ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 goes bang

Clio 172
hi guys. last week I was testing my car on private land, I was in 3rd gear just touched the limiter about to change into 4th and bang the engine made a loud noise and cut out with the stop sign flashing. I dipped the clutch straight away and glided to a halt.

Today I started my inspection, the crank will manually turn over fine with no valves hitting piston noises although it turns over very freely. i took the engine breather plate off and noticed that a hydraulic lifter on the exhuast side has come off and is loose in the head. I've purchased the cam locking tool for further inspection but does anyone know why/how this happened? and wether there could be any further damage to the exhuast valves etc.

also I'm thinking of doing the 197 camshaft conversion. what's people's opinions on them?

Thanks in advance

Brad

Clio 172
yes timing and aux okay. replaced by previous owner. that's the first thing I checked! timing belt nice and tight so tensioner hasn't gone or anything like that. I was thinking maybe jumped a tooth but the ends of the cams both lay horizontal @ TDC

Clio 172
checked the plugs. nothing wrong with them and all the same colour. looked down the barrells at pistons' all look ok with no detonation to the faces. checked the oil dipstick for shards of metal but nothing.

did you have a graph for this mate? be nice too see
downloadfile.png

Bmw x6 & clio 172
Can't help on your issue but have recently had 197 cams fitted to an otherwise standard engine with filter and exhaust and it made 195hp and 171lb. Great cheap mod IMO.

Hi were did you get these done and what is the cost? thanks