ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1 vs Clio 2

1.6 16v clio priv

Id say what really makes a car classic is 50 years after they stop making them old guys are buying them from scrap yards to restore so they dont have to spend time with their wives.

The question is will we all be working on our mk1s when were retired.

What makes a car great is if people love it. And not just fans like us.

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 05 September 2005

The Clio 16v isnt fit to stand in the 205s shadow. And neither is my 172.

so...in effect...what your saying is.........

that your clio is every bit as crap and worthless, as a mk1 16v??

Just want to get that clear, since your posting on a CLIO forum

glad Im not the sort of person to get offended by people dissing my car lol:cry:

Thats really the point I was trying to make ^^^

Maybe I was a bit hasty in saying forgotten, but it doesnt stand in the same light as the others of that era, and isnt as instantly recogniseable to the general public (we dont count because were Clio geeks..lol)

well u have one thing right, you do sound like a geek!!

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 05 September 2005

Golf GTI, 205 GTi and Williams are the only classic hot hatches IMO.
Agreed, for me a Valver is close but no cigar!

just fail to understand why people will sl*g off thier own cars, this is supposed to be a clio forum!!!!!

if the 205 GTI, and the golf GTI are so much better than clios, what the hell are you all doing driving clios?????:eek:

Mk1 Gti - created the genre

205gti and williams - regarded as head and shoulders above their rivals when released and the williams had the added bonus of limited production run too.

Nobody is saying that the valver or the 172/182 are bad cars but they more than likely wont be looked back on in quite the same way as the golf pug and willy. Will be interesting to see if the Trophy is looked upon in the same way as the williams in years to come.

Tbh todays car culture is alot different to that of the late 70s to late 80s and i dont think any cars will be put up for hero worship in the same way. Enthusiasts still look upon these cars as greats and im sure they will with the current crop of hothatches but its the fact the man on the street who isnt hugely into his cars wont make a fuss which will probably mean they wont be granted the same status.

dk

911 GTS Cab

those MKI things were good in their day but I couldnt live with the interior and lack of refinement in todays standard of car, plus my 182 is better specced and faster so I cant see why i would even think about buying one when I have the 182.

Each to their own I guess but I prefer a newer faster better specced car.

IMO the only real reason the Willy will be remembered is because of its Williams branded nature.

Beetle

Mk1 looks out dated, old and well.... really old.

If you must say they look aggressive to make up for the fact they look sh*t, old fashioned and you cant afford a newer ca,r then crack on.
no loony nobody has said anything bad about valvers or owt:cry:

Mines going to be due tax in nov and its 1st service about the same time and my insurance is due next month. Oh the joy, and right before xmas too!

106 GTi

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 06 September 2005IMO the only real reason the Willy will be remembered is because of its Williams branded nature.

LOL Love these good old inter Clio ownership fighting threads.

Dont think that is true tbh Dave. The Williams was a very good car in its own right. It would have been recognised branding or not.

As Loony said the Williams was an evolution of the past succesfull hot hatches, MK1 Golf, 205 GTi, then on to what was the benchmark of the time the Williams. For its time it was the car to have. I would have loved to have been at the age I am now and been able to buy one brand spanking.

The Williams is the car the Valver should off been, this is why the valver wont be seen as a classic, that will be left to the Williams.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by r-jay on 06 September 2005

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 06 September 2005IMO the only real reason the Willy will be remembered is because of its Williams branded nature.

LOL Love these good old inter Clio ownership fighting threads.

Dont think that is true tbh Dave. The Williams was a very good car in its own right. It would have been recognised branding or not.

As Loony said the Williams was an evolution of the past succesfull hot hatches, MK1 Golf, 205 GTi, then on to what was the benchmark of the time the Williams. For its time it was the car to have. I would have loved to have been at the age I am now and been able to buy one brand spanking.

The Williams is the car the Valver should off been, this is why the valver wont be seen as a classic, that will be left to the Williams.
agreed

The Jinx

The main reason the valver got forgotten is because of the williams.

And really, who gives a toss in the long run. I own a car that I enjoy and can have a right laugh in. Im also happy in the knowledge that in some situations the valver can keep with the willys and the hybrids and the 172/182s no trouble.

Havent people got bored of these threads yet?

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 06 September 2005

And really, who gives a toss in the long run. I own a car that I enjoy and can have a right laugh in. Im also happy in the knowledge that in some situations the valver can keep with the willys and the hybrids and the 172/182s no trouble.

they are better than the what colour dot have you got on your 182 cup pack tyres threads!

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3

Quote: Originally posted by RALLYPUG on 05 September 2005
All Clio owners wish they had a 172Cup!;)

I dont. Theres that statement out the window.

I get bored of these threads, much like the tiresome "182s are sh*t" or "i beat a 18poo (haha that one never fails to make me laugh the humour!:sleep:) in my valver/willy/RT" you get on a certain site.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 06 September 2005

hes taking the piss ;)
LOL... all of the people reading this thread and you were the only one to pick up on the fact I was taking the piss - the others bit first time of asking!!!

Not the sharpest knives in the box these mk1 owners are they..;)

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by budj on 06 September 2005

The Clio 16v isnt fit to stand in the 205s shadow. And neither is my 172.

so...in effect...what your saying is.........

that your clio is every bit as crap and worthless, as a mk1 16v??

Just want to get that clear, since your posting on a CLIO forum

glad Im not the sort of person to get offended by people dissing my car lol:cry:
Bothered. Your putting words into my mouth. Just because I said the 16v is not as good a hot hatch as a 205 GTi, doesnt make it a bad car. The words crap and worthless came out of your head, not mine.

Got a bit of a complex, have we?;)

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 06 September 2005

they are better than the what colour dot have you got on your 182 cup pack tyres threads!
I dont flipping believe it, I only go and say this this morning and now one of these bloody threads has just been posted, I think I am going to explode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

quality thread, why are there not more like this, so much more interesting than the usual drivel. some of the comment from the MK2 owners are just snobish, but that only makes me laugh more!

The 172s and 182s are better cars for most people, but most people like extras, non dated dash boards, aethetically pleasing seats... comfort and driver apeal are all second these days, lets not kid ourselves into thinking that people mainly pick MK1s down to cost, as you buy the MK1 out right and most MK2 owners are HPd up to their eye balls. New Clios cost f**k all now, can buy new for 12k, bargain if you ask me, no wonder there are so many on the roads. Still dont see many 172s near me, but 182s are all over the place and they are the new Civic Type R, in that 90% are driven idiotically and thrashed everywhere with the owners thinking they are the fastest thing since Ferrari... thats something I think is genuinely good tho, as I can now put a mod on my car and go test it, as im bound to find some young lad in his 182 whos up for a blast :D.

Ian, ive driven the 205GTI and Valver and its a bit of a no brainer to me, 205 corners flatter, but goes from understeer to oversteer far too quickly and is slower... looks worse too imo...

valver may lean more, but turn in feels so much better... I cant really say which would be better in the right hands, but for me the valver is leagues ahead.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 06 September 2005
quality thread, why are there not more like this, so much more interesting than the usual drivel. some of the comment from the MK2 owners are just snobish, but that only makes me laugh more!The 172s and 182s are better cars for most people, but most people like extras, non dated dash boards, aethetically pleasing seats... comfort and driver apeal are all second these days, lets not kid ourselves into thinking that people mainly pick MK1s down to cost, as you buy the MK1 out right and most MK2 owners are HPd up to their eye balls. New Clios cost f**k all now, can buy new for 12k, bargain if you ask me, no wonder there are so many on the roads. Still dont see many 172s near me, but 182s are all over the place and they are the new Civic Type R, in that 90% are driven idiotically and thrashed everywhere with the owners thinking they are the fastest thing since Ferrari... thats something I think is genuinely good tho, as I can now put a mod on my car and go test it, as im bound to find some young lad in his 182 whos up for a blast :D.

LOL

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

Ian, ive driven the 205GTI and Valver and its a bit of a no brainer to me, 205 corners flatter, but goes from understeer to oversteer far too quickly and is slower... looks worse too imo...

valver may lean more, but turn in feels so much better... I cant really say which would be better in the right hands, but for me the valver is leagues ahead.
Im not trying to contradict you but every clio 16v ive been in has really slow,my mates got one and he gets thrashed by 1.4sri corsas,id be surprised if a 16v was quicker than 205 1.6gti

Polo GTi

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 06 September 2005
Oooooh.. thats a beauty!! ^^^^^ Game on again!!

lol shame its not Friday afternoon, it would top it all off

The Jinx

Quote: Originally posted by matty w on 06 September 2005
Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 06 September 2005Ian, ive driven the 205GTI and Valver and its a bit of a no brainer to me, 205 corners flatter, but goes from understeer to oversteer far too quickly and is slower... looks worse too imo...valver may lean more, but turn in feels so much better... I cant really say which would be better in the right hands, but for me the valver is leagues ahead.[/QUOTE]Im not trying to contradict you but every clio 16v ive been in has really slow,my mates got one and he gets thrashed by 1.4sri corsas,id be surprised if a 16v was quicker than 205 1.6gti

<leans back, cracks knuckles, takes sip of water and pauses......>

Right; I suggest your mate either a: learns how to drive a proper car or b: gets a new one as that must be defective.

As for 205 vs 16v; a former valver owner that lives near me and Jesus used to be a 205 owner and holds the same opinion as Jesus I believe. I also believe that this is a view shared by Mark R. Outright the 205 may well handle "better" but it has virtually no line between understeer and snap oversteer. Thats why they kill so many owners I believe.

As such I think the valvers element of on-limit control-ability gives it the edge.

VaVa

Judging by the fact that you quoted him and replied is a definite YES. lol.

The 205 is a better car than the Valver. Do you ever hear of the 16v being mentioned ad one of the all time great hot hatches? Do you f**k. Get over it.

106 GTi

Outright the 205 may well handle "better" but it has virtually no line between understeer and snap oversteer. Thats why they kill so many owners I believe.

As such I think the valvers element of on-limit control-ability gives it the edge.

Very true the 205 does handle better, but is very edgy, that fine line is what makes it so satisfying to drive. Its not a case off no line between understeer and oversteer though. If you pushing hard and you back off then it will bite you.

VaVa

Couldnt give a f**k TBH. Im just bored. I think youve bitten more than most.
lol.. Im the one doing the fishing!!

God you mk1 owners have such an inferiority complex..:p;)

The 172 is a better car than the Valver. Do you ever hear of the Valver being mentioned as one of the all time birds car? Do you f**k. Get over it, were all big jessies and your just jealous! *minces off*

well well, youve shown your true colours! :eek:

VaVa

The 172 is a better car than the Valver. Do you ever hear of the Valver being mentioned as one of the all time birds car? Do you f**k. Get over it, were all big jessies and your just jealous! *minces off*

well well, youve shown your true colours! :eek:
:mad:

:D Good man!!!