ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Phase 1 - Barn find

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Evening all,

Been a long day today of routing the loom. Took the thing out over a year ago now so it's been a real minefield putting it back in but we are there now! Definitely not as neat as I would like but all brackets are screwed into their relevant holes so I'm assuming that's where everything goes.
20220215_185758.jpg

Top aircon pipe on, also connected the hoses to the heater matrix pipes and plumbed in the bottom engine hose and the thermostat hose. Properly unhappy with the state of the water hoses so a silicone kit is in order, but just getting it on the road first. Got a new aircon rad that arrived today to be fitted tomorrow 🤞 along with a new radiator and brackets.
20220215_185814.jpg

Only outlier I have now is a single loop connector at the back of the engine where the starter is, I've put the starter live on already. It's on the same branch of plugs as the two plugs for the lambadas 🤔
Massive thanks to @Big_Steve_T, been studying your pictures from your RB resto and where all your wiring went, would have been a much longer day otherwise.
This is a sight I haven't seen for some time 😳
20220215_185731.jpg

Fingers crossed the front end will be on tomorrow.
Thanks for reading.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Evening all,

Properly long slog of a day today, really beginning to deflate, seems like one step forward yields 3 back, but it's getting there now.

Ferodo ds3500 pads in with brembo HC discs courtesy of @Coops Mk1 's shed 😅 discs have been on for a while now so are starting to gather a bit of surface.
20220216_171554.jpg

Got both front back together, Renault tie rods and rack ends, wish ones with power flex black bushes, new track rods, new cup struts and new top mounts and bearings. H&r springs are looking a touch worse for wear but they will do for now! Rebuilt calipers and sliders fitted, braided line connected to the new copper-zinc brake lines. Ready to go back on wheels.
20220216_172042.jpg

20220216_172027.jpg

Cheeky washable filter chucked in.
20220216_172352.jpg

Finished wiring the engine in and started it up on squirty go juice, with no exhaust.....scared the garage cat out, but it runs 🥳 because I decided to chop the end of my left thumb off I physically dont have the dexterity to hold the cat in place and screw on the little 8mm nuts, so I'm going to have to go and make friends with a two thumbed person.
20220216_175332.jpg

Got excited then and bolted a wing on.
20220216_180507.jpg

Gave it an eye 👀
20220216_181228.jpg

Got to wait until tomorrow to finish the front off as the rad I purchased 4 eons ago is twice as wide as the clio one. So one on order for tomorrow, then fingers crossed I can get the front end on and on the floor 🤞

Left to do is
- exhaust
- braided lines at the rear
- rear calipers
- bumpers
- bonnet
- burnouts
- oh and a windscreen

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Evening all, been another sh*te day.

Gearbox filled with the proper stuff, smells fooking awful🤮
20220217_153201.jpg

New EIS Rad curtousey of Europarts with a new air con rad.
20220217_165241.jpg

Gave it some eyes and wings.
20220217_173232.jpg

20220217_173243.jpg

20220217_173259.jpg

Bumpers on!
20220217_181911.jpg

New Renault Foggies
20220217_181903.jpg

20220217_181919.jpg

Et voila. Finished front end.
20220217_190215.jpg

20220217_190223.jpg

Decided to try my luck and pin the fuel pump with little terminals as I can't get a replacement plug until later in the month. Got nowt! Now it won't start on go go juice so hoping I've not backfed the ecu and fried it, more investigation to be had tomorrow 🤔

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Evening all,

No pictures this evening but am going to put this up for anyone potentially having similar issues. Been tearing my hair out trying to figure out why it won't start, cranks over freely, immobiliser light goes out but no spark. All the more frustrating as I've had it going on squirty juice. Got 12 at the pump and coil pack but on cranking drops to 6v, similar story at the ecu pins. Ends up being the three plugs in the fusebox, upon pulling them out they had gone green with oxidation, a bit of a polish up with emery tape and some contact cleaner, jobs a goodun! Fires fire crank happy days.
20220215_170728.jpg

Them's be the ones!

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Evening all,

Started and bled the water system today, plumbed in the year brake lines and bolted the cat in place.
20220219_161137.jpg

Screenshot_20220219-171134_Video Player.jpg

Sweet as a nut 👌

Left to do now is bleed the brake system and replace rear right abs sensor as it appears to be fooked.
Source a dogbone mount.
Put rear bumper and skirts on.
Custom fab a centre pipe for the exhaust as the one I have doesn't fit right.
Resolder airbag connector under the seats.

Jobs a good un!

Just been absolutely shafted by Adrian flux on my camper van insurance so it won't see the road for a month or so, but still, its basically done.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Afternoon all,

Been doing some finishing jobs today, only had an hour or two with it being Sunday.
Bled all the brakes through the ABS pump on the Autel. Pedals got a lovely feel now, only problem I've got is a faulty rear right wheel speed sensor which after sitting for so long I'll chalk up to a win, may just want a clean up on the contact points 🤞
20220220_140501.jpg

Handbrake cables coming midweek and gearbox stabiliser the same. Will get a custom exhaust made up at some point when I get an hour. Booked in for MOT next Monday 😄

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Evening all,

Dogbone came today, thought whilst I was messing under there I would take a quick picture before the undertray goes on. Rather pleased with the outcome, looks tidy enough.
Handbrake cables are en route for Friday, then It's just exhaust and rear abs sensor.
20220223_173009.jpg

Big puddle is brake fluid, not going to explain why it's there, I will just admit to having a mong moment....😅

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Evening all,

Rear bumper now fitted, can't wait to get it out and washed. There is a solid few mm of dust all over the car it looks awful!
20220225_153249.jpg

Also fitted my rear exhaust mount, underside is still looking fantastic 👌
Had three separate auto factors bring handbrake cables now and all have been wrong, so original ones have gone back on for now.
20220225_153319.jpg

That's all! Just been faffing today in between other things, need to get the tig out and make a sleeve for the exhaust. Mondays MOT has been scrapped, probably later in the week now as I'm busy with other projects 😁

Kenich.

ClioSport Club Member
  172 PH1
Great work, must be good coming towards the end now.

I need a nice subframe in my life!

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Great work, must be good coming towards the end now.

I need a nice subframe in my life!
Cheers mate 😁
I'm fast approaching completion, just balancing time between this and my campervan, unfortunately the camper has taken a slight priority at the moment.

Well worth doing, just ends up being a pain of a job if the captive nut cages start to spin. Only thing is I'm slightly scared to take it on the road and get dirt on it 🤦‍♀️

Rb 182
Nice little write up. Good to see another being saved.

Your front caliper carriers are on the wrong side though, easy mistake to make.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Nice little write up. Good to see another being saved.

Your front caliper carriers are on the wrong side though, easy mistake to make.
Cheers mate, didn't know the carriers were on wrong, might explain the brake pedal having a slightly clunk at the top 🤔

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Outside today with year's worth of dust still present 😅
Daren't even touch the paint until I have a jetwash to hand.
Went for pre-mot today, only failed on a few trivial items, the cracked glass and lack of handbrake cable being one but other than that just a few notes pointing to a few insecure braided brake hoses, stuck on brake lights (assuming the pedal switch) and a headlamp aim being to low. Result in my book!
20220323_113529.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I don't mate I'm afraid, had to use my last good spare for the daily other week

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Slight update:

Got it home as it was getting in the way at the garage. On the few miles drive home it felt like I was driving with my foot on the brake. Both rear calipers have seized up, I'm assuming the handbrake mechanism is stuck on inside as the calipers have new seals! The discs felt like id done a few laps on track, fronts were also suspectly hot so I'm wondering if the big redd rebuild kit isn't quite as good as I thought 🤷‍♀️
Either way, knocked the hot spot off the disc to avoid cracking and am pricing up new calipers all around just to be safe.
Until next pay day!

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Instead of sorting my calipers out I decided to make a start at the paint.
Wash, a clay followed by autbrite renew and then autobrite chocolate glaze. Still wants running over with the DA but for now I'm quite pleased 😁
20220410_145917.jpg

20220410_162652.jpg

20220410_162740.jpg
20220410_162709.jpg
20220410_162718.jpg
20220410_162629.jpg

Made a little list as I've gone around the car. After I've sorted the calipers there is left to do;
- new engine mount
- New water hoses and clamps
- new PS reservoir
- refit injector cover once I've found the nuts
- sill covers to go on
- arch liners and under tray to go back on
Then it's just pretty bits like painting interior trim, putting a nicer gearknob on, may wrap the roof in glossy carbon 🤷‍♀️

Playing race cars the next few months so I'm not going to be doing anything in any sort of hurry 😄
20220322_111545.jpg