ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 advice

Mk4 .:R32
Right after alot of thinking I have finally decided to go for a 172. Iam hoping a few of you can help me out with a few things. I have been looking around the forum to try and find the answers to a few questions but have failed badly Lol

-How much will the tax be for this year and next year?
-When are the belts due?

Iam hoping to get a 2003/4 172 around the 40k mark with around 5k to spend, is that realistic with my budget? If so what should the car have done service / mechanically?

I have seen a 182 (no cup packs) for sale at a garage on the IOW which is very rare, so Iam going for a test drive which will be my first drive ever in a RS. Are these alot different to 172's? I just want to get a feel for Sports before i look at 172's..but if non cupped 182s are alot different to drive then i wont bother.

Sorry for the boring post but i need some advice Lol :)

Cheers
Matt

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
I think the tax is around £210 at the moment going up to £260 next year.

Aux belt due at 36k and cambelt is 5 years or 72k.

182's are pretty much the same over than the manifold & exhausts, so abit more power.

I'd stretch to a 182 if you can, as you get cruise as standard and better wheels imo.

RB 200 Cup!
my 172 had cruise - awesome bit of kit.

perfomance wise nowt much beteen the Sports

as for your first drive ever in a sport - trust me afterwards youll be grinnng like a cheshire cat ;)

thanks for your reply mate.
Iam already stretching to get a 172 as Iam only 20. I have been looking at 182's but have been quoted silly amounts for insurance, to get a good one I would be looking around £6/6.5K wouldn't I?

my 172 had cruise - awesome bit of kit.

perfomance wise nowt much beteen the Sports

as for your first drive ever in a sport - trust me afterwards youll be grinnng like a cheshire cat ;)

Yeh iam pretty exited about it. I can't see myself getting back in the 1.2 once I have driven it

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Having had both (172 + 182), go for the 172. The 182 is not worth the extra. You could get a tidy 172 for under 5k, just make sure the belts have been done.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Black is bad. Looks like a normal clio, get flame or monaco, followed by iceburg, black should be bottom of the list. Realised last night that I've owned all of the 172 colours except black.

Black is bad. Looks like a normal clio, get flame or monaco, followed by iceburg, black should be bottom of the list. Realised last night that I've owned all of the 172 colours except black.

I have looked at a Monaco, I wanted your old one with Recaros but I wasn't in the position iam now back then. Whats Adrian Flux like? I just got quoted £1,950 on Bell :eek:.

A Flamin' Red one

Go for a Flamer and join our rare little club!

As far as insurance goes mate, try Bell agian but add your mother as an ADDITIONAL driver (knocks about £200 off) and oddly, if you say that your car is parked on a driveway rather than a garage it's cheaper still! I assume that you have been quoting online?

Also, try Admiral and Elephant. They are part of the same group so it's often worth bouncing the three compaines off one another.

Go for a Flamer and join our rare little club!

As far as insurance goes mate, try Bell agian but add your mother as an ADDITIONAL driver (knocks about £200 off) and oddly, if you say that your car is parked on a driveway rather than a garage it's cheaper still! I assume that you have been quoting online?

Also, try Admiral and Elephant. They are part of the same group so it's often worth bouncing the three compaines off one another.

Thanks mate i will have a look, no good adding my Mum though as she doesn't have a driving license Lol. Iam looking to start a new job this weekend so if it all goes to plan i will be making a purchase :)

Clio_Smart
I always thought black was nice in RS's but now i do agree that you dont see as much detail to the bodywork as you would with a monaco etc, i feel iceburg brings out the best.

Monaco RS Clio 172
good for you mate.

I finally had enough of owning older cars and bought a 172.

not regretted it at all and to be fair, mine should have wound me up by now, but everytime I look at it (happen to think my monaco is a beautiful car too) and mostly everytime I drive it, it is so rewarding. had it over a month now. gone so so quick.

just got back from portsmouth ren tec, had all the belts done.

would recommend them 100% for any work you need doing. seem to know spot on what they are talking about, and do a good job :)

as for price, I paid 4650 for mine, has a full service book to date, but on the 36k service (all services nonrenault dealer), the aux belt wasn't done.

so I swallowed it and done both today at rt. 570 total price. cheap considering.

so far, spent around 5400 I'd say on mine, with bringing bits and pieces and servicing upto scratch, and she is starting to get minter.

just needs a ktec exhaust (std one is getting manky), wheels refurb, stone chips removing (respray of bonnet and front bumper), and the wheels want a going over.