under £200 as well!

As stated above, the police have fourteen days to make reasonable attem pts to serve upon the driver an NIP (Notice of intended prosecution), if youre not served one at the time...at an accident scene for instance. They dont have to serve it personally, only post it to you. They will also request drivers details, and you have to supply them by law. If you do not, you become liable for the offence anyway.
Gatsos do not have to be calibrated in the same way as Muniquip or Police Pilot, as they are only taking a photograph, and the calibration comes from when they paint the lines on the road. The colour and signs for cameras arent law...yet.
I know it costs Thames Valley Police £85 to recover every £60 fine, so the police may not want to persue it too hard....
If you supply ficticous driver details, and they cannot trace them (and they will try) you commit an offence of perverting the course of justice, which carries a maximum prison sentence of ten years....
Keep your fingers crossed until the 23rd, and then buy the most expensive radar detector you can afford.

surely theres a time and a place for speeding and its not where they have placed a speed camera. Most of them are there for a reason.

Why dont you just accept that if you get caught speeding, you have to pay the fine. Its one thing to complain about getting caught doing 90 on a clear motorway, another thing entirely when speeding through a village or town.

If you cant drive your car within a couple of miles an hour of the limit without having to constantly stare at the speedo, then you probably shouldnt be driving in the first place.

Quotes By PaulG:

::urely theres a time and a place for speeding and its not where they have placed a speed camera. Most of them are there for a reason.

Please, enlighten us, where is the time or the place, speeding is speeding surely ?

:::Why dont you just accept that if you get caught speeding, you have to pay the fine. Its one thing to complain about getting caught doing 90 on a clear motorway, another thing entirely when speeding through a village or town.

Number one, why should we all be yes men and take whatever is thrown at us. I quote myself: If they REALLY want us to do 30 or less in a 30 zone, they could have humps in the road (it works around my town), instead of their extortionate, profiteering scams. Unquote: Its all a big scam to make more revenue.

::f you cant drive your car within a couple of miles an hour of the limit without having to constantly stare at the speedo, then you probably shouldnt be driving in the first place.

So they made a 172 with a hud right ?. Mate, if you can estimate within a couple of miles an hour the speed of your or any car I take my hat off to you. You are god and I will sell my Williams and never drive again......you should be on the police force as you would save the force an absolute fortune in radar equipment by guessing the velocity of the offending vehicles.

Bill.

BMW 320d Sport

well I can understand wanting to be a nuisance about this. Whenever I get parking tickets I always question the markings on the road, the restriction signs etc, just to make sure that if I do end up paying a fine, at least Ive messed up their schedule because they have to send someone out to inspect the area etc.

Ive had plenty of experience in the area of GATSOs and AFAIK:

If the NIP arrives within 14 days, a defence that you couldnt remember will be hard to justify. There is no legal requirement for a private individual to keep records of who was driving but magistrates are unlikely to believe this defence unless the time between the alleged offence and the NIP is over 14 days.

There are cases where the old friend from abroad trick has worked and many more where it hasnt.

You can arrange to see the original evidence. It is much bigger than the picture you will see on your NIP and they can enhance it to show more detail. If there is no clear way of discerning the driver you have a stronger case for not remembering. Although the wording of the NIP suggests that you as the owner will be prosecuted unless you can name the driver, the basic principle still applies that they *must* prove or be told the identity of the driver otherwise they have no one to apply the points to.

BTW I have had charges of withholding the name of the driver and driving in excess of the speed limit both withdrawn by the CPS through nifty correspondence. They will try every threat they can think of to get a conviction, but at the end of the day, if their evidence is insufficient (ie no clear picture of the driver and an ambiguous admission from the owner eg it could have been me, the wife, the next door neighbour etc) they will withdraw the charge rather than let it go to court where there is a strong chance of them losing, thus setting a precedent.