ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cup 53 plate mot brake efficiency failure

clio 172
Hi This is my first post on here and I would like to let everyone know about my MOT today. I have a 53 plate clio 172 cup, which today failed on overall braking efficiency. The rear brakes were virtually applying no stopping power even though all the parts were in top condition. I was informed that the rear brake load sensor although all the parts were present were not connected, after discussions with renault and VOSA I found out that certain batches of 172's have the load sensor fitted but not connected, this means it does not conform to certain MOT standards regarding brake testing. The MOT assesor rang senior advisors at VOSA and they suggested doing an alternative brake test on the road instead of on the rolling wheels in the MOT station which is how it was tested by Renault prior to release. This test gave the efficiency required to pass the car but I doubt not all MOT stations would be as thorough as the one I visited today and i'm sure this oversite will lead to more 172 cups failing MOT's with no fault. My reason for posting is because from my conversations today my car could be the start of a batch of these now appearing at MOT stations and hope information helps you. One soloution was to tie wrap the actuator arm to maximum to pass the test but when you apply the breaks with nobody in the back the rear breaks would lock up earlier than they should and possibly cause loss of control from the rear tyres.

CB600FS
The garage isn't upto date, theres a note about it in the MOT notes

The valve is there as a union but not connected (Saves money/time making a completely different one for the sake of it) 172 Cups brakes do virtually nothing at the back.

Theres loads of garages that don't know/can't be arsed, they shouldn't fail though.

Lots of Alfas
We should make this a sticky on the forum somewhere, this problem keeps cropping up and people need to be aware of it.

Welcome to CS by the way.

clio 172
Thanks for replys hope newbies like me will get info before getting failure certificate. The car had to fail due to overall braking efficiency of 44% when the minimum is 50%.

Mondeo TDCI 130
In all honesty its a bit of a wierd one, because as a tester i know the problems faced, when you do your MOT you record the brake readings for each wheel, the mot computer knows the weight of the vehicle you are testing, when you enter these weights it automatically brings up the percentages on its own, and if these arent enough fails the vehicle. i have read the update and it says about the compensater not being connected is not a reason for rejection. luckily the only cup i ever test is GTgaz's, and thats to low to go in the rollers so we have to do a tapley test, (rolling stop from 20MPH).

RenaultSport clio 17
My cup went in on saturday for it`s first mot, thankfully never had any problems with the brakes only a number plate bulb out, sorry to hear yours had problems m8
Dazza

Impreza P1
Go to a good MOT station sorts the problem out straight away. had mine MOT'd a month ago no problems as they called Renault prior to enquire about the Cup braking issue.

Helps when MOT testing station know their cars.;)