ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.6 16v misfire / lumpy

51 Clio 1.6 16v
Hi, new user here, I assume this site is for the 172 and 182 but hopefully you're all Renault experts so you may be able to help. I had the clio in for a misfire about 6 months ago and it was a coil pack, cost £65. Now it's doing it again, lumpy tickover, lack of power, but still runs and drives fairly ok ish, it seems like the same thing as before? I've disconnected them one at a time, and with three of them it almost cuts out, on the fourth it only gets marginally worse, so I'm thinking this is a faulty pack, right or wrong? :(

Also if it is this, I can see there is just a 10mm then they pop straight out, is it just a case of popping a new one straight in?

Would prefer to do it myself as the coil is about £20-25 saving £40

Been a frequent poster on Ford & Vaux websites with my Rs turbos and Astra Gsi but this is the first time the Clios gone wrong! ish. Any advice appreciated :D

Polo + Micra
more than likely the coil pack(i've had 3 go on my 1.6)

it is hard to tell which one it is sometimes but it is normally the one you think it is.

yeah just undo the 10mm and it just pulls out

and welcome to cliosport

Fabia vRS
I've got exactly the same problem on my 1.2 16v, at about 1200 - 1400revs the misfire is terrible!!! and on tick over it's really lumpy, bounces on the revs loads n nearly stalls sometimes...

Is this the coil pack or something else....please clarify as i don't fancy paying the Renault Idiots a fortune to look round it and end up just changing that or even changing the wrong thing

thanks in advance.

Jim

clio mk2 1.2 16v
I had the same problem with my 1.2 16v, had a new coil pack, air flow sensor and wiring loom al sorted now :approve:

Fabia vRS
No mate, none wat so ever.

Just driven it home from work and it misfires through out the range now, it's like driving a friggin' tractor!

Out of curiosity how much did all that cost? coil pack, air flow sens + wiring loom

Polo + Micra
when my coil pack went my toxic fume light was flashing at me

didn't stop me from ragging it round sounding like a pulse jet lol

51 Clio 1.6 16v
Cheers for the info, does the engine management light go off or does someone have to reset it?

Fabia vRS
it sounds good to start with but after a while it gets well annoying, gunna phone my mechanic up today see if he can sort it, unfortunately he's not a Renault mechanic though

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
I've just had exactly the same problem,

I changed the plugs a week ago and it seemed to do the trick but a week later it started acting up.

Changed the coil pack two days ago and it now seems fine - fingers crossed it stays that way.

As for the waring lights - if the warning light is still illuminated a fault still exists - the light will go off idf you fix a problem but the fault may still be logged in the computer.

I say give the coil pack a shot - It about £52 from renault which is cheaper than an hour labour so you might as well try it.

al

ST on the way...
I had the same problem on my 1.6 a while ago, they changed the coil pack and didn't make a jot of difference, it turned out to be the throttle body that needed changing and fingers crossed it's been fine since. (apart from the incorrectly gapped spark plug)

clio mk2 1.2 16v
Think it was bout £300 for all. My emissions light kept flashing and i ad2 drive bout 5miles to a garage in 2nd n my car was nearly stallin wen i was goin 30mph. I dnt know if its related but my cats jus gon aswell, i fink it may be coz i was drivin my car wen it was fcukd.

Fabia vRS
it's totally buggered now, misfires through out the rev range and engine light keeps flashing at me mentally, so hopefully it will get me home then i can get it checked out.

Just been speaking to my boss, she has a clio, which had the same problem, she had the Coil Pack changed and its been back to the garage loadsa times but it still dont run right, she reckons i should fix it then get rid as my car will never be the same....what do you guys think?

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
Ive had the same problem - changed the coils and its fine and ive done about 200 miles since the repair.

If you drive about with it not firing properly you could do some damage to it whereby it woldnt be the ame again but if its just the coils that are the problem they are a breeze to fix.

I took a risk buying a new coil pack for mine and so far it seems to have paid off.

Fabia vRS
thanks for your reply, i will get it changed as soon as, i'll have to try and sort some other form of transport for the next day or two :(

just hope i dont damage it too much on the way home from work

clio mk2 1.2 16v
best thing is to go to a garage, tell him you think its the coil pack, also mention airflow sensor and wiring loom n c if that helps. dnt quote me on this but it mayb damaging ure cat aswell as unburnt fuel will be flowing through the exhuast system. Make sure u get the problem sorted ASAP m8

Fabia vRS
alright cheers, its only started extremly bad today, so just gotta drive it home, then my mechanics coming round to have a look, then hopefully it will just be the coil pack and i'll go buy one in the morning

Fabia vRS
All sorted now, just replaced the Coil Pack and it runs fine again now...cheers guys, £63 for the coil pack n all is fixed :D