ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 phase 2 Vs Mini Cooper S

Clio 172 Phase 2
I've had both..traded the mini in for a 172. In the books it says the 172 is faster, but i'm not too sure, the mini seems to be slightly faster with the surpercharger and the six speed box.

has anyone raced a cooper s in a 172??

need to find out which is quicker as my friend has just brought a cooper s.

VaVa
172 is faster, but power delivery has a lot to do with it. MCS prob feels a bit faster.

On the road, there's proabaly not much in it.

Clio 172 Phase 2
the funny thing is...when i had the cooper s it would easily pull straight to 130 with no lag, but in my clio it won't go past 130, is there something wrong with my car or are all 172's like this.

i agree the 0-60 times are similiar, but i think in the top end the mini would win?!!

Focus ST
The 172 should be slightly faster 0-60, 0-100, 0-terminal. Relax...you've got the slightly quicker car. The Cooper S probably feels faster due to the low down torque, which is the same reason diesels feel quick.

Your 172 should be good for nearly 140mph, which on the speedo would probably be something like 145+. If yours is only pulling an indicated 130 then that doesn't sounds right to me.

Clio 172 Phase 2
i did have three pretty big lads in the car, would this make a difference to reaching that 140??

plus the handbrake and stop light keeps flashining, found out its new brake pads time.

how can i get the car checked out, renault said they couldn;t do anything when i told them the car won't got past 130, they said it was dangerous for their technicians.

any ideas?

PMSL, are you for real mate? i'd have paid to see you say that to them! quality

for the record, yes, 3 lads in a car will have a massive impact on your cars performance... for example, I only stay level with my mates Impreza with 3 in my car (him in his own), but on my own leave it for dead. If you get a decat it's effectively like driving without the weight of the driver. weight is the biggest killer for NA cars performance i've found... well, that and putting a power sapping open IK on...

VaVa
LMFAO!!!! You actually told them it wouldn't go over 130??!! PMSL!!!!

Next time you try and claim on the waranty, they'll void it because you've treated your car with neglect!!

Clio 172 Phase 2
yes, i was going to show him on the motorway, but he said he cannot risk himself or anyone of their technicians to be going that fast!!!

serious?? they can't do that, it states a top speed of 138 so why can't i take it to the max??

Clio 172 Phase 2
yes, my old mini was the 163 bhp version, on the books its says 7.4 seconds 0-60 and the newer ones have 170bhp with a 0-60 of 7.2

i still reckon it has something to do with the gearing because the MCS has a 6 speed box and each gear is longer than on the 172

Remapped derv Golf
Had a standard early MCS in my Cup. Didn't didn't have a problem with it. 172 should be a bit quicker than an out-of-the-box S.

Clio 172 Phase 2
no its a UK spec car, straight from Renault UK, i'm the second owner, definately not an import. Its just strange that on the speedo it won't go past 130

Clio v6
In the UK I took mine to 70. Elsewhere I took mine to 145 but of course thats not a real figure.

Clio 172 Phase 2
true, but people are losing so much money on the cooper s now, i lost 5K in 10 months, so that why i brought the 172 because its pretty cheap for the power.

my friend has a honda civic VTI 1.6, i had to take it up to 120 before i caught up with him, the civic is only 160 bhp, think there might be something wrong with my car. Think i'm gonna take one of Renault technicians on a private air base and show them it cannot got past 130

Mini's are poop, end of. I used to work for a BMW main dealer so have plenty of 1st hand experience with the over-priced tat. Heavier and less power than a 172, i'd say its all perception that you think its faster.

VaVa
near as damn it.

I would say I've raced an MCS,but sadly racing tales aren't allowed on this forum.

I did happen to be going in the same direction as one once, both of us apparently in a rush to get somewhere and I just so happened to overtake him.

Mini does feel quicker due to more torque, on paper there very very close, would really come down to the driver at the end of the day.

As for the 130 top speed, if your doing those speeds on roads then your being really really reckless, if your racing at those speeds on UK roads, let me know where and when so I can avoid them!

Track days and Santa Pod are there for racing and seeing what your car can do, we all speed but once you get over the ton on a road your asking for trouble imho.

172 on paper does have the legs on a Mini but only slightly.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
My old Cavalier Ecotec was on a par with a Cooper S. That was only 136bhp. The Mini may have been driven by a fairy but the Cavalier was really well geared. I would say a well driven one may have been a different story though.
I don't think a Mini could stick with a Clio. Book figures for the Clio are already faster than the Mini, but as most people on here know, they are quite pessimistic and a well driven Clio is capable of a sub 7 secs to 60 time.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
ive had a lil ruh with one, it was no trouble, guy even gave me a lil nod, he said quick that! lol guy was a nerd

GRAND PRIX CLIO
172 dosent that stand for how much bhp the clio 172 has got? god i had an old J REG 18.16v clio that would go up to 135mph and that was standard!!.My new GRAN PRIX (N reg) hits 150 and sits at 130 no probs!! BEST STICKING TO THE OLD ONES !!

Nimbus Clio 197
im not having a pop there BTW, just sounds like a very high top speed for that car. my calibra V6 will hit 155mph and thats only because the gears are ludicrously long (ie. 110mph in 3rd!)

Clio 182
haribo8 said:
possibly, would like to hear if anyone has raced a cooper s against a 172

That's not gonna tell you much, years ago I "raced" my 8v Fiat Punto 1.6 against a R5GTT and despite being three up left them for dust.
If the bloke had known when to change gear etc he should've embarrassed me.