ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing gearbox oil on Cup

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Why do you want/need to?!

Just wondering as mine is in the dealers as we speak having the gearbox stripped, inspected and probably replaced, as it has always whined in 1st gear (& only 1st) from new 5 weeks ago, but is gradually getting louder, so its gonna get fixed now!

You having problems?

Shouldnt be a difficult job though, Ive done it on other cars in the past and its just a case of working out where the drain and filler plugs are, then empty and re-fill, but find out how much oil the box takes and what spec oil it is first.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by JJ172 on 26 August 2003

Mines whined in 2nd from new....I just thought it was a Renault trait!
Only 2nd?!

It aint meant to whine in gear...

It gets used quite enthusiastically and was sticking in second sometimes at hight revs, it hasnt been changed from new (now 6k) so thought it wouldnt do any harm.

Just wondering on tips for access to drain and filler and what grade oil is recomended.

Clio 1.6 16V

The best way to drain the oil is to pull a driveshaft. Although if the oil is hot I have managed to syphon most of the oil through a 1/4" plastic tube (just tastes sh*te and takes a wee while). Can I ask you guys a question? Did you run in your cars as per Reno instructions or rag it from day one? Just interested!

Humm interesting.....

Does any one now if " was sticking in second sometimes at hight revs" is a known thing.

Mine does it it sometimes over 6k and it just refuses to move out of 2nd unless u clobber the gear stick. Very embaressing if your trying to race some1!!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Flying Scotsman on 26 August 2003

Can I ask you guys a question? Did you run in your cars as per Reno instructions or rag it from day one? Just interested!
Run in properly mate, but the gearbox whined from day one...

Clio 1.6 16V

.... just I had a theory that if the car was ragged from delivery that gearboxes were suffering early .... but maybe not? Perhaps there are some sh*te new boxes fitted new! My 172 always has a notchy change from 1st to 2nd when cold. That was run in properly too.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Flying Scotsman on 26 August 2003

.... just I had a theory that if the car was ragged from delivery that gearboxes were suffering early .... but maybe not? Perhaps there are some sh*te new boxes fitted new! My 172 always has a notchy change from 1st to 2nd when cold. That was run in properly too.
Well, my mate nailed his mk1 172 from onlty 8 miles on the clock and it has now covered ~52000 miles and done 3 track days, but no whine from his gearbox.

Unfortunately it also crunches going into 3rd now....

So what about draining and refilling?

I found the 8mm drain plug and assuming that the rubber nozzle on top of the Gearbox is for filling. Anyone know the capacity? the oil grade?

Renault London City were particulary unhelpful explaining they couldnt tell me the details incase i got it wrong and I blamed them...

Clio 172 Ph2

Mine used to stick in 2nd too at high revs - again, I agree, its damn annoying when youre trying to blast it away from someone!

Doesnt seen to do it much anymore now though - ive got 10k on the clock.

I ran it in nice and gently too! So I dont think its a trashing from day 1 problem.

The crappy 1st -> 2nd change when cold is still there though. The car really feels like its holding back and you can just tell its gonna jerk something chronic if you let your foot off the accelerator. Then all of a sudden something seems to give and its all ok again. Weird!