ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Celica gt4/nissan 200sx?

Evo 6, E92 320d
These are the cars i've narrowed my choice down to for the end of the month. I know a fair chunk of info on the s14a (my choice of 200) but not so much in regards to the celica. I only drive 18miles a day and the clio will average 35-40mpg, i know the 200 will get around 30mpg if i drive sensibly. Rust seems the main issue on the 200 but other than that nothing too serious.
Running costs aren't a major issue as i have no life:dapprove: but plenty of disposable income.
I like the celica due to it rareness( in my area at least), are there any owners or ex owners of the gt4 here with any exerience.

Jag Mondeo -Type
Loads of info on celica-club.co.uk
From what I've read they have a reputation of being very expensive to run, but that's not first-hand knowledge.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I had a look for a GT4 a few weeks ago to replace my S13, there are very very few decent ones about without asking stupid money for one. It'll be much easier to find an S14a I think.

Clio 172
Ive had both. 200 is cheaper to run insure and mod but celica is faster and better to drive, although on saying that the rear wheel drive factor is more fun on the 200 but again 4x4 handles better. I prefer the looks of the celica but driving the 200 was better

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
are you mad? i had my 200 which was much faster and handled much better than any gt4 i have ever driven... ok my 200 was stage 2-3 but the gt4 felt really horrible to drive and i drove 3 and they were all the same, one was the wrc version with the antilag (which was the only good thing about it and that broke more than i take a poo lol)

Clio 172
are you mad? i had my 200 which was much faster and handled much better than any gt4 i have ever driven... ok my 200 was stage 2-3 but the gt4 felt really horrible to drive and i drove 3 and they were all the same, one was the wrc version with the antilag (which was the only good thing about it and that broke more than i take a poo lol)

Lol my 200 was standard and didnt have it long tbf but i never had a problem with my GT4

Clio 172
Yup mine was a white WRC sold it to a guy from scotland think he still has it. The only thing that went was the intercooler the pipes split so bought a front mount for it

Clio 172
i had a 350bhp s14a have a look over on www.sxoc.com fourms search for ryangt ! think there a video on there as well gt28175r turbo power ! spent like 5000 on it not much went past it !

Artic 182
Lol at an S14a outhandling a GT4. They are SAVAGE, sure you can make it round the corner in it, providing you dont want to accelerate through it

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
my 200 i had with a good handling settup and a 2 way diff i took corners quicker that a mate in his 172 ... make of that what you want, but i guarantee a well set up rwd will out handle a fwd or awd car

infact i posted on here before a video of a integra dc2, which is well known for being one of the best handling fwd cars, against a 200sx that was sorted in handling, both cars had equal mods done and driven by 2 of the best drivers in the world (jgtc and lemans drivers as well as well known japanese drifters) and the 200 beat it... and if gt4's are so SAVAGE why is it there are pretty much NO high powered ones in the uk and im pretty sure there wasnt any in ten of the best this year, but still there was a mg metro... so yeh MEGA SAVAGE

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
[youtube]A8MLBj-z0eU[/youtube]

there ya go...

oh and dont even think about saying about celicas used in world rally champs as there is pretty much NOTHING similar about them lol

Artic 182
I didnt say GT4's are savage. I said 200's are savage. Duh. I have a few mates with S14's, try and do anything bar deaccellerate in a corner and they will snap sideways. Hence why they are widely regarded as one of the best DRIFT chassis' in the world. Long wheel bass, very light rear end and shallow steering. My brother infact has a track spec'd 200 stage 1 at 297bhp on Tein superstreets, Rota drifts, and sticky tyres, my 182 runs circles around it, as did my 106...
DSCF2951.jpg

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
lol im sorry but i owned a pretty powerful 200sx i know how they handle and i know they dont snap in corners if you do anything but de accellerate...

and tein coilovers for a track car?? not very track focused then is it! teins are terrible!! especially super streets which are pretty much the most basic dampers tein do! you really have no idea of what a properly settup 200sx is capable of and you wont see 297bhp on stage1 no chance in hell! you wont get a huge amount more than that on stage 3!

A dude quite local to me has a GT4, if he comes to sell it & it's as good as I think it is, i'm having it. I've liked it for ages now:)

Artic 182
lol im sorry but i owned a pretty powerful 200sx i know how they handle and i know they dont snap in corners if you do anything but de accellerate...

and tein coilovers for a track car?? not very track focused then is it! teins are terrible!! especially super streets which are pretty much the most basic dampers tein do! you really have no idea of what a properly settup 200sx is capable of and you wont see 297bhp on stage1 no chance in hell! you wont get a huge amount more than that on stage 3!

b****cks. Rolling roaded and proved. Have another mate running stage one on 299bhp. And don't claim roller innacuracy. Nothing wrong with Tein either, i may have the wrong models, his are the fully adjustable camber/castor with pre load?

I think you should accept that the GT4 is the better out of the box car. I've come accross countless 200's in my track history, they are easy prey once you stretch into some bends because you simply cannot power through them. I suppose they all had badly setup cars aswell though;)

Black Clio GT
both are nice cars but i prefer the gt4 because of rareness, but to put a spanner in the works what about pulsar??? same engine as the 200sx with 4x4 set up........

Not much will beat a 300bhp sx in a straight line. Tried and tested. Corners are fine once you can handle them..

300bhp will see a mid 13 1/4 or should do.

ITB'd MK1
also remember with 4wd you have far greater drivetrain losses. average losses from a 300bhp 200 is 45bhp, i'd expect 80+ from a celica

Black Clio GT
pulsar engine is very different. think the only part that's the same is the crank

thought they were both sr20 det lumps?? shows you i dont know that much about jap stuff, are they not a decent mix of the 200 and gt4 if you couldnt decide between the two??!!

ValverInBits
celica is faster and better to drive.......

I prefer the looks of the celica but driving the 200 was better

dude wtf?

Having driven neither but been out in an S14 i'd say that the 200 would be the choice bang-for-buck. but the celica is a far more interesting car for me.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
thought they were both sr20 det lumps?? shows you i dont know that much about jap stuff, are they not a decent mix of the 200 and gt4 if you couldnt decide between the two??!!
They both have the SR20DET engine code but are both different engines, I dont understand the differences either though tbh.

Having owned an S13 I can safely and honestly say that unless S14s are completely different cars with very different chassis' then a 200 DOES handle. My S13 was on stock suspension and I could throw it into a corner with the same amount of confidence I can my 172, maybe even more so but then I've not had the 172 as long as the S13. Yes its true too much power whilst your going through a corner will see the back end come loose a bit, but put on too much power in your clio and you'll understeer instead. I know which one I prefer the car to do. I haven't driven a GT4 but they are rare, and decent ones are even rarer. I would say go with a 200 personally.

Black Clio GT
They both have the SR20DET engine code but are both different engines, I dont understand the differences either though tbh.

Having owned an S13 I can safely and honestly say that unless S14s are completely different cars with very different chassis' then a 200 DOES handle. My S13 was on stock suspension and I could throw it into a corner with the same amount of confidence I can my 172, maybe even more so but then I've not had the 172 as long as the S13. Yes its true too much power whilst your going through a corner will see the back end come loose a bit, but put on too much power in your clio and you'll understeer instead. I know which one I prefer the car to do. I haven't driven a GT4 but they are rare, and decent ones are even rarer. I would say go with a 200 personally.

bet thats fun trying to order engine parts then lol

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
b****cks. Rolling roaded and proved. Have another mate running stage one on 299bhp. And don't claim roller innacuracy. Nothing wrong with Tein either, i may have the wrong models, his are the fully adjustable camber/castor with pre load?

I think you should accept that the GT4 is the better out of the box car. I've come accross countless 200's in my track history, they are easy prey once you stretch into some bends because you simply cannot power through them. I suppose they all had badly setup cars aswell though;)

was it wheel power or fly power cos if its fly its a bull s**t figure!! i bet it was 240ish at the wheels the ONLY and i mean ONLY way you will get a fly figure is on an engine dyno... im telling you now i know ALOT about sr20det engines, and im telling you on a stage one, which is stock turbo, an induction kit, exhaust with decat and possibly turbo elbow and a front mount, fuel pump, and stage one chip, there is NO WAY IN HELL you are making 299bhp at the wheels, and at the wheels figure is the only figure that is worth taking notice of!

tein are not good coilovers, ask someone like rob fenn who drives nsx's and races competitively, as ANYONE that races and takes track work seriously and NONE and i mean NONE of them that are serious will touch tein! they just arent as good as some miss informed people think they are! tein you pay for the name and average components! im not talking s**t its WELL known! the camber is controlled by the top plates, the rest is done by the arms, the preload most coilovers allow you to adjust on them...

sideways danny on here who builds engines and knows the sr20 inside and out will also back me up there is NO WAY anyone is running near 300bhp at the wheels and like i said the fly figure is a % that is thought up and added to the wheel figure, it isnt accurate and it is a thought up % and figure so quote me a wheel figure and then we can discuss it!

the sr20det in the pulsar has iirc diff compression pistons, different head and runs individual throttle bodies, with no vvt... and with a few mods pulsars can handle well... and a scooby understeers alot more than a pulsar lol.

Artic 182
I am talking fly figures mate. Never mentioned wheel figures which whilst you are right in saying they are most accurate they are still less common terminology. Frost Motorsport in Ipswich houses a 100% BANG ON set of rollers. Ask anyone that has been there (EA Rolling meet is always held there) Seen countless standard cars make standard figures on it so i have no reason to believe it is out. And you are quite correct on stage one, FMIC, elbow, Induction, Nurspec, 255walbro, EBC, and chip.

Your argument seems to be based upon comments i simply havnt made

rps13
That figure is probably from a generous rolling road. Not saying he didn't get that result.

On those modifications the max you could safely run (and before the turbo becomes inefficient) is 1.2 bar. The standard head gasket will s**t the bed with any more anyway, any level headed modifier would stop there. I'm pretty sure without more modifications 297hp isn't possible stock turbo/injector wise.

However, find out what boost he's running and who mapped it because 300hp with the same mods as me sounds like a sweet deal!

Oh and Chris I think you should go with the celica if you want outright power and speed, 200sx if you want a fun car to drive.

ITB'd MK1
I am talking fly figures mate. Never mentioned wheel figures which whilst you are right in saying they are most accurate they are still less common terminology. Frost Motorsport in Ipswich houses a 100% BANG ON set of rollers. Ask anyone that has been there (EA Rolling meet is always held there) Seen countless standard cars make standard figures on it so i have no reason to believe it is out. And you are quite correct on stage one, FMIC, elbow, Induction, Nurspec, 255walbro, EBC, and chip.

Your argument seems to be based upon comments i simply havnt made

go to APT, see what you make. Garys rollers are pretty bob on, I've run more than 1 car there and happily would any time.

Stage 1 s14s generally make 260-270 BTW, the injectors and AFM on their sensible limit about there. Yeah ok i SQUEEZED 294 out of stock injectors and AFM on a CA (still a record IIRC ;) ) but i was taking the piss somewhat.

Last edited:
  Mustang, S13, AX GT
That figure is probably from a generous rolling road. Not saying he didn't get that result.

On those modifications the max you could safely run (and before the turbo becomes inefficient) is 1.2 bar. The standard head gasket will s**t the bed with any more anyway, any level headed modifier would stop there. I'm pretty sure without more modifications 297hp isn't possible stock turbo/injector wise.

However, find out what boost he's running and who mapped it because 300hp with the same mods as me sounds like a sweet deal!

Oh and Chris I think you should go with the celica if you want outright power and speed, 200sx if you want a fun car to drive.
To be honest, if he's making that kinda power I'd expect him to be running stage 1a/stage 2. Stage 1 doesnt use a FMIC, with a FMIC it should be 1a. Stage 2 only adds on 555cc injectors and H-Devs stage 2 S14a makes 290hp.

Evo 6, E92 320d
That youtube video is one of the reasons i want a 200sx, that champ s14 is great, love the sound when he lets of throttle. I guess for an easy ownership the 200 would be better? The main celica i would like is the last facelift, but for the price of that i could almost buy a focus rs.
Power wise i would be happy for 300ish bhp (for a bit) as i want it reliable and fairly economical car for day to day use.

Sx's really are fun to drive. I found my sx so much more fun than my bro's scoob which sadly all a can compare it too in terms of jap 4x4. Power is easy to get. Cheap to run. Ace driving position etc..For day to day use theyre quite refined too. I certainly have another -

mycar01.jpg

spolier001.jpg

And a little vid of when she was only around 250bhp -

th_MOV00147.jpg

clio 182 cup
dude wtf?

Having driven neither but been out in an S14 i'd say that the 200 would be the choice bang-for-buck. but the celica is a far more interesting car for me.

id prefer the gt4 anyday...but i suppose im biased....my gfs dads rolls in at 550bhp at the wheels plus 300bhps worth of nos on top of that. he wouldnt let me hit the big red button when he let me have a go
:( nonetheless a few brown moments were inevitable!!

id prefer the gt4 anyday...but i suppose im biased....my gfs dads rolls in at 550bhp at the wheels plus 300bhps worth of nos on top of that. he wouldnt let me hit the big red button when he let me have a go
:( nonetheless a few brown moments were inevitable!!

Cor gotta be close to 1000bhp at the fly..lmao