ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 phase 1 'w'

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
hi everyone.

as most of you know i bought a clio sport the other day so im just after some facts about the car. ive bought the car with a slipped timing belt, so plenty of things to do to it, so ill get tidy project thread up

its a silver 'w' reg sport.

it has an aluminium bonnet. i was told this is only on some of them?
can someone shed some light?

also was it the michelin exalto tyres that were designed for the sport?

gez :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The early ph1 came with the alu bonnet. The exalto wasn't around when the ph1 was released (I think!).
No tyre was designed for the RS, that was marketing twaddle.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
ok thank you.

and also are there any numbers on the 172 head to identify it? would like to know for when i have a look at another one.
got to get to know the renault side of things,

320d
If it has the alu bonnet then it should have the shift light too. Mine has both. For some reason Renault decided they would give up with these things after a while.

Ph1 172.
If it has the alu bonnet then it should have the shift light too. Mine has both. For some reason Renault decided they would give up with these things after a while.

I have a aluminium bonnet on my ph1 however i have never noticed any shift light, maybe i am blind,

Ph1
Loads of different variations but in general, the early ones came with the alloy bonnet and shift light.

Shift light was discontinued on the 2001 (not sure what month) model of ph1.

A circular was sent out to dealers explaining it.

Meg 230 R26 F1
Loads of different variations but in general, the early ones came with the alloy bonnet and shift light.

Shift light was discontinued on the 2001 (not sure what month) model of ph1.

A circular was sent out to dealers explaining it.

i have a 2000 'x' ph1 172 and haven't noticed a shift light? where is this to be found?

and is there any way of finding out if you have a lightweight bonnet? sticker, badge etc...dont fancy taking it off to weigh it

Ph1 172.
i have a 2000 'x' ph1 172 and haven't noticed a shift light? where is this to be found?

and is there any way of finding out if you have a lightweight bonnet? sticker, badge etc...dont fancy taking it off to weigh it

The shift light is to the left of the rev counter, its a green light in the the shape of a gear stick. As somebody said earlier it will come on briefly when you start the car up.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German

yes, pop the bonnet and lift it up, it should feel as light as aluminium.

Titanium 182
Probably had a massive front ender in its life and been replaced with a copy part.

;)

I knew someone was going to say that :dapprove:

Ah well it drives perfect and cost me peanuts so I'm not right bothered if it has or hasn't ! :rasp:

Meg 230 R26 F1
Not sure the rule of early ph1's having both these is that accurate...i have neither

pics of shift light please if anyone has any

Meg 230 R26 F1
i have the gear stick light symbol in the dash, but it doesnt light before the car hits the rev limiter...broken me thinks??? how do i fix it?

Vee 6
Anybody know the weight difference between the two ?

I have a chance of one but it's the wrong colour.

Need to know if the cost of painting will be really worth it.

172 ph1
mine has both couldnt believe how light the bonnet was when i first got it! had to read into it after havin an 02 plate seat ibiza diesel which was like a tank lol the bonnet was heavier than the clio itself!

my shift light has only come on when revving at the lights but i havent actually hit the limiter while driving dont normally go past about 6....normally find ive proved my point by 5500 lol.....