ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 phase 2 Vs Mini Cooper S

Clio 182
grizzlygrowler said:
J REG 18.16v clio that would go up to 135mph and that was standard!!.My new GRAN PRIX (N reg) hits 150 and sits at 130 no probs!! BEST STICKING TO THE OLD ONES !!

Who really cares about top speed !?
Unless you're on a track it means nothing.
The original Lotus Elise had a top speed of 118mph.

GRAND PRIX CLIO
YEP 155 mph !!! not saying thats a high no but honestly m8 ud av 2 be in the fu**** its awsome!!!! oh the car has had a few mods by HILLPOWER !!

Nimbus Clio 197
very true 45, top speed is never usually gonna be an important factor in a cars performance, unless u wanna lose your licence! lol

45six182 - Is that the speedo speed as they cna be a bit out plus I've seen my 2.0 tunned Williams hitting 145 on the speedo which worked out to be ~135 thast was flat out.
172's can, with enough road and slightly downhill hit the limiter in 5th as proved by some members in Germany.
I'd say a 172/mini should be about even maybe the 172 having a slight edge but its down to driver ability to change up at the right time and quick.

Ph1
haribo8 said:
yes, i was going to show him on the motorway, but he said he cannot risk himself or anyone of their technicians to be going that fast!!!

serious?? they can't do that, it states a top speed of 138 so why can't i take it to the max??

Bet they'll rag it to a 3 figure speed when there out testing it on there own !! hahaha

They certainly rag mine cos my motor was in at the garage a while back and my mate who works up the road saw them fly past his work at break neck speeds !! Also i was speaking to a Reno mechanic where i take mine in a night club and he reckoned i had one of the ''faster'' 172's. How did he know that i wonder ? lol

Are you running different sized rims by any chance ??? That would make a big difference to speedo readings.

Always makes me laugh when you get the pub talk of ''oh my 1.2 did 120 the other week'' ......yeah right

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
Clio RS has 169 bhp. Mine got 162 on RR when i got it, now it's probably putting out slighlty more, since the clutch was in pretty bad shape at that time and i've had it replaced.

Sometimes it has a hard time reaching the promised 220 kph, top speed varies from 210-220, it blasts to 200, but is quite a slouch form there on. An when it's on, it takes just a slight uphill, it will almost imediatly loose speed.

It sits on 16" wheels and 205 wide tires, so that might has something to do with it.

The problem with the mk1 is also it's looong 5th gear. It's more or less a cruising gear, but in theory you can take it to 250 kph. In theory. :)

E91 M Sport
lagerlout1 said:
LMFAO!!!! You actually told them it wouldn't go over 130??!! PMSL!!!!

Next time you try and claim on the waranty, they'll void it because you've treated your car with neglect!!

Renault claim their model will reach 140+mph, and if laws allow (seperate issue, I agree!) then you can drive it that quick. If the engine blows up, Renault must honour the warranty. If you strapped a jet-engine to the back, they might not be as willing...

megane coupe F7R
Id say the 172 would just have the legs on a cooper s. Not by much though as i can stick with a cooper s in the valver to just over a ton and a 172 pulls about 3 car lengths to a ton.

ford orion rs turbo
put my 172cup on the rollers at red dot racing and it had 144.8bhp at 6500rpm at the wheels and 160bhp at the fly wheel. the bloke said he has done loads of 172s and never had one with more than 165bhp at the fly wheel. i was a bit gutted like.

E91 M Sport
Don't worry mate, almost all manufactures power figures are measured in perfect conditions, with perfect engines and 100+ ron fuel....

...most peoples cars don't make the claimed output on the rollers (when stock).

Scirocco GT 210
cliotrophy364 said:
put my 172cup on the rollers at red dot racing and it had 144.8bhp at 6500rpm at the wheels and 160bhp at the fly wheel. the bloke said he has done loads of 172s and never had one with more than 165bhp at the fly wheel. i was a bit gutted like.

I'm not surprised no one has got over 165bhp there. The way they work out flywheel bhp is well dodgy!

I mean 144.8 at the wheels isn't 160 at the fly.....

for comparison 134whp was 177bhp @ fly on mini sport rollers... the wheel figure is fairly accurate... flywheel results are to be taken with a pinch of salt, varies EVERYWHERE you go... this is why you should only ever use 1 rolling road... lol

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Anyone else hear about the bloke in Germany sued Porsche and won as the car couldnt reach the quoted top speed.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
i dont think your supposed to be posting things like that

Last edited by a moderator:
  insignia
Jeremy Clarkson says he plays GT4 and can honestly say,each and every car is so realistic in terms of performance/handling its spot on.His only complaint was after driving the m3 on the game saying the brakes felt softer.

Now if your like me you will have already raced the civics type r and the mini cooper and the clio sport.

And just like in real life.The clio pulls from the mini,not by much,but its faster.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
45six182 said:
That's not gonna tell you much, years ago I "raced" my 8v Fiat Punto 1.6 against a R5GTT and despite being three up left them for dust.
If the bloke had known when to change gear etc he should've embarrassed me.

Jeezuz m8 - that R5 Tubby driver was either asleep or couldn't select any higher gear than 2nd. It wasn't Chris (Chris & Nic) by any chance??? :clown:

I owned the same 1.6 8v Sporting and that thing would get battered to a pulp against an R5GTT. Add two other passengers with you and clearly the other bloke wasn't trying or his car was fooked.

I had to wait until swapping that for a Punto GT until the Punto vs R5GTT performance was evenly matched. Even then, the much lighter R5GTT could gain the upper hand easily, despite being down on power...

D.

Clio V6
This post is getting stupid, there's a lot of crap being spoken by some of these threads, a lot of tall stories, i'd love to see people back up. Top of that list is grizzlygrowler 'sitting' at 130 and every now and then hitting 150!!

Chopper, dont like it dont read it and bother posting then mate. FYI A diesel gearbox would allow you to 'cruise' at 130mph in 4th gear if it had the power, so it really does depend on the setup and bearing in mind how many people mod their cars to a crazy amount you cant discount it.

Nippy white cup
Darren S said:
Jeezuz m8 - that R5 Tubby driver was either asleep or couldn't select any higher gear than 2nd. It wasn't Chris (Chris & Nic) by any chance??? :clown:

I owned the same 1.6 8v Sporting and that thing would get battered to a pulp against an R5GTT. Add two other passengers with you and clearly the other bloke wasn't trying or his car was fooked.

I had to wait until swapping that for a Punto GT until the Punto vs R5GTT performance was evenly matched. Even then, the much lighter R5GTT could gain the upper hand easily, despite being down on power...

D.

Lol defo wasn`t me m8 (unless I didn`t even see the `race` lol) I can safely say that if the 5 was running right and he was racing he would have dissappeared into the distance pretty sharpish

Chris

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chris n`nic said:
Lol defo wasn`t me m8 (unless I didn`t even see the `race` lol) I can safely say that if the 5 was running right and he was racing he would have dissappeared into the distance pretty sharpish

Chris

Agreed. :approve:

D.

Street Triple R
agreed this thread is getting daft,

who cares about top speed anyway?! theres no fun to be had sitting at top speed on a motorway, if you wanted cars with high top speeds then buy a big saloon car in the first place or something, not a little clio

Back on topic:
Clio vs MCS, both are great fun, both have good and bad points, both handle great, its not a competition, just enjoy whatever youve got