ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clanging rear spring since adjusting coilovers

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Might be nothing but I adjusted the drivers side rear platform on my H&R's as the car wasn't quite level each side, I dropped it exactly 12mm (so not exactly a monumental procedure!) and now whenever you go over a bump or go round a corner it just 'clangs' when you straighten up, like it's moving back into position?

The things is the only thing that was changed was the adjuster - a few turns and I know that nothing else actually moved so what is it?

I thought it might need to position itself or something but I've adjusted it many times and its never done this before?

Anyone had similar?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
rear spring didnt twist or anything as you adjusted it ? jack it up again and check its sat properly?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I suppose it could have twisted but what difference does it make? I thought both the bottom and top of the spring were flat?

ITB'd MK1
rear springs can be funny with adjustable platforms. sometimes the end of the spring can catch and ping if it's sat in a certain way. just try rotating the spring 180 degrees

MK3 GTI golf 16v
I suppose it could have twisted but what difference does it make? I thought both the bottom and top of the spring were flat?

yeah but they can twist and catch wich pushes them out of position a tad, mine did at one point

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Cheers chaps, I'm gonna pop out in a bit and have a look :)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I've been out and adjusted it - spun the spring round as much as I can get it to go - even jacked up it's bloody hard to move it!

Been for a quick drive and didn't hear anything but that doesn't mean anything yet :)

One thing I did notice is the rubber 'hat' that sits between the spring and the car is a bit twisted, but it's still covering the entire top of the spring so I doubt it's that doing the pinging/clanging.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
see what its like now then, should be fine i think mate, doubt the rubber hat would do anything

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Well it's just the same lol - proper pissing me off now!

350z, Subaru Legacy
I think I may have this issue - I've noticed it a few times when turning tight 90 degree-ish right hand corners at low speeds and it has done it once when going over a bump. It is coming from the rear O/S spring.

It is definitely a springy noise - a single bang/knock, I suspected that it may have snapped. but it all looks ok and appears to be seated ok too. (Vmaxx lowered around 70mm)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
odd :/ is it the spring making the sound under pressure, like the metal bending?

No, and it's fine when it compresses under load - I've played on speedbumps and its fine it does what it should. Infact if anything it does it more on level roads where the suspension isn't doing much.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
No it's not that, I also didn't touch that side it was the drivers side - its definately the springs not liking where they are and moving somehow!

350z, Subaru Legacy
If it's the same sound as mine it really does sound like the spring moving/twisting in it's seat, like it pings round a bit.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
^^ Ha!

I'll trade these H&R's in and a few quid for these new spax ones then - I'll even let you fit them for free ;)

The exhaust rubbers are 2k old so I hope it's not those - might invest in a prima one just to be on the safe side I guess but the sound comes from the other side of the car.

I can't see how 1cm of movement on the drivers side has caused this noise (I even swear the passenger side is doing it now :( )