ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing plugs on 172?

My car has started misfiring under load and the toxic fume light has come on and stayed on. Want to try changing my plugs to see if this cures it but question is, how do you get to them? Do you have to remove the top head bit (if thats what its called) to access them?

Not great at mechanics as you might have guessed :)

Lionel Richie
plenham chamber (the bit with Renault sport on) has to come off

7 x 10mm bolts, a few pipes, and a few connectors

Lionel Richie
and make sure you use the correct plugs (NGK PFR6E-10, i think)

don't go putting anything else in there

Ok, cheers for that. Going to have the top off and see if there is any water etc first but will make sure i replace with those if i do change them.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2

Hello Fred, what happen if you install a diferent plugs?
some days ago I decided to change my plugs, went to dealer and gave me NGK BCP5ET with three electrodes I told to the guy this are not the correct plugs for the RS he told me you can use it with no problem, I said no thanks I want the same PFR6E plugs. the diference in price was huge but prefer the original plugs

172 ph1
BCP5ET is the same thread, reach etc. So it will "fit". The NGK temperatures mean that 5 is a hotter plug than 6 (PFR6E), so I wouldn't use it, although the temperature difference between 5 and 6 is small.
Also it isn't a platinum plug, so doesn't offer the same life. The standard plugs generally last fine for 72k (the service interval), I doubt a BCP5ET would last half of that.

People seem happy with their Bosch super 4's. No idea how long they last though.

Try http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/ngkjpg.htm for an abbreviated list.

Clio 172 mk2 & Clio 3 DCi
ok next question, once you have got the top off how do u get to the plugs?.
i cant seem to find them, does that little black box need to come off too?.

clio mk2 p1 1.4 16v

very very true, just use either renault ones or high end replacements that are designed for that car, not any thing from halfrauds or motorworld ect ect,

clio mk2 p1 1.4 16v
mate dont use the bosh they crap i had them and had to change them for ngk ones they are much better,

dont know how you can really tell, a lot of people say that the ngks are crap, sooo its just what you use and how you use them, i got bosch super 5 i think and there miles better thn the ngks in my opinion ngks fooked up :dead:

172 FF
I have used bosch super 4's and never had a problem so far. Used them in my old car too not an issue so cant see what all the fuss is about surely there cant be that much difference between them?