ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

changing brakes - help please

RS Clio 200
for anyoen who has changed brakes on a 172....

how long did it take you, and did you require a brake pad fitting kit?

Renault Clio
Well for discs you need to get the right torx screw bit to remove the disc - Removing the disc itself is pretty easy, but you first need to take the caliper off the disc (obviously :p)

I can't remember how many bolts there are but I believe that you need a 10mm spanner to loosen the bolts on the caliper; You can then take the caliper off but make sure you don't let it just dangle freely - Try and support it with a cable tie or rest it on a high box or something...

Then you can remove the old brake pads pretty easily - They should pop out with a little bit of persuasion with a screwdriver (lightly) - Then pop your new ones in and prise them into place by placing the screwdriver between the two pads and pushing down (this is what I had to do) - Using a bit of copper grease will help you to get these into place (I forgot to the first time :p)

Then to replace the disc the two torx screws will need to be removed (if memory serves they are #4 but it may be different for a 172) and it should just be easy to pull off - One of mine welded itself into place so it had to be hammered off - Don't be afraid to use a little force to remove the disc as long as you only hit the disc!

Replace the disc, tighten the screws, put the caliper + new pads over the disc and re-tighten the bolts, and it should be all goooood...

It's important not to press the brake pedal until you have replaced all of the pads/discs you are going to replace; This ensures that they are all aligned properly and all clamp as they should do :)

You may want to consult a Haynes Manual (if one exists for a 172/182) as some of the information may be different; Different torx screws, different size bolts etc ;)

There a guide on the foum here for chnaging disk and pads i think.
For disks and pads I'd say 1.5 hour to do but I take my time other do it in 1 hour.

RS Clio 200
im also replacing the brake lines, so i can take the calipers completely off and get em cleaned and painted at the same time.

with not pressing the pedal till they are done.....should i change the back lines first..then change lines, disks and pads at the front, then bleed them all after?

also - my order of ate super blue racing has been delayed - i presume hallfords dot 4 will be fine with goodridge braided lines, pagid blues and brembo high carbons for a week or so?

im desperate to get these on this weekend so i can bed it all in for track day in december.

im also replacing the brake lines, so i can take the calipers completely off and get em cleaned and painted at the same time.

with not pressing the pedal till they are done.....should i change the back lines first..then change lines, disks and pads at the front, then bleed them all after?

also - my order of ate super blue racing has been delayed - i presume hallfords dot 4 will be fine with goodridge braided lines, pagid blues and brembo high carbons for a week or so?

Doesn't matter wich order you do them in you'll need about 2 liters of fluid as you'll spill loads trying to bleed the air out of the circuit affter you've fiotted all the lines.

I'd wait for better fluid stock fluid boils easly with harder pads. halfords use to see super dot 4 response which was great but they've stopped it now.

RS Clio 200
baring in mind that im gonna have to drive like a pansy on the new disks and pads for a few hundred miles, would the halfords dot 4 be ok though?

reason i ask is i have loads spare already, so saves me waiting, and i can use my weekend for something useful

baring in mind that im gonna have to drive like a pansy on the new disks and pads for a few hundred miles, would the halfords dot 4 be ok though?

reason i ask is i have loads spare already, so saves me waiting, and i can use my weekend for something useful

To bed those pads in properly you need to do some serious stoipping 60-10 a few times for the first few times to get them to work properly.

Halfords stuff would be OK but depending how you are on track you migth find it boils quick quickly so you'd need to bled the brakes for the better stuff anyway.

yeh i know halfords is not for the track.
but i dont wanna warp the new disks also..
You cannot warp disks what happens is you stop dead with your foot on the pedal and some of the pad sticks to the disk when you drive off the bit of pad making the disks uneven.
how should i go about bedding in both pads and new disks?
Hard 60-10mph stops a few time then leave the brakes for a bit to cool down.

Don't stop and put your foot on the brakes.