ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Gear Oil

Megane 225
Is Castrol SMX 75w85 ok to use? Or can anyone recommend a good fully synthetic oil?

Cheers,

Stuart

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Dont really matter what the rating is just as long as its good quality. I used fully sythetic 75/80w. Gears feel real smooh now.

I must warn you that it is a horrible job! Took me ages as the space you have is very limteted. I'd advise you use a tube or funel to get the oil in the box.

BMW M135i
I'd definetly stick to the proper viscosity of the oil the renault manual says, the boxes are bad enough without having the wrong oil in.

ValverInBits
Dont really matter what the rating is just as long as its good quality. I used fully sythetic 75/80w. Gears feel real smooh now.

I must warn you that it is a horrible job! Took me ages as the space you have is very limteted. I'd advise you use a tube or funel to get the oil in the box.

Not a horrible job. But a tube and a funnel is required. Gbox oil smells like what it's made from. (and it's made from Rotting sea life and sea weed - tasty)

I'd definetly stick to the proper viscosity of the oil the renault manual says, the boxes are bad enough without having the wrong oil in.

I'm with you 150% honestly use the correct stuff I'v used the following

80w GL5 - Useless far to thick old stuff was better!
ATF - Better but still ground into 3rd
Finally used some castrol 75-80w GL5 Great stuff gearbox smooth as your mothers brother and stopped the grinding too. :cool:

easy job you just need a hose and a funnel

BMW M135i
I'm using/have used Castrol 75w80 stuff, its mineral oil but seems to suite the renault boxes quite well.

BMW M135i
Yep thats the one i've used for ages. Because its an extreme pressure oil and all the additives in it as you say, it isn't the nicest smelling thing in the world. I made the mistake of leaving some used stuff in my boot before taking it up the tip the next morning, even though it was in sealed bottles I couldn't get rid of the smell for 2 weeks!

Also kills my skin and eats latex gloves too, awesome stuff :D. Wouldn't recommend drinking it though.

Lots of Alfas
I use the castrol stuff in all the Clios Ive had, change the oil every 2 years and cant fault it.

bmh, I spilt it in my garage and it stunk for about 3 months, it also ate through the painted floor!

Yep thats the one i've used for ages. Because its an extreme pressure oil and all the additives in it as you say, it isn't the nicest smelling thing in the world. I made the mistake of leaving some used stuff in my boot before taking it up the tip the next morning, even though it was in sealed bottles I couldn't get rid of the smell for 2 weeks!

Also kills my skin and eats latex gloves too, awesome stuff :D. Wouldn't recommend drinking it though.

I think its the sulphur in it if I recall correctly, If you remeber that stuff from school days its the yellow stuff that smells like s**t!!

What exactly does extreme pressure mean in an oil mean? An educated guess would be from my part is that it doesnt compress (ei can tolerate extreme pressures! hence the name). But I may we well off the mark lol

Its measured in two different ways matey (I believe)

hot and cold viscosities are different its hard to explain what i mean

you know you get like 5/40 engine oil

5 is the cold viscosity

and 40 is the hot visclosity its 2 different scales

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Where oilman he could explain it in good terms!!

BMW M135i

I think its the sulphur in it if I recall correctly, If you remeber that stuff from school days its the yellow stuff that smells like s**t!!

What exactly does extreme pressure mean in an oil mean? An educated guess would be from my part is that it doesnt compress (ei can tolerate extreme pressures! hence the name). But I may we well off the mark lol
An extreme pressure oil is one that will take being squashed and pulled apart without breaking down the molecular structure of it. IE in a gear oil its getting mashed between the gears and squeezed etc.

^Wicked matey you certainly know your s**t! Mechanic by trade?

Well you always know the answers to my questions ;)

172 cup
Is changing the gearbox oil actually necessary? Iv spoke to a few mechanics who say don’t bother, and I’m sure Renault don’t specify to do so?

Is changing the gearbox oil actually necessary? Iv spoke to a few mechanics who say don’t bother, and I’m sure Renault don’t specify to do so?

They don't specify but its good practice for long gearbox life and a nice gearchnage.

PH1 172 Sport

Most gear box oil absorbs oil etc. and wears over time so it is necessary to change the oil regulary. Renault don't specify a change but I would say it needs to be done at least every 36k.

172 cup
Gunna go for it this weekend, does anyone have any online guides to change the oil? Iv already got the funnel and hose ect...

the drain plug is under the bottom engine cover easy to spot

the fill plug is a butterfly thing whish is on the side attach the hose to the funnel and pour in til it overflows.

really simple job.