ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 16v Running Lumpy with Loss of Power.

2001 Clio Sport 16v
Heya everyone.

I have a Y Reg 1.2 Clio sport 16v that I bought 1 year ago and it has been running lovely. Then one day last week I went to go to work and it wasn't right.

Most of you probably know what I mean when I say it's running lumpy, but to explain what it feels like would be similar to if you was to try and pull away in 3rd gear.
It's really shaking whan you just sit in it whilst its running and is really lumpy in 4th and 5th gears especially. Also it has got no go in it, loss of power when trying to speed up.

I'm not very mechanically minded but I was told that it would probably be the Coil Pack. So I ordered a new one and It arrived yesterday. It's one that has the leads already in it. I also got 4 new spark plugs for it aswell. I got a family friend to fit it for me, tried it out and its still the same :(

If anyone has any advice and suggestions about this, I'd be very grateful.

forumbox_top_left.gif
forumbox_top_tile.gif
forumbox_top_right.gif
forumbox_left_tile.gif

Ignition Coils
%7B0EB75447-F65F-4493-9961-070F205F551E%7D.jpg

Ignition Coils

An ignition coil (also called
a spark coil) is an induction coil in an automobile's ignition system which
transforms a storage battery's 12 volts to the thousands of volts needed to
spark the spark plugs.

This specific form of the autotransformer,
together with the contact breaker, converts low voltage from a battery into the
high voltage required by spark plugs in an internal combustion engine.

In
older vehicles a single (large) coil would serve all the spark plugs via the
ignition distributor.

In modern systems, the distributor is omitted and
ignition is instead electronically controlled. Much smaller coils are used with
one coil for each spark plug or one coil serving two spark plugs (so two coils
in a four-cylinder car). These coils may be remote-mounted or they may be placed
on top of the spark plug (coil-on-plug or Direct Ignition). Where one coil
serves two spark plugs (in two cylinders), it is through the "wasted spark"
system. In this arrangement the coil generates two sparks per cycle to both the
cylinders. The fuel in the cylinder that is nearing the end of its compression
stroke is ignited, whereas the spark in its companion that is nearing the end of
its exhaust stroke has no effect. The wasted spark system is more reliable than
a single coil system with a distributor and cheaper than
coil-on-plug.

Where the coils are remote mounted they may all be
contained in a single moulded block with multiple high-tension terminals. This
is commonly called a coil-pack.

forumbox_right_tile.gif
forumbox_bottom_left.gif
forumbox_bottom_tile.gif
forumbox_bottom_right.gif

2001 Clio Sport 16v
Oh, also when it fist started doing it, the engine light came on and flashed, Then after changing the coil pack and sparks etc, it stopped flashing and went off. It's still not fixed though.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Get the throttle body cleaned. Other half's car was doing same...and the engine light would come on and it would stutter after driving (stopping at roundabout, junction, etc). I did her's and its been much better since.

2001 Clio Sport 16v
Just wanted to annouce that I got my car fixed. Turned out to be the Injector. Hopefully if anyone has this problem, they may dig this up and get a solution. :)

2001 Clio Sport 16v
what did you do to it? mines the same

The problem just started happening one day randomly. I hadn't noticed any previous symtoms.

I took it to the garage in the end, they put it on diagnostics and nothing was coming up. They kept it in there for a couple more days, then rang up to tell me it's fixed. They had replaced one of the Injectors. Charged me £180 - (probably very expensive for what probably is a cheap and easy part to fit?) but you know what garages are like :) I'm just glad it's driveable now.