ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing brakes tomorrow...

Clio 182
I'm fitting new pads and discs all round my 182 tomorrow... I'm guessing there wont be anything else I've forgotten to get that will be needed? I've never done the brakes on one of these before, so don't know if theres anything that normally gets changed at the same time?

Stripped yozza'd cup
Possibly abs rings... Depends what condition they're in... Have a search though mate, plenty of guides on here.

Clio 182
yeah got new discs with abs rings with them pal so that part is sorted. Do you guys normally change fluid aswell when doing the brakes, becuase mine was done last service a few months ago.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Don't bother with fluid then, just check the levels after you've done it.

Clio 182
everything is in pretty good condition with regards to the lines, calipers etc, its only discs and pads obviously which are gonna need replacing. I just wasnt sure if there were any special "consumables" on the brake set up on the clio... i'm used to old fords so most things are usually more complicated on anything else!

Looking for 182
A strong breaker bar (not sure if this is the right terminology, but I had to buy one as I couldn't get a number of the bolts off without one).

Westy. MX5
A good wire brushing of the calipers, carriers helps re-assembly. Disconnect the rear handbrake cables before you start. Don't forget you need to wind in the rear pistons clockwise with a flat piece of metal so there is enough room for the new discs and pads. Recover and re-use the lipped washer at the back of the rear disc, note which way round it goes.

Did my rears at the weekend do not need to disconnect the handbrake waste of time, just make sure you take it off inside the car and put it in gear.

I put new hub nuts on aswell, but some loctite would be good also on the calipers bolts. 175nm for the hub nuts (rear) when reassembling. Check the guides section pretty good, easier than you think.

When using a screwdriver (clockwise) on the rears it will go in, on the front though you need a g-clamp and might have to just take the cap off the brake fluid.

As said above really if doubt just do a search loads of threads on them.

don't put copper grease on the caliper sliders it will just get red hot and harden up and could lead to your caliper seizing crap stuff that.