ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 ph1 turbo recommended gearbox

172 phase 1
So I am aware that this is a well discussed matter on this community. But I want to make things clear...
I have or will soon have the turbo kit 240hp on my 172 ph1.
Now since the gears are short as is I should probably use the DCI gearbox.
I wont be using my old gearbox.
Now my question is this:
I think the jc5-128 is a perfect candidate for the turbo clio 172 ph1
By my knowledge it's most commonly found in the clio 1.5 dci
It's got longer 1st and 2nd gears and final driver if im not mistaken but for a turbo clio is better right?
Is the jc5 128 REALLY perfect for this project ?
As i don't want to buy a gearbox and not be satisfied with my choice.

P.S.
I will give it more power as I am planning to install forged pistons aswell...

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Wrong, 089 in your car currently is longer geared than a 129 from the later cup cars. DCI I am not sure on in all honesty but 240 is modest really so the stock box with a quiafe or equivalent will be perfect

172 phase 1
Wrong, 089 in your car currently is longer geared than a 129 from the later cup cars. DCI I am not sure on in all honesty but 240 is modest really so the stock box with a quiafe or equivalent will be perfect
Well u see the problem is i don't have the original box as i bought it without one...
I have a jc5 084 with longer gears and i wont be using it as it is in a bad condition

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green1.2
The dci boxes have shite ratios and are also no stronger than the 129.

It’s the torque that kills the jc5 unfortunately. The only way to not kill them is run decent oil and change it regularly.

The only potential option in terms of jc5 is to get the 089. They have taper bearings on the input shaft and the mainshaft and imo, make the box a bit more resistant to flex/twist.

I’d imagine the mainshaft bearing is the cause of your noise as well. They suffer the most wear/abuse in the jc5’s. And the worse they get, the more chance you have of it eating through the bellhousing and losing your oil.

Final option is to fit the VAG box, but you need custom flywheel, bellhousing adapter, box and mounts. Bit of faff with the selector lever as they’re cable operated.

If you can get your jc5 out I can have a look at sorting it mate 👍🏻