ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup Hillclimb / competition project

Clio 172 Cup + VX220
My Brother and i have been looking for a light, fast and cheap car for a while and we finally decided the only way to go was the Clio, we want to use the car for hill climbs / auto tests in our local car club. It also doubles up as a car we can lug kayaks around with.

After a bit of looking around we managed to find a local car for silly money! It needs some TLC but it seems very easy to work on and unbelievably cheap for parts. The paintwork has a few scuffs and the interior was discussing!! We spent an entire day cleaning the interior and it's come up nicely.

Mechanically it needs a couple of niggles sorting. The first of which is engine mounts, not sure which one yet but it bangs when you're revving it hard in 1st and 2nd. The other issue is that there's some play in the offside wheel. We took the wheel off today and had a good look around and discovered it was the track rod end that had some play. We managed to get a pair for £15 lol.

So overall we're pleased, the car handles very well even with play in the track rod ends! I'll keep you posted on the auto tests, we have on booked for the 1st of June!
rallygraemlin.gif

14132904705_fa565ccfe3_c.jpg
photo by andydavidyeates, on Flickr

Clio 172 Cup + VX220
We picked up the new track rod ends today and fitted them. Had some issues removing the old joint as it was so badly worn but lots of heat from the blow torch got it off, the new ones were easy to fit so then we just needed to adjust the tracking. We don't have any fancy equipment so we did it the old fashioned way and were pleased with the results. Took it for a drive afterwards and it was a vast improvement, it handles really well now! It's amazing that the previous owner didn't bother when it was such an easy and cheap job!

14143752231_7417344750_c.jpg

Tomorrow we're going to remove the front bumper as it needs adjusting after a car park scrape. Whilst we're there we're thinking of removing the fog lights and fitting some pipework to go into the air box to help with cooling. Is this a common mod?

Clio 172 ph1
Them vx 220 turbo are unreal

people take them for granted and think they're only a vauxhall
My mate has got a stage 4 running 348bhp and it actually knocks you sick !!!!!
would love one if I had the money and they only seem to be going up in value,

i like your plans with your clio,how much did you get it for mate

Clio 172 Cup + VX220
Lol yeah it certainly surprises a few "super cars" lol and high end German cars! I love it but the conditions have to be right. I like the clio because it's just so chuckable! Paid £1030 for the clio.

Clio 172 Cup + VX220
Had a look at all of the engine mounts today and found that the upper drivers side mount had completely split!

13968156729_8540dd34f8_z.jpg

Couldn't get the lower mount out but it looked ok anyway so we left it.