ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 cup suspension

i managed to get a drive in a cup with the suspension supplied by r sport. i found it to be a hell of a lot better at handling mainly due to the fact you can put your foot down and still hold the wheel with one hand.

i have also heard a rumour about a cup modded by rsport with only renault parts that passed 212bhp. not sure about the details.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by dmf81 on 14 November 2003

i managed to get a drive in a cup with the suspension supplied by r sport. i found it to be a hell of a lot better at handling mainly due to the fact you can put your foot down and still hold the wheel with one hand.
So whats been altered then?! Do you know?!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 17 November 2003

Are we talking about Renault Sport or R sport in Wimbledon. I think they are different places.
Yup, they aint the same...

172/cup suspension. does anyone know the spring rates for both the 172 sport and the cup? are the shocks the same? I personnally feel renault have got it wrong on the suspension,the Cup is far too nervous on a bumpy road, and in my view verging on mildly dangerous. Any comments?

I belive the suspension is the same in the 172 and Cup. The Cup has a greater caster angle though which accounts for the different carecteristics.

Also the weight and sound proofing reduction may make the driving feel different in the two cars.

EDD

Last time I spoke to Rsport their suspension package was about £1100 because it had fully adjustable dampers (bilstein I think) with Eibach springs plus some other things i cant remember. Too pricey for me!

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 18 November 2003

I belive the suspension is the same in the 172 and Cup. The Cup has a greater caster angle though which accounts for the different carecteristics.
The CUP has different (stiffer) dampers, different (stiffer, lower) springs, wheels with different offset and increased front castor angle.

Quote: Originally posted by NickB on 18 November 2003

172/cup suspension. does anyone know the spring rates for both the 172 sport and the cup? are the shocks the same? I personnally feel renault have got it wrong on the suspension,the Cup is far too nervous on a bumpy road, and in my view verging on mildly dangerous. Any comments?
Search for a post by me - "172 handling transformed =)" and youll see that there is a solution, based around Eibach springs and, primarily, the fitting of rear shims on the suspension, a trick learnt from the Cup racer boyz.

...also, Nick Hill is experimenting with a cam/ECU kit from RenaultSport which I believe is the very same kit R-Sport supply. This, together with a new inlet manifold (again, from RenaultSport in Dieppe) could well be the source of more power.