ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Change exhaust manifold 182

RS Clio 182 +MR2
My manifold is knackered (flange where it bolts up to the cat is rotten). I'm replacing it with a used stock one. I've heard that changing the manifold is a bit of a b*tch of a job - can anyone who has done this can confirm that is the case...?

Cheers,

Mark

340i
My manifold is knackered (flange where it bolts up to the cat is rotten). I'm replacing it with a used stock one. I've heard that changing the manifold is a bit of a b*tch of a job - can anyone who has done this can confirm that is the case...?

Cheers,

Mark

Bit of pain...

you will need to drop the subframe to remove the manifold!

mk2 ph2 172 Flamer
I've done it the other day and i need to say I expected it to be a lot worse from what i read. I also need to point out I was doing it by myself in front of my house :) I dont think you need to drop the frame to remove it it's getting the new one in that requires to dropping it.

340i
I've done it the other day and i need to say I expected it to be a lot worse from what i read. I also need to point out I was doing it by myself in front of my house :) I dont think you need to drop the frame to remove it it's getting the new one in that requires to dropping it.

Are you talking about a 172 manifold? ;)

E46 M3
Make sure it is the actual manifold that is rotten and not the "cups" that the spring bolt heads sit in. I made this mistake and started pricing up a manifold before I took it apart and figured how it all fit together.

RS Clio 182 +MR2
I should have mentioned it's a straight swap - one 182 manifold for another, on a 182. Sounds like putting the 182 manifold onto a 172 is a bit of a pain - but will I need to drop the subframe to do this if it's a 182?

Cheers,

Mark

RS Clio 182 +MR2
Glad I checked then - pretty sure tech manual makes no mention of dropping the subframe at all!.

How long did it take you?

Cheers Adam.

Mark

mk2 ph2 172 Flamer
well it took me a few hours, hard to say exactly as i was doing a few things at the time, but as Fred said are you sure you don't just need a fitting kit? there was some rust on mine aswell but nothing to worry about tbh

Clio cup 172
did you lads take the subframe off completely or just hang it on the balljoints? Changing my 172 mani to a 182 mani on saturday? Cheers.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
I followed the guide on here, took probably 4 hours as it's the first time I'd done it and I wrapped the manifold. I dropped the subframe pretty much down to the floor whilst the car was on axle stands, makes it a LOT easier; just watch for any cables/pipes (e.g. brakes/PAS) being stressed when the subframe drops. The guide on here was written very well and the photos show you exactly what you need to remove. Make sure you get a fitting kit and a new exhaust manifold gasket. Also be aware that the 182 manifold is a lot 'longer' than the 172 one, therefore you'll need a 182 -> 172 link pipe/decat (or sports cat) to link it to your 172 system. Don't expect the 182 manifold to link straight to your 172 center section!