ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 New spark plug thread

Clio sport 172
So after blowing plug number 3, I feared the worst and it became reality: spark plug 3 won't tighten...
Anyone had experience with retreading??
Removing the head would require timing the engine right? Cause I have just had the belt done earlier this year 😭

TheCAB

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup 172
In an ideal world the head should be off to repair although you can actually successfully repair plug threads with the cylinder head in place if you know what you are doing, again not for the faint hearted or keyboard warriors.

In the long term if using helicoils as the repair they can tend to work their way out when future revisiting and undoing fixing. Had plenty of instances of this happening on strip downs where helicoils have been used in the past to repair threads. So if refitting spark plug with a helicoil repair do not "swing" on the tommy bar to tighten, more so tighten it down then just nip it up.

If I had to take a Clio head off though to repair the plug thread I would scrap it and fit a S/H one, much better and cost effective solution.

I always thought of the helicoils as a bit of a make do and mend repair, although they can be long lasting if you insert, tighten fixing and don't ever go near it again.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Id probably use a time sert instead of a helicoil. As above can be done in situ but ultimately head off is best.

If your not keen on doing it give this fella a call. He drilled out a glowplug for me and done a fantastic job. He does stuff like this all day long.