ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 - keep it or sell it

VW Potato

Much to my delight, Ive paid off my Clio. Question is, what to do now? Im tired of the Clio to be honest. Its a lovely car but I made a mistake buying it by not thinking that much about the driving I actually do. This is mainly short journeys and I dont get to use the cars power or handling. Instead, I end up having to endure its bad points (hard ride, heavy steering, noise, laughable turning circle etc) more often than its good points.

That said, because Im in tight-wad mode, I dont fancy using the Clio as a deposit for a new car and taking out a loan to bridge the gap. Im bored of monthly repayments, so I can cross a new Golf GTI off the list. Im thinking of maybe selling it and buying a comfy barge for a grand or so (Saab 9000, for instance), and pocketing what profit remains in the Clio.

Anybody got any further suggestions as to what to do, or other options, or car suggestions?

cheers troops,

g

[Edited by Scudetto on 16 August 2005 at 11:39am]

Ziel Nurburgring

Keep it, buy a cheap run about and spunk your wad on engine and performance parts for it.

Uprate the suspension, brakes, roll cage, lose the interior, get it down to GDI etc and get them to do the magic to it and keep it for blasting around the back roads and tracks on a weekend.

VW Potato

Tom, lol, yes, Im not too sure how to respond to that!

An Alfa Sud and winter approaching... ;-)

Blink - that had crossed my mind as well... ;-)

g

[Edited by Scudetto on 16 August 2005 at 11:38am]

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Get a Saab 9000 2.3t carlsson. manual or auto; fighter jet with the wings removed. Actually makes you feel sick when you floor it, and gives you nose bleeds when you hit the stoppers!

VW Potato

badinvincible - do you mean a motor bike? if so, i cant ride one :-(

superfastdan - good choice! my dad had a 9000 2.3CSi (I think) and after hed breathed on it, it was ferocious in a straight line. I might start looking... ;-)

g

Mini Cooper S sport

If you never get to use the 172s power or handling because youre driving around town all the time, you might as well buy a Smart car!

Quote: Originally posted by Scudetto on 16 August 2005

badinvincible - do you mean a motor bike? if so, i cant ride one :-(

superfastdan - good choice! my dad had a 9000 2.3CSi (I think) and after hed breathed on it, it was ferocious in a straight line. I might start looking... ;-)

g
Aye, a motorbike.

The Saab will under/torque steer you into the nearest pavement by the way.

thing is, you could sell the clio and go and buy a sh*tburger car to knob about in, but the running costs will be far far higher than the relativley cheap to run clio. And, before you can say captain birdseye all youre money will have gone on high garage bills, sh*t fuel bills and the girlfriend.

Trust me I did the same last year - got a golf company car so sold the clio 172 for 6.5k

Then after about 2 days realised that i missed the fun of nailing around in a hot hatch. So spent 600 quid on a gte 16v (great fun) then about another £trillion grand or so on repairs and bodywork and had sod all of the revenue left.

so I then went and lashed out on another 172.

moral of the story - stick with what ya got if it aint causing massive probs. you always always always lose money on cars. :D

VW Potato

metallic black - at times, I wish I did.

bad invincible - yep, I know all about the Saabs propensity for torque steer and wheelspin. Traction control? theres no traction to control! :)

matt the cat - good points mate; need to choose carefully if I go down the banger route

POW - maybe we can come to some agreement ;-)

cheers tyall

g

2005 Impreza WRX STI

its a tough one m8 im in same boat. i never drive mine apart from the odd weekend journey! every now and again i need to do a 700 mile round trip and i dont like putting them miles on the clio! im tempted to buy a sh*tter! and one day just buy an evo or something for weekends!:devilish: why dont u buy j3neds mates clio sleeper? 2k for a 172 engined "normal clio";)