ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Claying Today - Help!

LY V6 with Recaros
I'm off to halfords to get some clay, do I need any addional quick detailer, or is the one that comes with it ok? And how do I get the clay off once I've done it, do I need to wash it again after??

Burgandy 174 sport t
if u are goin to halfords u will probs get he meguirs one which has detailing spray with it.

wash the car and before drying spray the detailer enough to lubricate the clay and start to lightlyrub accross the panels in straight lines and keep an eye on the surface of the clay to make sure it stays clean and then give the car a quick wash again

BMW E46 330i Touring
Ay, as above. Megs Quick Clay is the Halfords clay of choice.

Although, if you use the QD, you don't necessarily need to wash again, although most do. I tend to not bother using QG and just use more soapy water on each panel as I clay it.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Nope, claying doesn't improve general appearance but removes impurities and stuck on crap that washing doesn't remove, therefore making paint as smooth as glass to the touch.

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
With it being rather cold right now, you should have a warm water bowl near by to warm it up a little bit so it's not really hard.

LY V6 with Recaros
I clayed part of the car, the bits that really needed it, but i wasn't sure if I was doing it right?? It seemed to just slide all over the place and didn't really feel like it was doing anything, I made sure the clay was warm and soft, and put plenty of qd on, and some of the cpap came off, but I could get all of it! :S I'll try again next time!

BMW E46 330i Touring
But make sure you pick the right Sonus. Some of it is quite serious stuff that can take away more than just bugs and tar!

It sounds like you're using it right Deb, just focus for a bit longer in the areas where bits aren't being removed, with more lube to stop it sticking.

106 GTi
As long as it is not the aggressive overspray stuff clay is just clay to me. From what I have read it is all made by the same company.

If clay is not working alone maybe worth wiping the areas down with something like Autoglym Tar and Adhesive Remover first to speed things up.

106 GTi
If claying using the detailer a rewash is not needed Maz.

If you claying using car shampoo, it is easier just to re wash and dry.

Maz

LY 200
^^ ahhh kk didn't realise you could clay with anything else lol

What gives the best results Rich ??

ST
I dont even wash mine before using the clay bar i jus fire it on when the car is thick wi muck..

106 GTi
Maz said:
^^ ahhh kk didn't realise you could clay with anything else lol

What gives the best results Rich ??

Both work well. I use the soap and water mix to save wasting quick detailer if I have time to rewash. This way I find you can get the panels a lot wetter making it safer from inducing any marring.

If I am pushed for time I use the detail spray.

LY V6 with Recaros
How big lump of clay should I be using at a time? I broke off quite small bits.

106 GTi
Alan said:
Knowsit mate....

The old brush down the jet wash is good enough for me...

Do you drag the brush on the floor first?

Not thought about using a drive through car wash?

ST
Nah not quite mate....i usually work from the top down a good few rubs back n forth across the roof n the bonnet, down over the doors n boot lid then onto the wheels, job done....

LY V6 with Recaros
Stalis06198.jpg

Here's mine after, but the phone qualities a bit crap!

RenaultSport clio 17
One other obvious thing and sorry if I am telling you how to suck eggs! If you drop the clay make sure you put it in the bin.....

Johnny