ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chances of putting supercharged type-r engine in clio

where on an F20 in NA trim will you get 235lb.ft!

I did a stock engine into a that corolla and got 252bhp......but nowhere does the honda engine get near 200+lb.ft torque!

Golf 7R
Dont care what people say and how good its meant to be - the CTR engine is a load of crap imo. Ive wiped out many on the strip including supercharged ones - a guy i know has a 350bhp CTR and hes lucky if he gets a 13.0 dead

There are quite a few S/C CTR's running in the 12's, and 1 thats run a 12 dead im well informed!

Megane Trophy
where on an F20 in NA trim will you get 235lb.ft!

I did a stock engine into a that corolla and got 252bhp......but nowhere does the honda engine get near 200+lb.ft torque!

I shall post up once dave walker has worked his magic ;)

from a 2.0ltr its physically impossible to get that.........even dave himself says that you'll peak at 96lb.ft/ltr.

235lb.ft at 6500rpm is 290hbp.............i think not sorry.

Honda Civic Type R
yeah there are plenty of s/c civic running sub 13's. it just depends on the charger. rotrex make well over 300bhp at 16+psi but only make max torque at 8000+ rpm. jackson racing has a much flatter torque curve and therefore produce more power earlier on. so usually a 290-300bhp jackson racing s/c civic is quicker than a 350-400bhp rotrex civic. it's all down to how the power is delivered. this jrsc vs rotrex argument has gone on for ages on the ctr forum but the figures speak for themselves. 12.0 is the quickest s/c civic and he's a got jackson racing one producing only 8psi

MERCEDES CLS AMG
There using Nitrous though ?? im running 12.0's flat without any gas at all.

12.6 european record ???

Quote from there new page
"CPL Team member Scott Whitelaw attended the Crail Raceway meeting in Scotland and broke yet more records in his Jackson Racing supercharged Civic Type R. Scott ran a 12.70 without using his nitrous and 12.6 with nitrous, making Scott’s car the quickest supercharged Civic in the UK. Scott also won the shoot-out"

And to only knock 0.1 off your time shows a bad set up

http://www.cplracing.co.uk/news.php

Last edited:
  182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Taken from CPL:

Scott of the CPL Racing team also put in an amazing performance in his Jackson Racing supercharged car. The previous record for a supercharged Honda was 12.6 seconds, held by Peter Cattell, however Scott smashed an amazing 0.6 seconds off the time, making the new European record just 12.0 seconds for a supercharged Honda at 119mph. A big well done to Scott and Guy.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Still using gas though - there a 1988 n/a Nova 2.0 16v running gas at the pod managing 11.9's .......12.0 qtr's in a charged CTR with gas is no achievement.

like i said, its the chassis.............honda civics do not make good drag chassis.

If you look at the fastest ones in the states, they basically have nothing rear of the drivers seat that resembles a civic.

172 ph1
235lb.ft is easy!

You just need to take your 170lb.ft car to one of the many ear tickling rolling roads up and down the country ;)

Last edited:
  Honda Civic Type R
There using Nitrous though ?? im running 12.0's flat without any gas at all.

12.6 european record ???

Quote from there new page
"CPL Team member Scott Whitelaw attended the Crail Raceway meeting in Scotland and broke yet more records in his Jackson Racing supercharged Civic Type R. Scott ran a 12.70 without using his nitrous and 12.6 with nitrous, making Scott’s car the quickest supercharged Civic in the UK. Scott also won the shoot-out"

And to only knock 0.1 off your time shows a bad set up

http://www.cplracing.co.uk/news.php

you're contradicting yourself a bit here mate. first you said a 350bhp ctr would be lucky to get a 13.0 dead. that's clearly a load of rubbish. Then you said he only managed to knock 0.1 seconds off with nos. With gas Scott managed to knock off over half a second. He ran a 12.0. The site has been updated. 12.6 was the european record for a s/c'd ctr. now it's 12.0.

whether or not the ep3 chassis is any good for the drag strip, I don't know. You probably know a lot more about drag racing than me. Are you running 12.0's with a turbo set up. everyone knows turbos will make a lot more power. I think 12.0 in a civic type r that hasn't undergone any drastic weight reduction and is still very drivable day to day (he drove it down from Scotland and back) is quite an achievement. It is true however that this is pretty much the limit with his current charger and set up. there's so much more potential with a turbo

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Read what i say ....."a guy i know has a 350bhp CTR and hes lucky if he gets a 13.0 dead" - this is one particular person that owns a 350bhp s/c civic and he can never get less than a 13.0 - this doesnt mean all s/c civics do this.

As ive said before a CTR thats supercharged and running gas hitting 12.0sec qtrs on the strip is ok but its not Jaw dropping material - Renault 5 turbos with 250bhp are hitting those times and that engine is a 20 year old design.

Type R's arent the best thing since sliced bread

back to the original question.....drop a VAG lump in your clio - im running 12.0 sec flat @ 127 mph on 17psi ( 1.2 bar ) the IHI VF34 is capable of producing 1.6 bar and when you blow 100bhp of Nitrous through that, you will probably see a 10. ?? quarter. There easy to convert and theres plenty of cheap tuning parts around

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
Hi all, Ive been thinking do you think it would be possible to put a supercharged civic typr-r engine in a mk3 clio. The same engine as the Aero Atom (i think)??

I thought if that could be pulled off then it would make the clio incredibly fast.

Any thoughts??

firstly why would you want to, secondly why not just keep it in a civic thirdly why oh why would you choose the ugliest shape clio to put it in!!

very true the new clio is wrong

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Matt..i have a question. If your clio had roughly 400BHP and weighed only 800kg or so how come it never cracked the 11's?? If a supercharged,still road legal civic can get 12.0 without 400bhp.

Does it really stuggle for traction i presume?

MERCEDES CLS AMG
gearing - working on it. Same engine is my mates Scirocco with modded gearing has run 11.3 @ 137 mph and the sciroccos heavier. Ive got the 6 speed in mine and the gears are to long - changing to 5 speed with launch control

You'll find the charged CTR running gas wont be so far off 400bhp

Mine is now fitted with Nitrous so 425bhp with 100 jets + the modded box with LC should knock 1 sec off my old time ..... we will find out next season

Last edited:
  Honda Civic Type R
Matt..i have a question. If your clio had roughly 400BHP and weighed only 800kg or so how come it never cracked the 11's?? If a supercharged,still road legal civic can get 12.0 without 400bhp.

Good point. My argument is that achieving a 12.0 in the civic which is heavier than a clio, still comfortable and not too noisy to drive, road legal and very reliable is quite impressive. Matt's clio has an entirely different engine, a powerful turbo, a lot less weight and more power. It is obviously very rapid and a good achievement by Matt to develop one of the fastest clio's around. However it is not that much quicker, if at all, than the civic. With gas he'd (Scott) be producing around 350bhp. So with all that extra weight and the fwd traction issues the chassis can't be that bad for drag racing to be running a 12.0. Impressive I think:cool:

Ben - do you gas flow the APY VAG heads ?? and how much

Yup.

They are most certainly not great.........i call them toilets because their port bowl mimic toilet bowls.

Your lucky that i have my new cnc valve seat machine which sort that issue out in a few minutes. Combine that with portwork and your set, you could see just how much diff it would make without changing anything else bar the map......oh, inlet and ex required aswell to check and alter ports to suit.

£350-650 dependant on how far you want to go.

Ph1

Good point. My argument is that achieving a 12.0 in the civic which is heavier than a clio, still comfortable and not too noisy to drive, road legal and very reliable is quite impressive. Matt's clio has an entirely different engine, a powerful turbo, a lot less weight and more power. It is obviously very rapid and a good achievement by Matt to develop one of the fastest clio's around. However it is not that much quicker, if at all, than the civic. With gas he'd (Scott) be producing around 350bhp. So with all that extra weight and the fwd traction issues the chassis can't be that bad for drag racing to be running a 12.0. Impressive I think:cool:

Think your living in dream land if you think you can build a car capable on paper of a 12 second quarter and that you can just jump straight in it and actually run a 12 second quarter all day long till the cows come home.

Honda Civic Type R

Think your living in dream land if you think you can build a car capable on paper of a 12 second quarter and that you can just jump straight in it and actually run a 12 second quarter all day long till the cows come home.

i'm not sure what you mean mate. he quite clearly has built a car capable of running 12.0 because he has actually run a 12.0. so why's that a dreamland. he does nothing to his car excpet for maybe lowering the tyre pressures for traction. but everything else is setup how the car is everyday. who said he could do it all day long, 10 times out of 10 or whatever. nobody said that. the point is he's done it and so holds the record.

Matt's clio is lighter, has a totally different engine, a turbo, a lot more boost and undoubtedly less reliable and he hasn't managed to beat a s/c'd ctr. guy's turbo'd ctr is now into the tens without gas so considering it's a lot heavier than a clio the engine can't be that bad can it.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Ive raced lots of supercharged CTR's and left them for dead ( 12.0 @ 122MPH // 0 - 60mph in 3.9 secs )

Reliable ?? its been running 400 bhp for 12 months without a hicup ??

Into the 10's ...... when - were ????

Last edited:
  Honda Civic Type R
and so you should. your car has more power and less weight. you're even using a completely different engine so technically it's not 100% a clio. i'm sure your car is very impressive but all i'm saying is that if you're not quicker than Scott's s/c'd ctr with 356bhp and more weight than you can't really say the civic engines are crap.

stick a turbo in a ctr and it'll blow yours away i.e Guy's. his turbo set up is making near 600bhp so I go back to what i was saying before. How can the k20 engine be a load of crap

p.s the 'into the 10's' comment is in reference to next season. i'm a bit premature here coz technically he hasn't done it yet but after speaking to him he said he's got something special up his sleeve and he'll even be able to give some (not all) of the 4wd boys a run for their money. watch this space.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Well the Audi Lump is good for way above 600 bhp - in the states they've got them running 8 sec quarters. The problem with mine was the gearing. My mate has run an 11.1 now in his car which has the same set up as mine but with a custom built box. He was running 100bhp of Gas with that. His terminal was 137mph and a 0 - 60 foot of 1.7 seconds.

I know you own a Civic so you are backing them up - fair enough thats understnadable. Compared to the large amount of V-dubs out there running low 11's i know of 2 or 3 civics that can run them times. A guy i know had a Turbo CTR and i left him for dead every time i raced him + 2 other CTR's i can think of that i raced at the pod last year ( i have all the timing tickets to prove this )

Yes you are jumping the gun stating a 10 sec quarter - thats a big achievement for a FWD. My mate Andy did a 10.7 in his Rover at the Pod and has yet to be beat ( the MK1 scirroco is now capable of this due to a bigger turbo ) if i had to put money on it i would throw it at the Scirocco, trust me on this.

Now lets see you get out there and start racing yourself and lets see your times - i have mates running 454 Chevy Nova's and Plymouth roadrunners hitting 7 & 8 sec qtrs. Its easy to say "my mate will blow you away" etc etc ....... doing it yourself is another story ;)

Honda Civic Type R
Well the Audi Lump is good for way above 600 bhp - in the states they've got them running 8 sec quarters. The problem with mine was the gearing. My mate has run an 11.1 now in his car which has the same set up as mine but with a custom built box. He was running 100bhp of Gas with that. His terminal was 137mph and a 0 - 60 foot of 1.7 seconds.

I know you own a Civic so you are backing them up - fair enough thats understnadable. Compared to the large amount of V-dubs out there running low 11's i know of 2 or 3 civics that can run them times. A guy i know had a Turbo CTR and i left him for dead every time i raced him + 2 other CTR's i can think of that i raced at the pod last year ( i have all the timing tickets to prove this )

Yes you are jumping the gun stating a 10 sec quarter - thats a big achievement for a FWD. My mate Andy did a 10.7 in his Rover at the Pod and has yet to be beat ( the MK1 scirroco is now capable of this due to a bigger turbo ) if i had to put money on it i would throw it at the Scirocco, trust me on this.

Now lets see you get out there and start racing yourself and lets see your times - i have mates running 454 Chevy Nova's and Plymouth roadrunners hitting 7 & 8 sec qtrs. Its easy to say "my mate will blow you away" etc etc ....... doing it yourself is another story ;)

agreed i really should get racing myself and I would love to. It doesn't look likely at the mo as i've just bought a flat but in the future maybe........

i only really got my knickers in a twist when you said the k20 engines are crap. i couldn't disagree more but we'll just have to leave it at that on that matter. also i think it's more impressive to mod up your car using the engine it came with and not an engine from another car. but thats my opinion. i think k20's have good tuning potential and are very strong engines that can take a lot of abuse. i don't know anything about your engine or car but all i'm saying is honda have produced a peach of a unit there which has more pro's then cons. you're more into the scene then i am so probably have a bit more knowledge than I do. I'm just a ctr fanatic and Guy's and Scott's ctr's are pretty much the benchmark for s/c'd and turbo'd ctr's in this country so that's why i'm bigging them up. plus i like the fact that there's a lot more power potential in them if you upgrade the internals for stronger components.

anyway, good luck with this year if you're gonna carry on. it'd be good to see a lot more fwd cars getting into the 10's. hopefully i'll be going to some of the meets if only just to watch so if I see you there i'll say hi.:approve:

clio
:D ...... That is of course your opinion Ben.

And CPL might be in for a bit of a shock next year - keep watching ;)
Lol, just seen this thread, you sir are a prize dinlo! CPL's Civic has run 10.17 secs for the 1/4 mile, and is going to break into the 9's this year, somewhat quicker than your sh*tbox i think you'll find! His car is the fastest FWD car in the UK! Also Scotts Supercharged Civic has run 11.6 secs up the 1/4!

Ph1
Dont care what people say and how good its meant to be - the CTR engine is a load of crap imo. Ive wiped out many on the strip including supercharged ones - a guy i know has a 350bhp CTR and hes lucky if he gets a 13.0 dead

I'll second this.

My mate spent in the region of 10k on a one off Rotex job running 400 bhp on a CTR

He went up against a Rotex'd NOS'd type R and both (after repeated runs) couldnt dip below mid 13's ! My mates is running a LSD too !!

They are quick dont get me wrong but not that quick and certainly not Evo quick lol

Just realised this is a old thread.

Major fail lol

clio
I'll second this.

My mate spent in the region of 10k on a one off Rotex job running 400 bhp on a CTR

He went up against a Rotex'd NOS'd type R and both (after repeated runs) couldnt dip below mid 13's ! My mates is running a LSD too !!

They are quick dont get me wrong but not that quick and certainly not Evo quick lol

Just realised this is a old thread.

Major fail lol
Lol, they are 'absolutely 100%' evo quick! Clearly your mate can't drag his car very well at all! My mate had a Jackson Supercharged CTR and he was hitting sub 12 sec's continously! A CTR with remap and header can hit mid 13's quite easily! Infact the GPS data on his car (supercharged running 352bhp) showed he hit 62mph in 3.87 secs, 100mph in 8.84 sec! Not many 'standard' Evo's, M3's or Scoobs that can do that!

Ph1
Thats actually true, he cant lol but he's had countless attempts on various days, him driving and his best mate and no matter how hard they try it will not dip mid 13's!!

The Jackson supercharged one was running NOS who my mate took on and that was even slower! Sure theres a Youtube vid of it. I'll have a look sometime. In their defence this was Crail which isnt the best and they both were running full interiors.

Still, on the open road my mate couldnt outdrag another lad in his 200 SX running just shy of 300bhp. SX just pulled on it once they got in silly figures. The impression we all get is their very very over rated for the costs involved for the conversion.

Your probaby quoting hard core drag racers built by tuning companys costing upwards of 20k???

clio
Thats actually true, he cant lol but he's had countless attempts on various days, him driving and his best mate and no matter how hard they try it will not dip mid 13's!!

The Jackson supercharged one was running NOS who my mate took on and that was even slower! Sure theres a Youtube vid of it. I'll have a look sometime. In their defence this was Crail which isnt the best and they both were running full interiors.

Still, on the open road my mate couldnt outdrag another lad in his 200 SX running just shy of 300bhp. SX just pulled on it once they got in silly figures. The impression we all get is their very very over rated for the costs involved for the conversion.

Your probaby quoting hard core drag racers built by tuning companys costing upwards of 20k???
I wouldn't say it was a hardcore drag car, although most of the interior was stripped out. I think the total cost he paid for the SC, ECU, Header, LSD Etc amounted to approx 14k, not quite 20k+ but still a lot of money never the less.

ClioSport 172 Cup
CTR engine is over-complicated. Honda manufactured that engine to be different. There are plenty of other basic 2 litre engines producing more bhp and torque. I had a go in one of the new CTR's, was not impressed at all. Apart from the engine sounding like a pile of shite, I didn`t feel like i was driving a high performance hatchback at all and certainly wasn`t getting the same raw driving experience my 172 cup delivers!
The best japanese engine manufacturer in my opinion far above Honda are Nissan, RB26DETT?, not just bullet proof..nuclear bomb proof, i rest my case. Honda engines are all marketing hype.

ITB'd MK1
The best japanese engine manufacturer in my opinion far above Honda are Nissan, RB26DETT?, not just bullet proof..nuclear bomb proof, i rest my case. Honda engines are all marketing hype.

Dreaming TBH, Nissan are way down the list, and I drive one (I know my nissan engines ;) ), Toyota tops it with honda not far behind. The RB26 is a LONG way from bombproof