ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 16v Turbo Project.... Maybe??

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
MAXIBOY said:
pistons for up to 260 bhp are only 40 quid a set after that it gets expensive but i think between 350 and 400bhp is possible but still not 100% sure about the uprated gear box

£40?? are we talking stock pistons from another car which are the same size with lower CR? That would be very cheap. Cheapest i got for custom forged is £350 delivered.

Paul

Clio RS Mk1
pmurray said:
What and lag big style?!

Paul

Why?

AR 155 Q4 with 2.0 l engine has T3. o.8 bar @ 25oo rpm

We put on 1.8l mazda mx5 (aka. MIATA) same T3 turbo, and no such thing as lag big style. It reached 1.3 bar @ 3.5oo rpm. Realy kickin off at that point.

Williams20V-306BHP
£350 just for pistons.... yougotta add up all the costs before you start... one of the most important things it intake temp. you'll never get over 300 without a seriously good intercooler or charge cooler. and then there's the space. there is not allot of room in the engine bay..

T3.... not ideall T28 is more than big enough for 260.
but its a valver engine. even with forged pistons i doubt it will take over 280... and as for the gearbox... ill give it a week..lol

clio 16v
ben what BHP do you think the standard crank/rods can take? what turbo do you recommend, and what BHP do you think is achievable??
Questions, questions i know.......

Std crank is well made on the 1.8, and the early rods are BEEFY.

Its not boost or bhp which breaks rods and cranks, its rpm. The highest loading on a rod/crank journal isnt on the combustion stroke but on the exhaust stroke around TDC depending on rod/stroke ratio.

If you controlled the burn properly (this includes piston crown, chamber and quench modifications) and very very accurate mapping based more on EGT and ignition timing than AFR as thats easy to hit. I'd say you could hit 300-350 on std rods, and higher with std crank/steel rods. Ultimately who says you have to stop pushing until you hit 600-750bhp. When playing with high output FI, the problem becomes controlling the burn, and thats it, everything else is easy to get round in comparison.

clio 16v
i think i'm just going to save up and then come and see you ben. you seem like a nice man, who knows what he's talking about!!

Just remember, turbocharging sucks unless its done properly, and properly costs. I wouldnt bother unless you were going for at least 300bhp.

Clio RS Mk1
BenR said:
Just remember, turbocharging sucks unless its done properly, and properly costs. I wouldnt bother unless you were going for at least 300bhp.

WORD!

Even 300 doesn't seems much. That's why I suggested T3 turbo.

When U achieve 300hp then start thinking of how to put such hp on road. LSD is neccesary.

Don't know how much a gear box can handle?!?!

Williams20V-306BHP
djsly said:
WORD!

Even 300 doesn't seems much. That's why I suggested T3 turbo.

When U achieve 300hp then start thinking of how to put such hp on road. LSD is neccesary.

Don't know how much a gear box can handle?!?!

Even 300 doesn't seam much!!!! You ever been in a car with more than 200. Cragis is running bout 220-230 and that pretty rappid!!!! i could strap a IHI on mine and Have 350 bhp.... Doubt it will ever get traction though...lol

260 is more that enogh round a track with a good torque curve.

What is it tuner say...

BHP sells engines but Tourque wins races....... ;)

2005 Nissan Navara
in a front wheel drive car, i wouldnt want/dont see the point, in having more than 250bhp max, with a nice wedge of torque. theres no point. you will be forever breaking traction. and whilst turbocharged engines are fun, this problem is worsened by the very nature of turbo's, with the sudden torque increases they give. this is the main reason i have tuned my Mk1 in the way i have....nice tractive, usable power/torque.

Williams20V-306BHP
BenR said:
250!

more please.

Some people are never happy...l.ol

But over 250 from a 2.0 NA... you gonna have your work cut out. but im sure if anyone can do it you can.....

I just cheated and went for a turbo... less hassle...lol ;)

Lionel Richie
i don't know, but knowing Andy @ BB i would say no

there's a lad on here that's had the lowboost conversion done by BB, he should know

RENAULT 5GTT CLIO 2.0 16V
bbt's 5 just made 350bhp with stock engine, forged pistons, adj fuel reg and 20p.s.i of boost.

these engines are made for bhp renaults own f7 turbo made over 500bhp

its got every thing you need 4 valves per cylinder with the spark plug in the middle, a cross flow design and oil sprays under the piston, also the f7r piston is dished and the cam lobe design is almost the same as cosworth cams.

a williams engine with 9 p.s.i will make about 220bhp