ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 1.2 won't start, keeps turning over

Clio 1.2
Clio 1.2 RN (with the funny carb/injection engine, 1995 year) with 100,000 miles and it drive well for past 2 years except a little bit of trouble when starting on rainy/humid days. The only trouble I had was when the car didn't want to start, 2 times in 2 years, and I fixed the problem both times by replacing the water temp. sensor.

Now, the actual problem
icon_biggrin.gif
- the car won't start, it just keeps turning over and over. The car was acting normal (quick start after 1 turn over, no issues with driving) for the entire summer, every day, no signs of trouble.

Few days ago I had some weird symptoms with tha car. These were the things I noticed:

- weak start (lots of turn over before the engine would start running)
- immediately after going on the road, I noticed a slight smell of gasoline (maybe because of heavy turn over?)
- while on road, engine would sound like working on 3 cylinders, I pressed the throttle fully for few seconds, and the car would make normal sound again

So, I got home and parked the car, didn't drive it for 2 days, and yesterday, after heavy rain, I tried to start the car. It kept turning over and over and over, no signs of engine start. I tried with the new water temp. sensor again, but no luck this time. I used engine start spray, nothing.

I didn't have any tools so I checked the cables with a screwdriver, and the spark was present.

What could be the symptoms? There is little fuel in the car, close to reserve, (when I shake the car with open tank cap I hear the fuel inside)...the fuel pump makes the usual buzzing noise when I give contact, and I could smell the fuel after trying to start up the car for 10 minutes
icon_biggrin.gif

I need the car by thursday (haha) because I have to go to work, what could be the cause of this?

renault clio 1.4 16v
have you checked the crank sensor? usually thats the cause of non starting, as for firing on 3 cylenders, not familiar with your engine however if it has individual coil packs one of them could be going... 2 of my coil packs failed at only 50k km