ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chase Racing Clio Build Blog (TinTops Entry)

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
April 10[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012:

The short Easter break can mean only one thing……more time in the garage working on the car! First job on the cards is to finish off the brake lines and fit our rear bias adjuster. We found a nice neat location on the passenger side which is out of reach of the driver and yet very accessible.

DSC02991.jpg

Rob's mammoth task of wiring has gone to a new level; his mock switch panel and the amount of wires everywhere show the extent to which he is going to make this all work. We still haven't had the engine running, but that isn't too far away now.

Great progress guys

Im wondering if i could pester you for a few more pictures. I am going to be running my brake lines through the car aswell but i am unsure of where to run them.

I noticed yours are down th passenger side of the car

Where is your enter ping from the master cylinder and where have you exited to underneath the car so it can meet the rear brakes. Also did you blank off a master clinder port or just use a t piece?

Pics would be really handy if you wouldn’t mind taking a few from the master cylinder, through the car and then underneath

Thanks in advance guys!

Chase Racing Clio
DSC03043.jpg

DSC03125.jpg

DSC03118.jpg

Well.... here's what we did:

The master cylinder has 2 outputs, we used one for the front circuit and one for the rear. The front circuit uses a T piece to split and then we've just made up some lines to go the shortest, coldest route to the separate corners.

The rear circuit goes through the bulkhead on the passenger side (as you can see in the pics), then it hugs the transmission tunnel until it reaches the first seat cross member. It then hugs that and goes across to the door sill, where we have connected a bias adjuster. We put the adjuster over here because the rules state that the driver isn't supposed to be able to adjust the bias whilst driving. So, we put it on the passenger side so that it was still easy to reach.

Once it leaves the bias adjuster, we keep hugging the side of the car until we get on to the rear seat base, where we bring it back towards the centre of the car. Then, we've drilled 2 holes in the seat base directly above the bracket that sits on the rear beam where the original brake lines sit. So, as you can see from one of the pics, we've put another T piece in and then gone straight down through the seat base and joined on to the lines that run along the rear beam.

Chase Racing Clio
August 21[SUP]st[/SUP] 2012:

After our last outing at Blyton Park we had a little debrief session and discussed how we felt (individual subjective analysis) the car behaved in all areas. The main area of discussion focused around our distinct lack of front end grip. Rob being the Vehicle dynamics expert was burdened with the task of coming up with a solid working theory as to why we were experiencing this distinct lack of front grip. His conclusion was a variety of reasons; tyre pressures, spring rates and most importantly he noticed that our lower wishbones were at a rather steep inclination, due to us lowering the car around 40mm. After some rough geometric analysis it became apparent that this causes the instant roll centre (IRS) to be underground somewhere creating a large moment between the CofG and the IRS. Inevitably, this causes the body to roll which is bad.

So to remedy this we did some research and discovered there is two ways in which this is achievable. One way is to buy/make some lower ball joint extenders. This seemed like the easiest option (assuming we could source some from somewhere) although we were slightly concerned with the sheer magnitude of the loads going through that bearing.
The second option was to modify the wishbone pick-up points on the front subframe. You’re probably thinking to yourself that this is a much more risky venture as suspension geometry is critical and structural integrity may be an issue. We decided after careful consideration to modify the pick-up points on the subframe.

So, as you may have seen from the last update, we have already removed the subframe ready for the modification. After some discussion on the best way to approach the situation we decided to use some rectangular section steel cut into the original mounts. This allowed for maximum strength and seemed the neatest solution to the problem. Once we had sourced the material we thought it prudent to use some CAD to reduce our material waste – by that we mean Cardboard Aided Design.

Many hours later, after making 4 extension towers from the rectangular steel and aligning them using multiple straight edges and other techniques, we started welding. Once this was complete, we decided to offer it back up to the car just to re-assure ourselves we’d done a good job and that it would slip back in nicely. We found we had a slight collision issue; one of the towers tried to occupy the same space as the gearbox end casing. We applied some lateral thinking and some effort and managed to, fingers crossed, fix the issue. If you’re interested in our lateral thinking, get in touch with us; otherwise just consider what we did magic.

Once we had finished with our lateral thinking, a coat of paint or 3 was applied and we considered that a job well done!

20120821_205151.jpg

Another part of our escapades involved remedying the steering issues we had on our last outing. We had suspicions that our inner track rod bearings were buggered, due to a clunking noise when rapid steering input is applied. We had also noticed that the steering felt a bit vague and that the steering wheel would, on hard corners, apply an offset to its self of about 10 degrees and would rectify its self after a few corners. At the end of the day we noticed that the steering rack appeared to be a bit lose on the subframe mounts.

On closer inspection (which is easy when the subframe is on the floor), we noticed that all 4 bolts that clamp the rack to the subframe were lose - a bit concerning to say the least. So after stripping it all down, found that all 4 bolts were different (not sure if that is right?) and one of them had pulled the threads out of the aluminium tower. We rectified this by drilling the threaded hole out to 12mm from M10, re-tapping it and inserting some M12 studding with appropriate thread locking compound. Job’s a good ‘un… it’s now much stronger than the standard clamping method.

20120821_205157.jpg

We must also mention the rubber bushing; we found that one of them was folded back on its self, most likely due to being installed by a less than competent chappy. So, to fix the problem we decided we need a new one so went to our local main dealer as google couldn’t offer any alternatives. We walked out of the main dealer like John Wayne….. not because we wanted to be in a western but because we felt as though Francois Hollande had bummed us!! £21 for a small sleeve of rubber…. unbelievable.

IMAG0188.jpg

Anyway, we can now finally get the subframe back in place and feel very confident that we have fixed some of the issues that plagued us at the previous test. Onwards and upwards as they say! Donington entry has been submitted now too….so let’s hope the car doesn’t blow itself up at Castle Combe.

Nice work there guys.

Have you done anything about raising the rack to match the new wishbone position? You may get some bump steer if not.

It will be interesting to see how you get on with the new roll centres.

When are you hoping for your first race? I had my first outing on Sunday it was a great day.

Chase Racing Clio
Well, we look at the bump steer implications and we reckon it will be pretty close to standard now that we've moved the wishbones. If we find we have a bit of bump steer, we'll try and lower the attachment point of the arm on to the upright somehow.

The plan is to do donington....so hopefully we'll be ready for then.

Clio 172
I wonder if it was you guys I passed on the A46 on a very early morning a few weeks back. I was going to Cadwell park in a red PH1 witha sticker bombed rear bumper.

Cup In bits
I like that everyone is thinking about the front geometry on clios just now. Just from pictures it looks like you may run into issues with driveshafts hitting the wishbones and the steering arms on your new wishbone mounts. How much did you raise mounts?

There are nylon bushes for the rack mount that can be got from seiz over on www.cliors-concept.com if that interests you but I guess not after just replacing yours. Guys I know that have had cup racer's say the bushes are a week point in the steering.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Well, we look at the bump steer implications and we reckon it will be pretty close to standard now that we've moved the wishbones. If we find we have a bit of bump steer, we'll try and lower the attachment point of the arm on to the upright somehow.

The plan is to do donington....so hopefully we'll be ready for then.

Looks like a familiar idea ;)

By raising the wishbone pickups you need to either raise the rack as I did, but you can only do this by about 20mm, the rest needs to be done by lowering the end of the tie rods where they attach to the upright.
Looks like you've raised the pick ups quite a lot, must be 60mm+ ?
It's the relationship between the wishbone and the tie rod which is critical or rather the arc that they both take. As it is with the rack in the standard position I think you'll find it will go heavily "toe out" under compression. I could be wrong but would be worth checking before taking to a circuit.
Have a read up on tinternet, there's loads of useful info and also how to make your own bumpsteer gauge.

Chase Racing Clio
Hi Everyone. Rob here again. We had a fairly successful test day yesterday apart from a small engine bay fire. I expect Dave will put up a full update pretty soon. We were using the old springs as the new ones still haven't arrived. Ryan said he noticed a bit of bump steer and I found it went a little unstable over some of the bumps but didn't notice anything I could categorically put down as roll or bump steer. With any luck the stiffer setup we have planned will limit pitch, roll, heave and single wheel bump to a degree where it eliminates any problems. As Dave said, we'll fix it if/when it becomes a problem.

Kenny, Good guess. They've been raised 60mm exactly. This should put the front roll center just lower than the rear one (although admittedly I haven't measured all the crucial points on the rear beam, just made a guess). but crucially mean we can lower the car by 60mm at the front and keep the original geometry. This should mean that all the sensitivity analysis that the Renault engineers did on the instant center migration should still be valid.

Sweede Cup, We did plan to put nylon bushes in but didn't know anyone made them. We decided that the thickness which they had to be was beyond our turning skills and got a sheet of Nylon. We were going to put it in the oven then jam it in place and tighten the rack up. Around about this time we discovered the original bushings hadn't been put in properly and figured the standard setup should be much better than we had before and went with that. It's good to know though and the car might well get some in the future.

One thing that came up was some trouble with our brake calipers. After the first (successful) test, the brake pedal dead travel had increased quite a bit. We assumed the brakes just needed bleeding but it wasn't any different after putting a liter of fluid through the system. We persevered and after changing the front pads in the lunch brake yesterday, the pedal was back where it should be. We think there must have been some sort of check valve in the ABS which stopped too much fluid returning to the master cylinder. Has anyone else with standard 172 calipers and no ABS had this issue? I guess the 172cups don't count as they had no ABS to begin with.

Cup In bits
Your pads were wearing evenly? no wedge shaped pads removed?

Did you encounter any rubbing of the shafts or steering arms with adjustments made?

Chase Racing Clio
pads wore pretty evenly. I'm not sure if we kept them or not but the outer ones had about a mm left and the inner ones a bit less. None of them were significantly wedge shaped although there was probably half a millimeter difference between the thickness of the inside and outside of a couple of the pads.

No rubbing of the drive shafts or steering arms. The wheel droop is limited by the damper and the drive shafts and tie rods are a good distance from the wishbones.

Cup In bits
Sounds strange about the brakes but with a balll's hair left on the pads, that was probably your issue.

Good to know this can be done without rubbing of any sort, Kenny s will be happy for sure as he has done similar and was worried about rubbing.

I see you run a brake balance adjuster, do you ever use it? Iv heard Clios like to be screwed fully forward all the time. Reason I ask is im away to run lines when im home, I have a cup and I can get away with one line if I fit one or I will have to run two for proper cross braked system.

Chase Racing Clio
I don't think that was the problem. The pedal was getting progressively lower until we fitted new pads. Like a drum brake which is missing the self adjuster. Not a huge problem just not so nice to drive when the pedal gets closer to the bulk head. I might keep a lookout for a cup master cylinder and see if that fixes it.

Do you know if Kenny has tried his sub-frame for clearance? We had a horrible sinking feeling when we realized the gearbox was in the way.

We spent a while setting the brake balance once we had the car up and running. Gradually screwed it out until Dave came back in with his hair on end and wound it in a bit. We haven't touched it since but it's nice to know we could increase it a bit to help us turn in in the future. I think there's a fair bit of pressure to the back and the rear brakes get nice and hot. We only have standard pads in there though and yellow stuffs on the front. The car came with ABS and once we ripped that out it was necessary to put something in.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Do you know if Kenny has tried his sub-frame for clearance? We had a horrible sinking feeling when we realized the gearbox was in the way.

Yeah, gearbox clears no probs, thats partly why I went for 40mm

IMGP4138.jpg

I'm guessing you had to chap a tactical "dint" in the cover?

Chase Racing Clio
More of a tactical "cut it up, weld it back together, realize it doesn't go into fourth, repeat."

Chase Racing Clio
August 31[SUP]st[/SUP] 2012:

And so, it was time to test the car again! We were off to Castle Combe circuit this time with the intention of validating the chassis changes we had made along with some final driver style prep in time for the Donington race. We had a very eventful night the day before and we barely had a full night’s sleep between us, so the 5.30 start was a tough one!

This time, instead of struggling towing with a golf diesel, we had the assistance of Dave’s dad (Reg) towing us along with a nice old Range Rover. The trip down was hence a nice steady one and we arrived in perfect time to check in and attend the safety briefing.

DSC_0334.jpg

Our first activity for the day was to just get a few runs in and become accustom to the car. This seemed to take longer than we would’ve hoped. This was our first trackday with Apex trackdays having previously gone with Javelin. As we found out later on, apparently a third party agent had overbooked the day a little and this was noticed as many would queue for around 5 minutes or more each time they wished to go out! We weren’t too impressed by this all in all honesty and the whole operation didn’t seem as slick as Javelin. We all got a little bit of time in the car and were all positive about the changes. The car felt more positive at the front end and we were looking forward to getting some good practice in. Here’s a video of Dave doing a lap of 1:26.0

Having had our first runs in the car, it was obvious that the brake pads needed to be changed over the lunch period. The pedal was now getting too low to heel toe and on closer inspection the inner were very close to the minimum. Lunchtime came and we began the task:

DSC_0329.jpg

The lunch break was soon drawing to a conclusion so we rushed to get the car in the queue. Ryan was first out in the car after lunch and for the first time, Reg came out with him as a passenger. Reg has been the only sponsor of any description so far, so we were keen to see him share in the fun with us. After another 5 or so minute wait, Ryan was out on track. Barely half way round and they noticed some smoke coming out of the corner of the bonnet. Ryan pulled the car over pretty quickly and got it out of the way at the second chicane.

The smoke didn’t seem to get any worse and we made the assumption that something engine related had let go. When the course ambulance with its tow rope came to collect us, Ryan asked if we should lift the bonnet and they didn’t think it was necessary and it remained closed. The car was calmly towed back in without any more incident…..

DSC_0332.jpg

Once it returned, we lifted the bonnet to find that the brake fluid reservoir was ablaze!!! Ryan quickly grabbed an extinguisher from the ambulance and the fire was soon out, not without a fair mess of foam spreading around the engine bay though! We had made a cardinal mistake and had not tightened the brake fluid reservoir back up after changing the pads. The fluid had been exposed to the hot exhaust, caught alight, but because Ryan had stopped the car, it had not spread around and it was just the reservoir that contained the fire.

IMAG0191.jpg

As you can see from the picture, we got away kind of lightly really. The damage has been contained to the reservoir, so we will just replace that and the problem should be sorted, no need to panic. Despite this ridiculous occurrence, we were still upbeat; we even managed to sell our track pass for the afternoon to another gentleman who gave us £70. This should easily cover the cost of the new reservoir and pipes. The car felt positive in the reasonably limited running we had in it and we are now really looking forward to the Donington race where Rob and Ryan will be in the driving seat!

Last edited by a moderator:
  Chase Racing Clio
The car is ready, just need to pick up the tow car and get it up north. We're only gonna be 20 mins down the road tonight at Ryan's place so we should be able to get there in good time in the morning ready for a great day. The aim for the day.....finish the race, simple. Excited!

Chase Racing Clio
Thanks a lot guys, really chuffed with the result. Hopefully get the video edited and write a race report in the next few days.

I think we would all agree that we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, perhaps could've been a teeny bit more organised in terms of getting to driver sign, scrutineering etc, but all still went okay.

The car seemed to behave how we expected based on the set up that we had.....we certainly know where we want to go from here to improve it! Tyres is probably first on the list, they were shot towards the end of the race.

Chase Racing Clio
Banks Lies. I didn't expect the car to be anything like that and used seven different swear words during the race. Colvey looked like he'd just seen a talking horse.

Clio 172
Car looks a bit of a handful, understeer and very loose at the back. Bet it made for some exciting unexpected moments of 'WHAT THE F**K!!!!'

Last edited:
  BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Well done guys with completing the race.

Looks like the car needs a few alterations with regards to the handling. What have you got planned before your next outing?

Chase Racing Clio
Thanks guys, still chuffed with the result. Especially considering what we found out about the handling afterwards.... we'd wound off the dampers in order to do something at the rear, then didn't wind it back on afterwards. So the rear was well under damped, causing it to scoot around a fair bit!! Hence, many of the scary moments you've seen.

We have lots planned before our next outing, so watch this space..... Chassis mods first, then we might ask for another 50bhp from santa