ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 brake problems!! please help asap.

clio 172 sport 2002
hi i have a 2002 clio 172. it has only covered 60k miles.

when driving if i accelerate quite quick and apply the brakes the pedal goes rock hard? then as the revs go down the brake comes to life?

abs light and serv light occasionally come on too.

it only does this problem occasionally.

i have had diagnostics and it showed 6.target wheel .one of 4? ?

i have checked all abs rings and they are fine.

please help experts.

anyone else had same problem??

could it be abs pump?

vacuum looks fine.

could it be servo?

regards

clio 172 sport 2002
That ABS light coming on is a bit of a clue IMO, look for broken ABS rings

thanks. i have looked for broken abs rings. they are all fine. i cleaned them all yesterday. and to be honest they dont seem to be going rock hard again as much as previous. ?? can i rule out abs pump??

172 Ph1
I'd be checking the servo valve as you said pedal goes hard , but as you have ABS warning does indicate an electrical fault.
Does it only do it for one time only or does it do it pretty much every time you try it. ?

clio 172 sport 2002
I'd be checking the servo valve as you said pedal goes hard , but as you have ABS warning does indicate an electrical fault.
Does it only do it for one time only or does it do it pretty much every time you try it. ?

it only does it occasionally. if i boot it then it tends to happen. driving around normally and its fine?? that fault code was the only one i had come up, 6.target wheel one of 4?? would you change the servo rather than abs pump first? the vaccum looks fine.

172 Ph1
If a fault code comes up and lamp on dash its deff electrical.
Servo would appear to be ok.

Check for rear wheel bearings for play as this affects the air gap at the target ring, which in turn alters the speed characteristics

clio 172 sport 2002
If a fault code comes up and lamp on dash its deff electrical.
Servo would appear to be ok.

Check for rear wheel bearings for play as this affects the air gap at the target ring, which in turn alters the speed characteristics

ok thanks. the rings look like new on the back. do you know what that fault code is? something is defo making the abs kick in when it shouldnt but only when high revving.

clio172 Audi TT3.2
Hi, I am having the exact same problem and would be very interested in finding out the problem with your car,, mine goes for its MOT next week and i have just fitted new discs and pads all round..

Scrumpy

clio 172 sport 2002
Hi, I am having the exact same problem and would be very interested in finding out the problem with your car,, mine goes for its MOT next week and i have just fitted new discs and pads all round..

Scrumpy

hi scrumpy did you find out the problem? did you have the same fault code come up as me? thanks. i ve changed servo and pump and still doin it

clio 172 sport 2002
could it not be an ABS sensor?

it may well be. but at 45 quid each it was cheaper to change the abs pump and servo . renault diagnostics is crap and they just didnt diagnose potentially what wheel it was. the rings are fine . the fault code ive had is target wheel one of four!!? but renault wouldnt tell me what the definition was??

Titanium 182
could even just be a dirty sensor . so a quick wipe could be all that is needed ? thats free :)

clio 172 sport 2002
could even just be a dirty sensor . so a quick wipe could be all that is needed ? thats free :)

ive cleaned all sensors and checked all the rings. do you think i might just need the fault codes clearing as i have replaced abs pump and module

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
Hi all,
ive been a silent member for a long time now,but now I need help please I have this exact problem. the problem was not there until I took it to a garage and had work done.
engine work
new rear discs pads,
front passenger abs (wheel speed sensor)
now on the way home from the garage my poor 172 had this same problem as soon as you go over 4000 rpm or so the brake pedal goes rock hard until I press the clutch down? It gave me a bit of a scare to be honest,
the garage isn't being very helpfull so I was going to ask the professionals :) if you have any idea of they got there's fixed!!
cheers
steve

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1

When you say engine work, did it involve removal of the inlet plenum ? Sounds like the brake vacuum line could be opening up.

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
Hi engine work consisted of
cam belt kit
dephaser pully
auxillary kit
N/S/F Abs sensor
full service
Mintex rear discs pads bearing abs ring............bad move i would advise not to purchase these!

Well after alot of messing around i found out the abs rings on the rear discs were wrong with 48 teeth, bought some 44 toothed abs rings replaced and it sorted the problem
thank god flying towards a busy junction with no brakes is a bit on the scary side!

Now Sold :-(
Mintex rear discs pads bearing abs ring............

Well after alot of messing around i found out the abs rings on the rear discs were wrong with 48 teeth

Had this recently when working on my mates 182. After fitting Mintex rear discs went for a drive and the dash lit up like a christmas tree after the back end locked up one wheel on a 30 - 0 brake test. Stripped it all down to discover the ABS rings were 48 tooth instead of 44. Fortunately I still had the old discs so swapped the rings over and all was good.

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
That's lucky I didn't have my old discs and had to really shop around to get 2 abs rings same day!!!

Ph2 172
Luckily I'm a hoarder and tend to keep old parts til I get forced to clear the garage out. Still ridiculously dangerous though!

172 cup
i think its a problem with the abs pump we've had them come in the garage with this fault ,,, an easy way to test is to take the abs fuse out the main fuse box in the engine bay on the passenger side ,, take it for a spin and the brakes should work fine ;)

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
Apprently mintex had a dodgy batch of rear brakes go out
they changed supplier and they fitted wrong abs rings and quality control totally missed then!?!?
​o well!

Ph2 172
Apprently mintex had a dodgy batch of rear brakes go out
they changed supplier and they fitted wrong abs rings and quality control totally missed then!?!?
​o well!

It sounds like a load of b****cks by Mintex tbh mate. Anyway hopefully enough people see these threads and avoid brake failure. G172 is aware of it too