ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cigarette lighter not working - ideas?

2003 Cup 172
So my cigarette lighter isn't working - tried to plug in an air compressor (which I know works as it's fine in my other car) and nothing happened. I've gone through and checked the fuses and none appear to be blown (although I don't actually know which fuse is the right one). I whacked on a multimeter with the ignition on on both the lighter unit itself and then pulled the connector out of it and tried that as well, also nothing.

Any thoughts?

Don't know if it's a related issue or not (i'm assuming it probably is) - but the display on my clock doesn't work unless my headlights are on. Is the backlight for daytime running lights on the clock on the same circuit as the cigarette lighter?

Anyone else had this issue?

Cheers

Sport 182
I have this too.....plus, hazard lights don't work,and my radio turns itself of after about 45 mins...i'am gonna have to book it in and find out what's going on....????

Sounds like a fuse tbh

My cigarette lighter was dodgy, replaced a fuse & cleaned it out. works fine now

2003 Cup 172
I haven't tried my hazards, will see tomorrow if they're also gone.

Sounds like a fuse tbh

My cigarette lighter was dodgy, replaced a fuse & cleaned it out. works fine now

Which fuse is it? I can't find a wiring diagrams anywhere saying which fuse is which.

I haven't tried my hazards, will see tomorrow if they're also gone.

Which fuse is it? I can't find a wiring diagrams anywhere saying which fuse is which.

Can't remember as it was a while back. I think it's something to do with the radio fuse & interior light fuse

May be worth just checking all fuses carefully, will only take 5mins to do

extreme flamer
As above its most likely to be a fuse in the little fuse box on the side of the dash, I had this problem where my 12v soclet didn't work and my radio would mysteriously turn off after a drive to work (about 30 mins), don't know about hazards as I didn't try them but most likely a fuse imo (all circuits are marked on the fuse box lid on any clio I've messed around with, don't know about 172s and 182s but)

2003 Cup 172
Ahhhhhh, this is where I'm falling down! I didn't know there was another fuse box other than the one in the engine bay (I did think it was odd that there were so few fuses). It's all becoming clear now.

Will check it out when I get home, out celebrating Reading's conquest today of the Championship, wooop wooooop!!!! Game wasn't that great though, ref was crap as usual.

2003 Cup 172
Just checked - there wasn't even a fuse in the slot, let alone a blown one!! I hate it when you find stupid little things like this that show that some previous owners were total morons that did nothing for the upkeep of their car. I'd understand if the fuse was blown and they didn't realise and left it in, but they actually removed it and never bothered replacing it, grrrr. (plus the spare on the inside of the fuse cover had been used elsewhere, so there was a gap there too.

Cheers for the advice.