ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Characteristic or fault

I’ve had my 172 mrk2 for just over 6 months now, I bought it from new and I am wondering if anyone has experienced the same symptoms as I am getting. The problem is with the steering, it just seems a handful to drive, every bump or undulation moves the steering wheel quite forcefully making the car pull to either side. I’ve taken it back to Renault quite a few times with this problem and others but this is the one they refuse to acknowledge. They say things like” They all drive like that” and “Would you like to drive our demo car as that pulls like yours” (meaning that if they can convince me that another Clio does it they shouldn’t have to fix it). So back to my original question, does anyone else with a 172 suffer these problems? Or is it just the characteristic of the car? If it’s the latter then I’m going to have to get rid of the car as it’s driving my crazy! I had a Williams before the 172 and I never got any of these faults, it was a dream to drive.

Any comments appreciated.

All of them pull to one side or other when u put ur foot down, dependent on the road surface.

I live in norwich and ive nearly chucked myself off the road, or gone into the person im trying to overtake a few times. Just make sure your actually holding the wheel, and your not do-ing the boy racer pose, and if its bumpy let the torque do the work rather than drop a cog and floor it.

Yep it happens to must powerfull/light FWD cars.

My old 5GT Turbo was a bit of a handlfull with 190bhp.

Simon.

Have you tried jacking the car up and giving the wheels a good shake/wiggle to see if theyre any play?

My 172 is about same age, just going along you feel the bumps etc but I wouldnt say it pulls the steering. There is one pot hole on a bend I go round occasionally (not often enough that I remember!) which can pull the steering wheel out of my hand if Im not holding on, but this is definitely an exception.

*smile* @ fozzy nearly having gone into the person im trying to overtake a few times.. sounds very familiar.. can be hairy overtaking on a narrow road ;)

@lot, oh yes my pants nearly changed colour at least once!

Torque steer is annoying, it was on here a while ago that changing the tyres can help, as the contis have really stiff sidewalls, but its expensive to just try.

[Edited by fozzy on 11 June 2004 at 12:25am]

I can agree mine is exactly the same. i always felt it was a problem, and a car should not be like it. but i have gotten used to it, but it does spoil the enjoyment of the car. I recently fitted some eibach lowering springs, which has certainly improved the handling but not totally removed the problem.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

My cup seems to do that also, sometimes even trying to pull me towards the kerb while braking if Im not 100% alert. Its unnerving when it first happens, but the car is such a hoot to drive, I can forgive this little niggle, (unless it puts me into some stationery object!) :p

Ziel Nurburgring

Whe i test drove the CTR before i plumped for the 172, it was like a ride at alton towers with all the torque steer. Wider tyres and massive power in FWD make it struggle to get grip and its when i finally finds a bit of tarmac it likes just drags you with it. If it were RWD you would get it as well, but the tail would swing about behind you. Whats your milage, ive found its dropped off as the tyres have got older but is still there.

In short, all of them do it and you will just have to work out your arms at the gym and hold on tight, otherwise you will scare the living poop out of other drivers like i did last night to a a jag driver.

Its difficult to tell if were all talking of the same level of movement in the steering, but from what a few of you have described it does sound similar. I had mine in for the recall where they changed all five (part worn) Michelins for the Conti’s and although it made a v.small difference at first it soon went back to the way it was before. If it is just the characteristic of the car, then I feel it really spoils what could be a great car, I just have no confidence in it what so ever unless driving on a smooth motorway. When I drive on B roads(there’s loads around here) within five minutes Ive had enough, rather than darting round corners, concentrating on my overtaking ect, I find all my effort goes into keeping the dam thing in a straight line! Im definitely not talking of the torque steer as it does it when not accelerating and when braking. Ive got a theory as to what it may be: I found out that the 172 has an electric power steer pump and as new technology goes it takes while for them to perfect it, first attempts are often quite poor. So maybe this explains why it feels like its a bit unsure and has allot of torque steer- I had a Williams before which had a little less power but was still a powerful small hatch and I got no where near the amount of torque steer, plus it felt really planted on the road, I could drive over a bumpy road and it would remain in a straight line. So why doesnt my Brand new, much more expensive and more modern car do this! (Rant over). Apart from the above and the dealer experience everything else is great.

Its 8 months old and coming up to 14K.

Im going to get the 4 wheel alignment done but dont know where to go, I dont want a back steet job.

any car which weighs nothing and has fat wheels behaves like this

I think it all adds to the fun! :devilish:

That said my Alfa 155 is easier to drive fast on country roads cos I have confidence that a computer isnt going to get involved at some random point.

Quote: Originally posted by iceblue182 on 11 June 2004

any car which weighs nothing and has fat wheels behaves like this

I think it all adds to the fun! :devilish:

That said my Alfa 155 is easier to drive fast on country roads cos I have confidence that a computer isnt going to get involved at some random point.
Then how do explain why the williams didnt do this- it also is a car that wieghs next to nothing and has fat wheels ect.. plus its not the computer cutting in as i can easly turn this off.

Golf 1.4 TSI

mine does it and it gets worse with tyre wear. Bumby roads are the worst because its so unpredictable. They seemed to have cured the problem with the 182 as that was ok when i test drove one a while back. Getting rid of my 172 because of all the other niggly problems with it and an awful garage who dont know the difference between a renault and a nissan

Golf 1.4 TSI

got some money from my granparents and was going to get evo 8 fq 330 but finance company didnt agree. pick up my evo 8 260 in a couple of weeks