ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clifford or Toad, That is the question!! lol

cooper s full areo kit...
hello guys
Just got paid this week for the month, and wanted to get new alarm fitted next week.
Clifford or Toad? getting CAT 1, both with movement sensors, but also sensor where alarm cherps if you step too close( sorry cant remember the name!)
So basically which one!
brocky

1.2 16v clio
personally id say go for a laserline. my bro is a auto eletrician he does alarms everyday hes got a clifford but he regrets and wishs he got a laserline.

Mégane RS
Clifford do the proximity sensor, personaly i went for toad and have never had a problem with it, i've heard a few people say that the cliffords have caused more trouble than there worth

yer, toad do them aswell, they are sound, had my car keyed few months back and not having that done again! costly repair, But yer, Ive heard clifford are more trouble than they worth, Lazerline, ive never heard of?

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
i've got a autowatch on my 172 with proximity sensor its superb cost me £270 and the alarm fitter told me that cliffords are overrated

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
some guy with a black clio in my uni flats has a proximity sensor and everytime i park next to it does my head in! i mean its like everytime i open the door!

I think people who have a Clifford and don't like it, had a bad install.

Mine was MINT on my 1.2.. but it was installed/setup properly.. so I didn't have any trouble.

Megane225FF
never been let down by my toad.. has the proximity sensor on too.. good bit of kit.. usually costs less than a clifford too.

I had a toad cat 1 on my old 106 and it was excellent, never false alarmed an d did exactly what it was supposed to do, i have also heard less than complementary reports from clifford systems my friends have had!

"Navy" N17 TWO
I asked exactly the same questions when choosing my alarm..

Wanted the Blackjax, tilt/motion & prox sensors on mine - added the remote headlights too (car needs to be "awake" )

Professionaly fitted - £450 all in I thought was ok - never had any bother yet :)

2002 Clio Dynamic
The old Clifford stuff was really good,but the original company went bust and that Directed company bought them over,or just the name cant remember which so now all the Clifford gear is just renamed Directed stuff which is not all that good
Although they do still have the Blackjax system!

I'd go for the Toad alarm! Unless you can find a second hand Concept 600 somewhere!

Bus w**ker
I've had 3 different Clifford Concept 600s on 2 different cars. Don't get me wrong the Clifford saved my Fiesta when some scroat tried to have it away but they are overated.

The bonnet sensor is the most common fault with them due to the alarm being designed for yanks so any moisture and it will think the bonnet is open and constantly go off, this can be sorted with a change of sensor though. Heavy rain will also make the thing go off and with both of these problems your left with an alarm you can't set!

Blackjax really isn't all that either. It's so easy to get around it's a joke. I know of 3 ways to fool the system into letting you drive away without the car needing the code, alarm blaring or the car cutting out.

Can't comment on Toads as I've never had one but I've heard good things. Oh and don't pay for the remote headlights as most installers now fit this option for free when installing the 600 ;)

Sy

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Only bother with a Clifford if the fitter has roughly 10 years experiene. The are over complicated and cause hella problems.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
so whats the standard 182 alarm? i thought that it was a TOAD? is it anygood? if you bought an uprgraded alarm would it still just use the standard key to arm and disarm or would you need a seperate plipper?

i think that the remote headlight on thing is cool as hell though, my dads ml had it, and his new xk also has it.

Ford Fiesta
polarbert said:
so whats the standard 182 alarm? i thought that it was a TOAD? is it anygood? if you bought an uprgraded alarm would it still just use the standard key to arm and disarm or would you need a seperate plipper?

i think that the remote headlight on thing is cool as hell though, my dads ml had it, and his new xk also has it.

its a cobra. good solid cat 1 alarm.

106 GTi
I have had 2 Clifford alarms, and 1 Toad.

The 1st Clifford had lots of problems, but as Daz said this is mainly down to who fitted it, had it re-fitted under warrenty by another fitter and it was fine after.

2nd one fitted by the same company as did the reinstall on the first one, ! from day one.

The Toad despite lacking all the toys the Clifford had, was also faultless, did exactly what it said on the tin, and for a lost less money. Everything right down to the remotes seemed better quality, would be where my money would go if I had to get a Alarm fitted to a car today.

System is only as good as the person fitting it though.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I always wanted to know why the car has to be out of "sleep mode" to activate the remote headlights :S

If you leave the car for a while - you have to unlock the doors so the car is "awake" to enable remote headlights.

Bit annoying sometimes when you can't "play" with the lights without unlocking the car :dapprove:

If anyone has found a cure for this - tell me how ;)

Bus w**ker
Tigger said:
If anyone has found a cure for this - tell me how ;)

Um take it back and get it fitted correctly. You should be able to activate the remote headlights what ever state the alarm is in and even if the engine is running.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Took it back twice and they told me the car goes into "sleep mode" after a period of time to prevent the battery running flat or whatever.
Told me the same abuout a megane they fitted the same alarm to. In other words, they are saying its a renault thing that disables it.

So after this time period the only thing active will be the alarm itself and the sensors

Anyone have the Concept 650 and not have this problem?

cheers guys for all the responses, as i always say, you always give good advice! Yer i was thinking of going for the AI606 Toad. Ive been told by alot of people, the clifford has some good toys, but most of them are pointless and its overpriced, Toad has what you need and is a good price.
brocky

Clifford everytime... Don't even get me started on how pants the toad alarm is to fit and how non user friendly it is.

I fit them and i hate doing toads. Cliffords are put together so much better.

Megane Trophy
Ive had both, had the concept 300 on old corsa, and concept 450 as well

always used to go off for no reason and in the summer the proximity sensors were all over the place!

I have a toad ai606 on my clio now, never had a problem im looking to add the proximity sensor to it though!