ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Civic Type-R to 182

Finally took delivery of my black gold 182 today and have spent most of the day putting it through its paces. its the first personally (non-company) car ive owned since i sold my CTR which i owned for 2 years and 40,000 miles.. my brother also has a facelift CTR which ive been "looking after" for the last two weeks as he was on holiday. I know these discussions are always subjective but id just like to sum up what i think about the differences.

EP3 CTR (02) (04)

unbeatable gearbox and engine combo obviously largely the same between both. always was disappointed with VTEC in the CTR my mate has a JDM Teg-R and Vtec in that is insane but the Civics i-VTEC was always like hitting one of those rubber counter strips they lay across the road .. you had to be paying attention to notice it .. handling wise its really difficult to sum up, the 04 has improved over the 02 but the DNA is the same.. the rear still feels like its loosely joiend together with rubber bands, especially on adverse camber bends, and ready to twang out just at the wrong moment and in general the car has a really front heavy feeling confounded by the wet, a real source of personal frustration.. the 04 is definitely better in this respect.. the sound is excellent ... just take one through a tunnel and floor it into vtec with the window down if you dont know what i mean. I suppose to sum up the CTR id say it was a frustrating car if that makes sense, it demanded full attention at most times and the characteristics of the engine meant it was always about gritted teeth and the red line, most frustrating of all though was the contrast between the engine/gearbox and the set up of the car.. the K20A is a masterpiece as is the 6 speed box it is attached to but the rest of the car just cant keep up in my opinion. poor traction, lifeless steering (although to be fair it was and is pretty good on the limit) and just a general frustration. a great car though and an utter bargain and surely all masterpieces should have flaws, its just a shame they are so invasive in the CTR.. very quick but i would argue that it wasnt much fun, i cant say i ever had a laugh in a CTR which i suppose was the biggest problem, it could have been so good.. imagine an elise with that sort of engine/gearbox combo ...?

big contrast so far... irritations - the auto lights (which take an age to switch off) and auto wipers will take getting used to, the gate for 2nd gear is very very odd as well; i thought i had a dud this morning til i pulled the car up and searched for second gear, a real disappointment if youve ever driven a civic in which it is impossible to miss a gear... bizarre driving position, steering wheel is too big and slightly too far away, zoom and distort rear view mirror ....but on the positive side the engine, never been near a 2 ltr renault until this car, very impressed with the power/torque band, makes a nice noise as well. steering could teach the CTR everything about weight and feel, wet weather handling is excellent, as is the handling in general but i suppose the main thing is the car is fun, loads of fun, just like my old VTS and 306, proper fun, throw it around play with it and it just comes back for more. im sure bits will drop off and im sure that it will lose money much quicker than a CTR and MCS but thats not the point, i spend all week in a lexus gs and its great for comfort and cruising but after 2 years of frustrating CTR ownership i think ive re-discovered why i always loved cars and driving ... cant wait to get it on the track once its nicely run in

Lee

BMW M2C

Kill the auto lights and you are sorted then :D

Just switch the ignition on, not starting the engine and turn the lights on and off twice. You will hear a beep and they are disabled.

Having driven both, and almost purchased a CTR twice, first time I chose a 172, second a 182 I agree with you on all of those points.

You mention the Elise, I know people have been running CTR engines in Westfields etc. Not too succesfully though. Unreliable and the characteristic of the engine doesnt suit sprint tracks where a lot of these cars run.

Wouldnt mind trying the new Elise with the Toyota engine in it though, should me much improved over the guttless old K series.

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 30 June 2004

Having driven both, and almost purchased a CTR twice, first time I chose a 172, second a 182 I agree with you on all of those points.
yeh, having lived with one so long (CTR) its still difficult to explain why it was so frustrating, i loved it to bits but i found myself wanting to end journeys because of "stress" i suppose. i resented the bad reviews the civic got when i first owned one but have to admit they were largely right about it. the 04 is a definite improvement but the basics are still the same ... real shame. i suppose to put it into context tho, if there was a new teg (not a dc5) which had the same set up id have bought one without a test drive ...

At last an owner with the right attitude of course the bits will fall off and you will get buzzy interior, but have you ever been in a rally spec car they creak and squeek like f**k and this gives you the same sort of cheeky grin on your face that a rally car gives when you push it past the limit and the back end steps out but you allways know that with a quick lift of the throttle it will snap back into line. You im sure will love it with your attitude, it brings me to tears when i hear people who have payed very little for what is essentially a great track car moan that the glove box rattles or the engine is a bit noisey its a fun car not a 9-5 comuter. Enjoy it!

Having just picked up my 182, i experienced almost everything mentioned, little noisy, a few rattles and bangs but i havent stop smiling. I find myself looking for any reason to drive, anywhere any when. To be perfectly honest most people think i should of got a bmw or lexus for this type of money (second hand), but i wouldnt change my mind. I know the CTR is nice, but it just isnt as much fun as the 182, the CTR has to be really revved to get anywhere, the 182 is far more enjoyable even driving around town.

Just cant wait until the engine is run in to see exactly what this can do.

dk

911 GTS Cab

i agree with all the comments so far although I still get surprised how much stick people give the clios seating possition, after 2 seconds I had forgotten about it and it seems perfectly normal to me now!

I have been driving mine like I stole it from new (after the run in period of course) and I have enjoyed every second, although I was getting a bit frustrated that everyone was getting a better MPG than me as I was only getting 29.

So I decided that this week I would drive it as sensible as an advanced driving instructor and after 150 miles of motorway and a road driving I got the mpg up to 36.7 which I was very impressed with, but I go SOOOOO frustrated as it is just not a car you drive round at 2-3 k revs, unless you are hitting 5k + its takes the fun out of it so I have scrapped that idea now and today went back to driving it like I stole it and I am much happier.

Have proven to myself that I can do it but I would rather fill up a little more often and enjoy every drive!

what makes me laugh is when people say its lumpy at idle speeds, what do they expect? You want something to go crazy at 4-5k revs or a silent pootle around town car?

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 30 June 2004

i agree with all the comments so far although I still get surprised how much stick people give the clios seating possition, after 2 seconds I had forgotten about it and it seems perfectly normal to me now!

thing is until i drove it for a prolonged period i suppose i just wouldve thought of it as a bad driving position but thats not necessarily true, its a combination of things that make it not ideal. steering wheel is too far away and (maybe i have short arms).. th clutch pedal in typical french style is miles higher than the brake and go pedal. the pedals are offset .. and the seat back doesnt have a perfect angle. in isolation not too bad but together a bit of a pain at first, of course its quickly forgotten about and i think bad driving position to a lot of people means they cant be arsed spending their time setting things up the way they like ...

I would actually prefer the wheel a bit further away tbh, so I suppose it must be a compromise.

(Ive only got titchy legs!!)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 30 June 2004

what makes me laugh is when people say its lumpy at idle speeds, what do they expect?
Imagine what it would be like without VVT then... they aint seen lumpy! ;)

Some interesting, well written post here brothers.

Interesting to read the initial post on the honest comparison. As already mentioned its subjective and people buy cars for all sorts of reasons, personally I love the way the clio looks, I think the CTR looks like bobba fetts spaceship, but hey thats just MHO!

I have raced a ctr and there was nothing and i mean nothing in it in straight line acceleration, but I am aware that this would be a different story 110 plus - but again the way i drive consists largely of little blasts from lights and on dual carriageways, so the clio suits me, the bottom line is that they are both great cars.

You can actually get the Elise with the CTR engine and gearbox. It is made by Blink Motorsport.

Nice to see an honest post, it of course will sound typical me saying this but aside the gearbox i didnt know what all the fuss is about with the CTR.

-Rob

" what makes me laugh is when people say its lumpy at idle speeds, what do they expect? You want something to go crazy at 4-5k revs or a silent pootle around town car? "

Is this in reference to my post ?

If so.. whats ya point ?

Anyway back to the topic ... Ive had the clio for 3 days now, I live 700 yards from my place of work my previous car was a 328 I BMW that was kinda fun..

I think your right with all your posts above, I good example was yesterday when I took a chick from the office out for a drive, she got in and started looking around the interior prodding the dask etc with a look of "HMmmmm" on her face..... So I put it in gear and scared the living sh*t out of her :)

Best car ive owned by far.... My partner has a Maza 6 if I wanna drive sensible... in the mean I am having a great laugh.

Before I got the clio, I tested the type r and a cooper s.

I just wanted to confirm what others have said here. The type r felt really low on quality on the interior, wasnt as much fun to drive but the reason it was on my list was because it had a bit more room than both the clio and cooper. All cars were good in their own way and it really does depend on what your intended purchase is going to give to you. Personally I just wanted a fast car that I could hoon about in and provide me with some smiles on the twisties. The clio fits the bill perfectly (even if it does feel like its falling apart already :oops:

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Quote: Originally posted by langers on 01 July 2004

Anyway back to the topic ... Ive had the clio for 3 days now, I live 700 yards from my place of work my previous car was a 328 I BMW that was kinda fun..
Do you walk to work or drive?

I used to walk but then got a car allowance from work..

I went into the renault dealers looking for a 1.2 nice and cheap and was going to pocket what was left over.... then took the 182 out and thought.. what the hell..

Its actually more like 1.1 miles from my work to my ffront door but cause im trying to wear the engine in ive been going out of my way say about 3 miles every morning... plus I get to drive the car more :)

Lee

BMW M2C

That thing will never warm up. :eek: It takes a good 15 minutes to get a 172/Cup/182 up to full operating temperature.

Tappd'd RS

Yeah, I noticed that Lee with the CUP, the CTR seems to heat up much quicker - if I was technically minded Id explain why but Im not, so I wont! lol! ;)

CTR only measures water temperature as (if im correct) does the 182 and the laws of physics dictate that true full temperature will take approximately the same time. it was always one of my gripes with the CTR .. NO OIL temp gauge which is what we all really want.

Apart from that more of an update on the old black gold 182 with cup pack ... its filthy (not in a christina aguilera way) but inevitably the weather has been sh*te since i picked it up. spent the week in the GS (lexus) but have been playing with the 182 on the two evenings this week that ive been at home. seriously cannot wait to get it on a track. which brings my next question. what sort of track days do cliosport.net do? otherwise quite an interesting week, my 182 seems to have a Nova magnet on the back.. either that or instead of a rear view mirror i have a closeup photograph of an overmodded nova.. never been into street racing, particularly in built up areas where these novas always seem to appear, quite interesting booting it onto the a64 on an excellent cambered slip road (if you know York) at the bottom of tadcaster road and seeing nova boy lose his back end and hit the kerb but am never failing to be impressed by the 182, yes the GS has 200 odd BHP but its a cruiser, as with all new cars theres a boyhood like anticipation to taking it out for a run. Always of course on national speed limit roads where there are no pedestirans and as a father, where there are no kids about. im really starting to believe this is one of the best toys ive ever owned. all i need to do now is take out membership and see where i shouldnt be taking it for a service.. have to admit also that sometime in the next few weeks the GS will be in the garage and the 182 will be taking me on business to meet some clients in cumbria .. it would be a shame not to with the roads up there .. i cant wait

Clio 197

Had my first encounter with a well driven Civci Type R at the ring yesterday afternoon. I was impressed. I was on his rear bumper for the entire lap, he would pull a length here and there due to gearing differences, I would imagine, but then I would reel him back in. 20km neck and neck. There was absolutely nothing in it. I would guess he was on stickier tyres than my Contis though...

Ed

Ex Clio, BMW 120d sport

04 CTR is not hard work to drive, its very quick below 5000 revs, as is it after. my dad reckons its just as much fun drivin that as his 993 and his ur quattro.

I can understand the handling on a ctr may not be so much fun, but it is a bigger car at the end of the day. I agree it does look like a space ship tho!!!

Quote: Originally posted by maffyoo on 03 July 2004

CTR only measures water temperature as (if im correct) does the 182 and the laws of physics dictate that true full temperature will take approximately the same time. it was always one of my gripes with the CTR .. NO OIL temp gauge which is what we all really want.

Apart from that more of an update on the old black gold 182 with cup pack ... its filthy (not in a christina aguilera way) but inevitably the weather has been sh*te since i picked it up. spent the week in the GS (lexus) but have been playing with the 182 on the two evenings this week that ive been at home. seriously cannot wait to get it on a track. which brings my next question. what sort of track days do cliosport.net do? otherwise quite an interesting week, my 182 seems to have a Nova magnet on the back.. either that or instead of a rear view mirror i have a closeup photograph of an overmodded nova.. never been into street racing, particularly in built up areas where these novas always seem to appear, quite interesting booting it onto the a64 on an excellent cambered slip road (if you know York) at the bottom of tadcaster road and seeing nova boy lose his back end and hit the kerb but am never failing to be impressed by the 182, yes the GS has 200 odd BHP but its a cruiser, as with all new cars theres a boyhood like anticipation to taking it out for a run. Always of course on national speed limit roads where there are no pedestirans and as a father, where there are no kids about. im really starting to believe this is one of the best toys ive ever owned. all i need to do now is take out membership and see where i shouldnt be taking it for a service.. have to admit also that sometime in the next few weeks the GS will be in the garage and the 182 will be taking me on business to meet some clients in cumbria .. it would be a shame not to with the roads up there .. i cant wait
what are you trying to say mafyoo - please enlighten