ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 Project

So thought may as well make a progress thread on my 1.2 Clio. So the story behind buying it is that it is my first car and bought it off someone at work for £300, and at 57500 miles, i thought that 300 pound was a bargain and perfect for my first car. So i went ahead and bought it, only downside was, he had lost the key xD however it was unlocked as it was in a unit being stored. So i got someone to cut me a key and when i went ahead and started it, the engine did not sound good AT ALL... However, luckily i work in a car bodyshop and the following day of buying the car i was repairing a van for someone who worked at the AA (the roadside breakdown company) and he offered to take a look at my car for me. So he found the box covering the ECU had cut through the engine loom.. so i managed to get one off a donor scrap clio for free and it started fine and runs superb.
I had no intention of modifying it and to just keep it standard, but working in a bodyshop and having access to stuff like paint booths etc i couldnt resist xD
So here it is as it stands
Modifications
-Spoiler (bought with the car however probably getting a cup spoiler soon!)
-Colour coded
-172 rear bumper
-SLIGHTLY tinted rear lights
-182 alloys
-Sport interior
-RS Front grille
IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG

Plans for future
-Coilovers / Lowering springs soon!
-Clear side repeaters
-1*2 Front bumper/wings/skirts
-New headlamps, mine starting to go cloudy, tried polishing but may as well buy new ones
-Black renault badges
-Colour coded dash trims

What a cracking looking car!

What is that spoiler? I kinda like it!
I'm not sure what spoiler is called, just came with car
But I got the lights polished at work with wet and dry and a polisher but soon became cloudy again so I think it's time to buy some
Looks really nice mate, deep shine nice colour, im 50/50 on the spoiler, ive never seen one before.
Yeah I'm kinda 50/50 but I think I'm just gonna get a cup spoiler

So I am now broke for a bit. So I decided to do a couple of free tidy ups. So I sprayed the front grill black because of sun fade and restored the headlights
These are the before and after pics of lights (the sprayed grill was done before taking pics so no before and after pics of that)
Before
image.jpg

After(they still looked cloudy in pic because of reflection so took some close ups) I think they turned out so well

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Another small update, decided to paint my front Renault diamond black, I think it looks loads better!! Could only get a crappy pic because a fence was behind me and couldn't get further back but next to do is 3/4 plates!
image.jpg

So the door cards I had were not very nice and they all had tweeters in for component speakers which I didn't like. So I decided to change them. Because it's a 5 door I couldn't get sport ones so bought some none sport ones which I thought were nicer
Before
image.jpg

After
image.jpg

However I quite liked the sound quality of the speakers + tweeters so decided to use these again. However I did not like them mounted in the door cards so I decided to mount them elsewhere for the front two I decided to replace the dash tweeters for the other tweeters which meant I had to use the tweeter surround. So I'm a bit undecided if I like the surrounds of the tweeters on the dash
image.jpg
image.jpg

And for the rears I mounted them in the Rear quaters
image.jpg

I have now painted the rear badges both black. However the centre Renault badge don't look to good because I have a black boot button, but soon painting this :D
image.jpg

Renault Clio 1.2
Really like what you've don't to this mate, gone and got myself a black 1.2, if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the rear bumper? I quite like them, thinking of getting one but haven't got all the money in the world haha.

Really like what you've don't to this mate, gone and got myself a black 1.2, if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the rear bumper? I quite like them, thinking of getting one but haven't got all the money in the world haha.
I think it was something like 25 or 30 pounds because it was slightly damaged. But got it repaired at work.

Clio 1.4
As you work in a bodyshop, how much would i be looking at for the rear bumper to be resprayed ? Best ive seen near me is £200

As you work in a bodyshop, how much would i be looking at for the rear bumper to be resprayed ? Best ive seen near me is £200
It's hard to say because it depends on the condition. But I just asked the estimator at my place and he said if it's just stone chips and little marks you'll be looking at £100-£120

Clio 1.4
Just a rear bumper thank god, mine is a spitting image of your car, just 3 door and 1.4. Also 172 alloys instead of 182 cup. Also where can i get a set of those rear lights, there growing on me more and more.
The whole car resprayed? You're looking at a lot! Just for bumper is about 100.

Last edited:
Just a rear bumper thank god, mine is a spitting image of your car, just 3 door and 1.4. Also 172 alloys instead of 182 cup. Also where can i get a set of those rear lights, there growing on me more and more.
I never bought the lights like that. They are standard but painted over, thanks to work, again xD. But all it is is laquer with a tiny amount of black paint in :). You should do a progress thread to. Wouldn't mind seeing another odyssey thread :)

Clio 1.4
Cheers. And yeah ill try to find some old pics and make a progress thread. Just sent my 172 alloys to be refurbed and changed black, sportex exhaust and eibach sportline lowering springs (£100 bargin).

So i have just bought a whole load of parts from ebay. Someone was selling a bulk of parts and decided to bid on it..
I bought a 172 front bumper, wings, arch liners, 172 rear bumper, door mouldings/bullets, scuttle panel, mirrors, handles, and maybe some other bits. But anyway, they have all been preped ready for paint in 2pak primer. Got it all for a bargain...£31 ahaha. But collecting tommorow, and i'll post some pictures! Then i'll get it all painted at work :D finally some updates on my car!