ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning alloy wheels

Clio Expression 1.2 16V
Okay Ive spent like £50 on car cleaning products... Ive got

Meguiars Quik Clay Kit
AG Bodywork Shampoo conditioner
AG Super resin polish
AG Extra gloss protection
and some Turtle wax black wheel dressing gel shi*

I want to clean my alloy wheels they are
SP_A0136.gif
15" renault ones what can i use to get them nice and clean

really dont wana buy any more products!! so must be outta the ones i already have or VERY cheap products!! cheers

106 GTi
Nothing above will clean any real amount of dirt from the Wheels, get a bottle of AG Engine and Machine Cleaner to get the grime off then polish them with the SRP and seal them with the EGP.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Big bottle too, and it does all the areas that the shampoo won't. Engine bay, door shuts, wheels, etc.

BMW E46 330i Touring
^ He means there's a different name for "Engine and Machine Cleaner" in the trade circles. Bulk quantity at a fraction of the price!

106 GTi
There is no actual direct comparison in the AG trade range. The nearest things are the Powermax series you would need to check with the rep as to wich one is closest maybe Powermax 2.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I tried cleaning my alloys today as well. Needless to say water + turtle shampoo + sponge doesn't work very well at all :clown:

Black 172 MK2
Nothing above will clean any real amount of dirt from the Wheels, get a bottle of AG Engine and Machine Cleaner to get the grime off then polish them with the SRP and seal them with the EGP.

this makes the 'glitter' stand out top stuff

Els

Inferno 182 Cup
Fairy power spray its pretty good for wheels.... my mate uses it on his wheels.. dont leave it on 2 long though

BMW E46 330i Touring
Please don't use Power Spray! You wouldn't dip your nice polished wheels in acid would you? Evil stuff.

Will AG Engine and Machine cleaner remove any protection like p21 wax,srp,egp etc)if it sprays on a surface with that on it by mistake ?

was gonna use it on engine bay but worried about it stripping my wax if it sprays on my wings by mistake :(

106 GTi
The AG will strip the above off your wheels, as for the engine bay place a couple of MF towels on the wing tops if your worried.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
meguires soft wheel brush and a rich mix of NXT shampoo, does the job fine as long as i keep the sealant topped up and clean them weekly.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
yup, turinis are indeed a b**ch. need to be kept well sealed up to prevent crap bedding in the corners next to the spokes.

Clio Expression 1.2 16V
bought autoglym engine and machine polish... can only recommend this stuff few sprays then just wipe. my alloys were very dirty previous owner mustnt of washed my little clio too often! really great product

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Best bet for cleaning wheels is to take them off completely. Doesn't last long in this weather mind you but done every few months it stops the paint from lifting on the insides and in turn prevents it from spreading to the outsides.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
As Rich's recommendation to me a few weeks back, I cleaned my oil stained 172 engine cover with the AG Engine & Machine cleaner.

Bit of a scrub with a brush to agitate product and hose off, it came up just like new!!

BTT - spot on with wheels too. SRP & EGP means dirt will hose off easily next wash.:)