ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing gear and RPM - How do you do it?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It's all about the torque - that's ultimately what accelerates/pushes the car along, and you have none above 6,500 rpm...and masses from 4,500 up to 6,500...

100_4400-1.jpg

^^^ from 6,500 EVERYTHING is going downhill, and from 7,000 look at how little torque there is...less than at any other point in the rev range almost.

In the lower gears (1st/2nd) when wind resistance isn't such a factor then it can be worth holding it until say 7,000, but from 3rd onwards I've found my car hits a brick wall at 6,500 rpm as soon as the torque drops off. At those speeds in those gears changing at 6.5 drops you right back into the meat of the torque at 5k and you keep on going.

Watch this video of my rev counter and speedo during some acceleration runs, 3rd gear is at 0:44 and 4th is at 1:04 - watch how the speedo needle slows as soon as it gets to 6.5k...it's painful after that in 4th, takes forever to get there...really noticable how no torque sees a drop in acceleration.

[youtube]odTwrUXNlsM[/youtube]

On track the only reason I'll go higher is if a corner's coming up and I need to save a pointless shift - aside from that I stay between 4.5 and 6.5.

Doesn't do them any harm banging into the limiter though, mine's spent a lot of its life there.

172 cup
i wait for a while when the shift light comes on then change,:D always been in the back of my head about what ive seen on power graphs:dapprove: when im in the moment though ive got full concentration on driving and can''t seem to brake the habbit of letting it run its ful course in the gear.:rasp: as far as letting it redline then changing gear cars that are level will pull past!!! just before redline always!!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
5k when cold you must be mad!! i know yours is Jap but still. The guage on the dash only shows water temp not oil temp. I would even contemplate going over 4k until at least 10mins of running the engine

My car wouldn't make it up half the hills round here if I didn't go above 4k from cold lol. I don't think a good modern engine that limits at 7250rpm is going to suffer to much from moments of 5k before its fully up to temp.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Change just before the limiter in 1st and 2nd a lot. Might try shifting earlier though after seeing the dyno print out above. On my general everyday routes, no space or not safe to push to limiter in 3rd.

Never over 3k or full throtte for first 5 mins. Next 5mins, 4/4.5k max, 3/4-ish throttle max, then cain it after that. Obviously I don't sit there measuring revs and time religiously lol build it up gradually. If the early limiter still kicks in after this, then I'll keep the revs a bit lower and give it a bit more time to warm up.

Monaco 172
My car wouldn't make it up half the hills round here if I didn't go above 4k from cold lol. I don't think a good modern engine that limits at 7250rpm is going to suffer to much from moments of 5k before its fully up to temp.

lol, i agree with that mate, i own a house in Hudds

Just out of interest with regard to the limiter, standard its what - 7200 RPM? fair enough but with a remap this goes up too 8000+ so I would of thought at that point you don't want to be hitting it every moment of the day? Thoughts?

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Who needs rev counters!

mk1 1.2 RL FTW! Change gear depending on noise & speed :p

It's all about the torque - that's ultimately what accelerates/pushes the car along, and you have none above 6,500 rpm...and masses from 4,500 up to 6,500...

100_4400-1.jpg

On track the only reason I'll go higher is if a corner's coming up and I need to save a pointless shift - aside from that I stay between 4.5 and 6.5.

Well looking at that I'd suggest 5,000/5,500 to 6,500. If your changing at 4,000 in the time you've taken to change gear you've lost a load of torque and power.

M

mini-valver

I change just before the limiter, when the engine note changes. ONly when it's been driven for 10 minutes or so though.

In 4th, I'll change at around 7k. It pulls to the limiter, why change before it? By changing you're losing as much in wind resistance slowing you down as you are in torque higher up the power band IMO.

In my VTS once it was warm that got revved to 7600, right into the limiter ALL the time. Loved it and it was a quick un, even on 125k.

RenaultSport Clio 172
Usually I change at around 3000rpm I like to have an average fuel consumption of 32mpg+ it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

If I'm just out having a fun drive and not giving a damn about refueling I'll go up to 5000rpm but after that it sounds like its in pain. Jamie drives it harder than that but I don't see the point, it's fast enough without putting pedal to the floor. Plus the exhaust noise hurts accelerating over 2700. :D

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Usually I change at around 3000rpm I like to have an average fuel consumption of 32mpg+ it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

If I'm just out having a fun drive and not giving a damn about refueling I'll go up to 5000rpm but after that it sounds like its in pain. Jamie drives it harder than that but I don't see the point, it's fast enough without putting pedal to the floor. Plus the exhaust noise hurts accelerating over 2700. :D

Please tell me your taking the piss? For a start if you never go over 3k you should be getting closer 40mpg. You might as well have got a 1.2:S, talk about missing out on a lot of fun.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
7k gear changes FTW, the rasp from the de-cat makes it worth it alone, serious note though, 1st & 2nd gear 7k all above 6,5k, mark cups right, its painfull slow in 4th close to the red line

clio trophy No56
My mate has a R27 and i have a Trophy, running the standard map, i.e. the limiter kicking in earlier, 1st not sure, 2nd he slightly catches me then 3rd is the same again.
Running Fastchip map, 1st not sure, 2nd gear is the same and 3rd gear i pull away. This is due to the fact i take it approx 700RPM higher in each gear before i change, never hit the limiter though, i change before the gear change light comes on.
Also according to the RSTuner Pro my peak power was at 6500RPM and peak torque at 5700RPM, cant remember the exact figures but close enough, car is standard bar a panel filter and removal of acoustic valve.

Redlining it won't damage the engine, the rev limiters there for a reason.

I do share the same sentiments as you though, I always change where peak power is made. There's no more pulling power after that, just momentum.

you want to chnage gear where the car will make the most adverage hp to work this out you need to know rpm drop an a rr printout. For mine chnage up point depends on gear but for first its about 4.5k then goes down to about 4k in 4th gear

RenaultSport Clio 172
Please tell me your taking the piss? For a start if you never go over 3k you should be getting closer 40mpg. You might as well have got a 1.2:S, talk about missing out on a lot of fun.

I only use it for work. Jamie86 (my partner) is the one who uses it like a toy :D

It gets to 40 plus on longer trips but going to my local town I only ever get up to about 32. Boo.

2010 Mazda 3 MPS
change in every gear at 2500rpm :D

resulting in 42mpg+++

lol

5th gear at 30 ftw :rasp:

but when i race grannies at the lights its the limiter!!!

Vauxhalls
When it goes "bababababababa" I change gear ;-)

PMSL!!! haha jus been reading this, its great lol. Defo gotta be changing when its bouncing off the limiter lol. never when cold tho.

Mini - Valver
In my VTS once it was warm that got revved to 7600, right into the limiter ALL the time. Loved it and it was a quick un, even on 125k.

Gotta like those Sh*troen limiters. they bounce so hard lol :D
My mates one got 128ish mph, 4th gear bangin off the limiter chasing a 106 gti pug :D average.

M

mini-valver

PMSL!!! haha jus been reading this, its great lol. Defo gotta be changing when its bouncing off the limiter lol. never when cold tho.

Gotta like those Sh*troen limiters. they bounce so hard lol :D
My mates one got 128ish mph, 4th gear bangin off the limiter chasing a 106 gti pug :D average.

Mine pulled 130 in 4th, freak of a car.

clio 182
if im in everyday normal drive il change at 4k ish. if im avin a good old blast 6.5 and up..

Italian 3.2 V6
i dont go above 3k rpm if car isnt to the correct temp, then go to about 4-5k rpm on a day to day basis, but when i have to put other cars back in there place i hit 7k rpm :)