ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cup vs Megane 225

MK2 Clio V6 255
Just a quickie, been asked by someone which ones quickest?

and how the figures compare

Cheers

Dennis;)

BMW M135i
Clio:
Code:
Engine Size:1998 ccCylinders:40-60 mph:6.7 sPower Output:172 bhpValves:16Torque:200 NmTop Speed:138 mph
Megane:
Code:
Engine Size:1998 ccCylinders:40-60 mph:6.3 sPower Output:225 bhpValves:16Torque:300 NmTorque:221 lb/ftTop Speed:147 mph
On paper at least the megane is quicker.

edit: Thats come out wrong. :dapprove:

172 cup TT
i slowely pulled away on a blue meggy, so either my cups quicker, im great, or the other driver is pap...

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Floodie said:
i slowely pulled away on a blue meggy, so either my cups quicker, im great, or the other driver is pap...

Me too....! Especially round the track..:D

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Danlp6 said:
the meggys are shocking on corners, but on the straights they will pull away slightly

From a mk1 maybe but never been the case in the cup..

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
TheJesus said:
impossible, the magazines say otherwise. the megane is also newer, therefore has to be better... FACT ;):clown:

LOL.....you need to upgrade to a cup.

Megane Mk4
yep .. the meggys feel paralysed round corners whereas the RS Clios have happy times round them ;) lol

Andi

EVOgone said:
LOL.....you need to upgrade to a cup.

I will when my requirements change and I need a bigger, safer and slower car... will prolly get the Megane as it's miles faster though :clown:

Guys

I have just swapped my 172 cup for a Megane 225 with cup packs which i pick up on saturday

I had a test drive last saturday which lasted 45 mins, the sales rep let me rag the crap out of the car, guys in all honesty the megane felt faster in all areas e.g 0-60, even from 60-100 handling was brilliant.

I have owned my clio cup for 2 years enjoyed every minute of it, on the twisties nothing could touch it, but let me tell you the Megane ain't to bad on the twisties as for straight line speed it would leave the cup, especially from 80+

The cup has abit more bhp/ton just slightly, but you must drive the meg to see what i mean, mental car with very good straight line speed.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Has nobody ever raced one on track? I'd be interested to see the results! Surely someone has? 172/Cup/182/Cup Vs. Megane 225/Cup?

I would assume the 225 would edge it, but i've never raced one...

Tyson.

172 PH1,Skoda oct VRS
i have just test drove a meg225 and am gonna get 1 i think, i have a 172 mk1 the meg was a nicer place to be if ya no what i mean but on a track i think a cup or trophy would have it seemed to have lots of body roll. only had 3k onit so was still tight.

MKIII 138
get on meganesport.net Pocket Rocket

the megane version 1 was more of a GT car for long distance cruising. even so the fat 18" tyres and great suspension couldnt be described as being a poor handling car in fact if it wasnt for the weird steering it was way more grippy than either my 172MKII or my current 172CUP on the one that i test drove.
however the new facelift versions F1, Trophy, Cup of prefacelift versions all have fimer suspension thicker ARB`s dont quote me on the last one, wider tyres now at 18" x 8 etc.. and crucially the steering has now been revised.

Evo Magazine quotes "The megane offers astonoshing grip for a car of its type !"

also dunno if anyone saw topgear with the 225cup on ?? the car was being absolutley murdered in the corners and they couldnt get it to lose grip and thats the stig in fact the rear wheels were smoking and yet still nothing it cornered flat and hard, to top that off the new golf R32 in the same show gripped about the same but thats 4wd and it understeered more than the megane ! and the track was damp and cold

the cup pack:

The Cup Chassis pack has all of the various engineering changes made to the Megane Trophy including: 18" anthracite alloy wheels, Dunlop Sport Maxx 235/40 R18 (ilo 225/40 R18), drilled front and rear brake discs, Brembo brake discs and callipers, bigger brake master cylinder with Brake Assist removed, revised steering connection and electronic programming, retuned dampers with uprated front and rear springs (25% and 77% stiffer) and dis-connectable ESP

the tyres are specially coated also. and the wheels are 1.5kg`s lighter per corner. official 0-60 times = 6.3 seconds yet auto car did 6.1 in a stock trophy which is sligtly heavier so a 225 cup can do 6.0 to sixty ! same as a wrx impreza

above 80mph the megane starts to use the torque/bhp advantage and pulls an advantage.

for £300 you can have 270bhp 258lbft compared with 180hp (if that, as lots of clio`s arent pushing claimed power) 158lbft the weight difference may help to 60 (although not enough to actually beat a megane to 60) but after that you need a fettled 182 to keep up.
dont think there is ultimatley too much in it perhaps only a few car lenghs but but 90% of meganesport owners are going for the RS-tuning remap and will gain 48bhp and around 40lbft extra thats the same power as an STI with almost a 100 less KG`s than that to give some perspetive.

even adding the BBPT exhaust+ open induction kit has given a RR`d proven 247bhp

the megane has 6.0 to sixty with 222/225bhp most cars with the same power in its class are over 100kg`s heavier audi TT 225, Wrx impreza, leon cupra R there all quite heavy yet the megane is only 1345kg`s the new clioRS is suposed to be 1200kg the megane cup isnt actually that heavy

edit: a megane sport user (Mapped 270bhp + torque) went up against an M3 (new shape) and didnt lose anything upto i think 1.20mp so with the new FMIC, Exhaust + remap 285-290hp should be seen as a max without changing turbo etc.. thats lighter and same sort of power as a Prodrive STI impreza !! and the last time i went up against one of those in my 172 i thought id put it in reverse

Last edited:
Pocket Rocket said:
Y0z2a

Whats the bad news have i made a mistake in buying the meg 225

No bad news for you.

I think the Magane with Cup Packs & Brembos / Suspension or the Trophy is a far far better car. I got into a LHD Trophy for the first time ever and mithered ArronC in his Cup for about 5 laps.

I think its quicker and once you get used to driving it, i think it would be a far far quicker car... So, happy days :)

I would say get some of the weight out of it however ;-)

/y0z

Thanks Yoz / Meggerman

It does have the 18" alloys (grey) and the Brembos with the cup suspension.

When i went out on the test drive it was a firm ride, the steering feedback was great, and when putting your foot down it just flew, the power it had was impressive, it just wanted to tear the street apart.

you worried me earlier on Yoz, but thanks for making me feel alot better.

MKIII 138
wait until its run in and your running some BP ultimate with your £300 270bhp RS-Tuning remap then you will have over 100bhp and 120lbft more on top of that than a 172 !!!!

Laguna Coupe
IMHO the 225 is no quicker than any 172 or 182 variant from a standing start mainly due to the fact that it cant get the power down adequately. Infact I know that up to 80mph the 225 would struggle to pass the Clio as my dad still owns a 172 and I've had many a blast against him which have resulted in me sat right behind him until such speeds. However over 80 and its a different ball game (see link)..................until I come to the
twisties :)

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/community/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2589&SearchTerms=jocker