ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 fuel pressure?

Williams20V-306BHP
Does anyone whow what fuel pressuer they run?

I know there is no return?is the presure set by the pump?

also does anyone know the max bhp on the pump or better still the Litre per hour rate

Thanks Guys

Flan

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Flan, in the tank there is a pump/sender unit combo, inside this there is a fuel pressure regulator which is a bosch 3.5 bar unit. It's quite a simple setup so that when the pressure in the fuel line exceeds 3.5bar it opens and bleeds the fuel straight back into the tank.

On PH1's they had a 3 bar regulator mounted on the fuel pressure rail, obviously with return lines back to the tank.

Steve

Williams20V-306BHP
Cool, Thanks allot Guys

Think ill have to find a mk1 tank sender and lines. Trouble with the 20v is when its on the boost it ups the fuel pressure?

Williams20V-306BHP
Don't worry mate that's the system I have on mine and it works fine :)

what system? the ph1?

or do you mean your running a turbo on the std system?

Flan :)

on the 20v there is a return and a fpr.. i could de-activate this and block the return? would that work?

also with 10psi on top of the vag fpf.. i wonder what pressure that would put the fuel under... maybe not quite 3.5bar?

Flan

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
I have a 182 turbo that I retro fitted a PH1 fuel system to.

I did have a diagram somewhere on how it all works but your thinking along the right lines, basically by having the FPR connected to a port on the manifold your equalising the pressure inside the FPR to the same pressure as whats in the intake manifold allowing the preset spring tension to control fuel pressure regardless of boost conditions.

The theory is that when you have 1 bar of positive boost in the intake system that when the injectors are firing the fuel system is also seeing this boost, now if you have a 3 bar FPR it means you will only need 2 bar of fuel pressure required to open the 3 bar FPR, obviously if you put 1.5 bar of boost through it the fuel pressure will drop to 1.5 bar as the FPR will still be seeing 3 bar of pressure despite it being a combination of both air pressure and fuel pressure.

However by pressurisng the FPR to the same pressure as whats in the intake manifold no matter what boost pressure you run, the FPR won't open untill it is 3 bar above whatever is in the intake manifold.

The theory seems sound to me and I've checked numerous standard turbo cars and they all run a FPR with a pressure reference port even the GF's little smart roadster has one as well as all 1.8t VAG engines. The only concern is when running really high boost for example if you have a 2 bar turbo system and a 3 bar regulator, potentially in the fuel system you could have 5 bar of pressure?

Hope that makes sense mate, I'll dig around to see if I can find the article, also theres a few others on here who are quite switched on about turbos systems who might be able to cofirm/clarify the above.

Steve

ph1 black 172
Flan, in the tank there is a pump/sender unit combo, inside this there is a fuel pressure regulator which is a bosch 3.5 bar unit. It's quite a simple setup so that when the pressure in the fuel line exceeds 3.5bar it opens and bleeds the fuel straight back into the tank.

On PH1's they had a 3 bar regulator mounted on the fuel pressure rail, obviously with return lines back to the tank.

Steve

my ph1 doesnt have a return on the fuel rail. but i have a eroor code of the fuel pump running all the time.

Williams20V-306BHP
Thanks Steve, yes i thought that would be the case, The pressure on the FPR increasing the fuel pressure is canceled out by the inlet pressure.

Ill try and get my hands on a ph1 system. My phase 1 172 only has a feed so ill have to hunt arround for the twin setup?

Flan