ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning Black Powder Coated Wheels

really struggling to keep my interlargos wheels mint, have a feeling my DS2500 Pads are killing them but i love the pads for there outright stopping power,

looked high and low for answers, but have found nothing really conclusive on keeping them clean and protected

This is what happened after using bilberry wheel cleaner a couple of times to shift pitting that was occurring in the sharp corners of the wheel,

IMG_3099.JPG

Obvislouy there where past the point of no return so, had them refurbed, now mint again,
IMG_3156.JPG

so can anyone advise me what would be best to keep them this way, for general cleaning and keeping protected

would really appreciate answer off people who have experience with black powder coated wheels as i have a set of powder coated anthracite wheels on the S4 and they are no issue what so ever, just seems to be the black that bleaches so easy

Cheers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What do you use to clean your wheels? Judging by the faded black on the first pic, I'd say your wheel cleaner is far too harsh.

If I was you I'd cost the wheels in a semi-permanent protective coating, and you should just need a very mild wheel cleaner to clean them up.

Any heavy acid/alkaline based wheel cleaners are great at removing brake dust, but they dull the paint and make your wheel nuts and calipers go rusty and s**t.

What do you use to clean your wheels? Judging by the faded black on the first pic, I'd say your wheel cleaner is far too harsh.

If I was you I'd cost the wheels in a semi-permanent protective coating, and you should just need a very mild wheel cleaner to clean them up.

Any heavy acid/alkaline based wheel cleaners are great at removing brake dust, but they dull the paint and make your wheel nuts and calipers go rusty and s**t.

That was from using bilberry wheel cleaner a couple of times over a few months, I stay well away from the stuff now (lesson learnt)

Normally I just use valet pro snow foam then meguires gold class on the wheels for general cleaning, but it doesn't seem to lift the shite that gets pitted in the corners of the spokes, unless I repeat the cycle a couple of times, I don't always mind taking my time cleaning the wheels but some times I just want a quick wash to be quick

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
That was from using bilberry wheel cleaner a couple of times over a few months, I stay well away from the stuff now (lesson learnt)

Normally I just use valet pro snow foam then meguires gold class on the wheels for general cleaning, but it doesn't seem to lift the shite that gets pitted in the corners of the spokes, unless I repeat the cycle a couple of times, I don't always mind taking my time cleaning the wheels but some times I just want a quick wash to be quick

What dilution ratio are you using on the bilberry?

What dilution ratio are you using on the bilberry?

I can't remember, I probabaly mixed the bottle up well over a year ago, but it was really weak iirc, I always start weak and work my way up if needs be,

The first application it seemed to be just what I needed, then I came to remove heavy putting a couple of months later and it all just went to s**t,

Done them in the shade, the where cool to the touch, didn't let it dry on, have no idea what went wrong

But after a couple of days they where horrendous, had that feel of faded knackered paint,

But now they are fresh I need to keep them that way so may give c5 a whirl like you suggested earlier

Just I have never come across a dedicated powder coated wheel cleaner or any wheel cleaner that says it's safe for the finish