ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.4 Fuel Consumption

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Just wondering what the other owner's of 1.4's get as an average mpg? Mine is really bad at the moment, struggling to get 30!

I do a lot of town driving but even so, it seems incredibly low. When I first got it I could get 50mpg reasonably easily but then that wasn't in town.

Put £15 worth of petrol in it yesterday, done about 45 miles and it's down on 1 bar on the gauge again.

Is this normal? Or if not what could be wrong with it?

Thanks guys :)

TeZ

Non RS : (
My 1.416v can do about 50 and yeah goes down to 30 very easily lol get the better fuels EG tesco 99 octane i get betetr fuel consumption then

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Can I ask what your driving style is like? I have the odd mad moment but in general I'm not driving it hard at all, in fact probably less than I did when I first had it!

TeZ

yeah same, i normally do 30 miles to work and 30 miles back, and i average about 41 MPG as thats just 60mph and 30's

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Hmm maybe it is different because of where I'm driving now, used to do about 20-30 mile journeys on open roads, now it's usually 10 miles max, a lot of that in town. Just scares me how much money I'm spending on fuel!

Anyone got a bike I can borrow? lol!

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
This week I've spent £55 and done about 400 miles I guess, maybe a bit less.

TeZ

your in my postion mate sucks dun it.... seemd every month im skint but never really botherd to wander y lol may get a diesel for the work journey

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Seems I'm not alone then :( think it might have to go to make way for a diesel then!

306 GTI-6
a fair enough,hmmm may have to slow down to that speed if i get that much more mpg for 10mins more work.lol

My typical driving lesson with my mate is about 1/2 mile at 30mph, then 5 miles at 60mph, then about an hours town driving at up to 30mph with lots of roundabouts junctions etc then the return 5 miles at 60mph.

I normally put in £20 which according to the trip computer gives me about 270 miles (from memory)

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
lol mine says it will do 400 on a tank when I first put it in, never gets any where near that tho :(

306 GTI-6
thing is i do about 20 miles a day every day of the week and only put £20 in every two weeks so mines pretty accurate. I was well impressed when i saw the economy.

Your getting about the same consumption as my flatmate gets in his Leon Cupra!

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
thing is i do about 20 miles a day every day of the week and only put £20 in every two weeks so mines pretty accurate. I was well impressed when i saw the economy.

Your getting about the same consumption as my flatmate gets in his Leon Cupra!

In a 1.4 :dapprove: bloody hell I want some decent power if I have to put up with this rubbish lol!

clio v6
could be that you have a slight mis-fire but not bad enough to notice??
this would increase fuel consumption.

coils or plugs??

we could put it on clip for you claire.

alex

Monaco Blue Mk2
Mine's the same at the minute, absoloute shite. I used to be able to get a 100 miles of a tenner if i drove fairly economically. Now I can just about get 70ish to a tenner no matter how I drive. I'm gonna change my spark plugs soon an see if that helps.

Monaco Blue Mk2
There's definately something up with mine. Just been out in it now and it's idling at 1000rpm, reving itself a bit at times and the revs were holding at 1500rpm for about 5 secs before dropping to 1000rpm. Anyone any ideas?

www.renparts.co.uk
was always quite disappointed when i used to have mine..... i find on the same type of driving it can easily be matched/beaten in the 172.

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Cheers Alex, I think I'll have to get you to have a squizz at it, you mentioning the misfire reminds me that a couple of weeks ago it had a moment where it acted as though one of the coils wasn't working.

Spark plugs and all 4 coils have been replaced since the beginning of the year but maybe I have an iffy one?

On the plus side I took it into Protyre today for 4 wheel alignment, expecting a massive bill, but it only came to £25! Awesome :)

Monaco Blue Mk2
idle regulator or an air leak mate..^

Haha, I've found the problem...

Today I had hardly any accelerator, as in there was only about an inch of movement in it. I thought it was just a problem with the cable so had look. After further inspection I found that all four screws the hold the airbox on were missing! This meant that it had worked loose from the throttle body, and as the throttle body is held on by the airbox, that had also come loose. Should be an easy fix, just need the 4 screws.