ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 short shift

ph1 black 172
Hi all,

i did have a link to one i found on ebay.only £45 made by a machine shop

i am wanting to know if anyone have a short shift fitted(smaller shift link) and if they are any good?

thanks

RB 182 Cup
i had a short shift stick and shorter pin on my 1.4, same thing. The throw is reduced loads and is well worth it! Full throttle gear changes all day long :)

S6302735.jpg

ph1 black 172
yeah but i dont want to touch the gear stick end,

just the pin in the gearbox. and its a 172 so quite a short shift anyway?

thanks

RB 182 Cup
the pin is about an inch shorter, makes the throw feel tighter and definitely shorter so should make the standard stick have a shorter throw.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
does sound interesting.

Undercuts the ktec price a real lot.

Some one message the seller for a group buy? I would but my ebays locked, didnt pay my fees..

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
do not use them both, pin + lever, too much stress on the gearbox. JC-5 is certainly made out of cheese.

ph1 black 172
do not use them both, pin + lever, too much stress on the gearbox. JC-5 is certainly made out of cheese.

how? i guess you may have to use a little more force to put into gear but as its an easy fit i cant really see a problem.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I had the B&M on my old mk2 clio and I hate being back on standard gearshift now in my 172, in comparison it feels like pudding, horrible.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
How do these work?

I am very tempted to get one if they improve the gear change but would like to know a little more about them.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
How do these work?

I am very tempted to get one if they improve the gear change but would like to know a little more about them.

It's quite simple: a short shifter has different dimension compared to the original gear lever and gear linkage and this causes different ratio in the movement (at the gear lever and the small gear linkage).

I have a DIY short shifter conversion kit for Clio Williams and Clio Mk II, which looks like the genuine gear lever but gives reduced movement (25 or 30 percent depending on which small gear linkage is used):

So, the different dimension and ratio at the gear lever (the gear lever of the short shifter kit is shorter):

OEM_and_shorter.jpg

(CAD drawing)

The small gear linkage:

qss.jpg

Fitted into my Williams:

Williams_short_shifter_small.jpg

The conversion kit for Clio Mk 2:

clioII_SS.jpg

And finally a video:

http://www.dp-automotive.hu/DPA_SS_kits.wmv

The first scene is the genuine gear lever, the 2nd one is 25% type, the 3rd scene the 30% type and the 'layered' scene is the direct comparison between the the 25 and 30% versions - red video layer: 30% version, normal video layer: 25% version).

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I used the ktec one and it was aweful! Tight as f**k. Proper w**k. 197 throw is where its at tbh

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
OEM_and_shorter.jpg

So in theory its pretty simple then. When fitted to the car does the very lowest part of the whole system have to be at the same level for both normal and the short shift, so that the angles are the same? Like in this drawing. (hope this makes sense)

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
No need to be at the same level of the very lowest part of the whole system / gear lever but suggested because if the position of the gearlinkage (which connects the gear lever with the small gear linkage / tie-bar) changes it may cause problems (gearlinkage may hit the ARB, cat, heatshield or the lift of the gearbox selector arm may be different which may cause difficulties in selecting reverse or 5th gear etc.)
Let's take apart the gear lever into two pieces: above the ball joint and under the ball joint.

1:If you lengthen the gearstick under the ball joint (but it's unvaried above the ball joint) the shift throw will be reduced (at the gearknob). In this situation if you shorten the gearstick above the ball joint the shift throw reduction will be higher.

2, If you shorten the gearstick above the ball joint (but no modify the lenght of the gearstick under the ball joint), the shift throw will be reduced. (this situation is in the CAD drawing because the OEM gear lever was used in the drawing).

The small gear linkage has similar effect: if you decrease the distance between its small ball and the bore of the gearlinkage connection, the shift throw will be reduced.

The angle may be different. It has no effect in shift throw reduction but you must pay attention for the movement of the reverse-lock sleeve bottom (because in the worst case you won't be able to select reverse). A wrong angle may cause an uncomfortable position in some gears. For example the gearknob will be too close to you in 2nd or 4th gear or on the other hand, it will be too far in 1st.

In this CAD drawing the angles are identical.

(The angle is important in that case if you lenghten the gear lever above the ball joint... may cause problems if the 5th is too far from me (uncomfortable - left hand drive). Now I'm using a 'Fast Road Shifter' (also designed by me) in my Williams which is lenghtened by 35 mm (compared to the genuine gear lever) but moves in the same throw lenght as the genuine one and the 'shift force' (the force to select gears) is easily adjustable in wide range from the driverseat. 2 pics:

Williams_FRS_1_small.jpg

Williams_FRS_adjusting_small.jpg

I love it because the gearknob is closer to the steering wheel and does not move in a longer way and I can determine the shift force from sloppy/very easy to stiff(er).

Last edited:

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Wow, thank you for such a detailed and knowledgable explanation. I like the idea of keeping everthing about the ball joint the same (altough a new gear knob is needed) but reducing the throw with a shorter linkage part, which i think is waht the part at the begining of this thread is doing!!

ph1 black 172
Wow, thank you for such a detailed and knowledgable explanation. I like the idea of keeping everthing about the ball joint the same (altough a new gear knob is needed) but reducing the throw with a shorter linkage part, which i think is waht the part at the begining of this thread is doing!!

yup your right.... thats why i bought the one from willy lover

Clio 172
No need to be at the same level of the very lowest part of the whole system / gear lever but suggested because if the position of the gearlinkage (which connects the gear lever with the small gear linkage / tie-bar) changes it may cause problems (gearlinkage may hit the ARB, cat, heatshield or the lift of the gearbox selector arm may be different which may cause difficulties in selecting reverse or 5th gear etc.)
Let's take apart the gear lever into two pieces: above the ball joint and under the ball joint.

1:If you lengthen the gearstick under the ball joint (but it's unvaried above the ball joint) the shift throw will be reduced (at the gearknob). In this situation if you shorten the gearstick above the ball joint the shift throw reduction will be higher.

2, If you shorten the gearstick above the ball joint (but no modify the lenght of the gearstick under the ball joint), the shift throw will be reduced. (this situation is in the CAD drawing because the OEM gear lever was used in the drawing).

The small gear linkage has similar effect: if you decrease the distance between its small ball and the bore of the gearlinkage connection, the shift throw will be reduced.

The angle may be different. It has no effect in shift throw reduction but you must pay attention for the movement of the reverse-lock sleeve bottom (because in the worst case you won't be able to select reverse). A wrong angle may cause an uncomfortable position in some gears. For example the gearknob will be too close to you in 2nd or 4th gear or on the other hand, it will be too far in 1st.

In this CAD drawing the angles are identical.

(The angle is important in that case if you lenghten the gear lever above the ball joint... may cause problems if the 5th is too far from me (uncomfortable - left hand drive). Now I'm using a 'Fast Road Shifter' (also designed by me) in my Williams which is lenghtened by 35 mm (compared to the genuine gear lever) but moves in the same throw lenght as the genuine one and the 'shift force' (the force to select gears) is easily adjustable in wide range from the driverseat. 2 pics:

Williams_FRS_1_small.jpg

Williams_FRS_adjusting_small.jpg

I love it because the gearknob is closer to the steering wheel and does not move in a longer way and I can determine the shift force from sloppy/very easy to stiff(er).

Ah ha excatly what i'm looking for an extended lever with short shift, Can you make one for the Phase 1 172? I be willing to purchase one if you can.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Ah ha excatly what i'm looking for an extended lever with short shift, Can you make one for the Phase 1 172? I be willing to purchase one if you can.

I have a spare set of extended gear lever. Although it's developed for Clio Mk 1, but the whole Clio MK 2 gear linkage (including gear lever and gear lever housing ) is very similar to the Clio MK1, therefore I think it would fit well in your Clio. Please drop a PM for details.

182 cup
I fitted the short shift link today and it feels awesome!! It takes a bit of getting used to as it is noticably shorter but feels solid and obviously no problems with reverse gears as there are with the lever replacement systems. Highly recommended mod. There are those who say the 182 gearbox doesnt like to b rushed anymore than std, I havent found any issues and it loves punching thru the gears!!

172 cup
I fitted one today and it's surprising how much a difference it makes! I was sceptical about the 30% reduction in 3rd to 4th, but it certainly makes a noticeable difference... roughly an inch shorter when in 3rd (by judgement only)!

Definitely worth it... although I had to get it all adjusted after fitting, as you had to lift the reverse 'jobby' to get it in first!

Now its all sorted it's spot on, would certainly recommend it

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
The product Ktec sell is a copy of this the original product and isnt half as good from what im read, the one is ebay is bound to be awful:

http://www.mbcarperformance.com/cat...=2930&osCsid=ebfd29e213adc0fcff1cce13b31699a0

This is really good product, ive had it fitted for over 2 years with no issues where as people with the Ktec version find its very stif and generally awful.

My original review of the product:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=309923&highlight=short+shifter+review

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Had the B&M fitted on my PH1 and have to agree... standard just feels horrible now!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Hmmmmmm Been thinking about one of these. Not the crappy ktec one that you need peperami's biceps to use, but the B&M. Does it keep the o.e knob?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Hmmmmmm Been thinking about one of these. Not the crappy ktec one that you need peperami's biceps to use, but the B&M. Does it keep the o.e knob?

See my post above, the shifter is epic, Ktecs one is a cheap rip off off it and kinda a pisstake that they even stock it, the one ive listed was designed from scratch nad ive been using for 2 years like a dream!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have been on the verge of ordering one of these for a while but tbh, the Renault Gearbox doesn't like being rushed at the best of times so a short shifter is onlt going to shorten its lifespan imo!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I have been on the verge of ordering one of these for a while but tbh, the Renault Gearbox doesn't like being rushed at the best of times so a short shifter is onlt going to shorten its lifespan imo!

Depends how much of a c**t you drive like I guess? I know people to go through gearboxs quicker than me and ive been running this shifter for years!

320d
I'd of liked one in my 172 but I don't think a 1*2's box is up to the quick shifts. Gearchange is a big let down on the 1*2's unfortunately.