ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 speedo issue

Clio 172; Megane 1.6
Hi,

I have recently bought a mk2 phase 2 renaultsport clio 172 (not the cup). It has had a new engine in the last 10000 miles, and a stainless steel exhaust, everything else is standard.

I only drove it a couple of times until recently, and i have noticed that the speedo doesnt work at all! the needle doesn't move even when switching on.

Is this common or does it point to something crazy?

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
ive a Ph1 172, when my speedo stopped it was the sendor ontop of the gearbox, tucked down my the manifold.

Clio 172; Megane 1.6
Ok, having had a better look at the clio, couple of other issues cropping up: headlights don't turn off (the off position puts them back to dipped), the indicator doesn't always click off, the trip computer isn't making any readings.

Clio 172; Megane 1.6
I did the diagnostics on the dash, it didnt come up with any codes or problems that I could see when I scrolled through the screens.

Blobeye WRX STi W/T
The Trip computer wont work because the car thinks you're doing 0mph,
Your headlights are auto so they wont turn off unless it's light or you disable them.

What year is your car? if it's an early model PH2 then it'll take the speed sensor from the gearbox (VERY easy to change, do a search on here, it's very common)

Clio 172; Megane 1.6
Oh dear! Was being a bit dim there! Didn't even connect the trip computer and Speedo together :-/ got a new sensor on order. Will see how it goes. Cheers

Clio 172; Megane 1.6
just another note, I have now had the emissions light constantly up on the dash! it cant decide between flashing and being steady . . .

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
the speed sensor, seriously easy five mins job and im no mechanic.

its tucked right down the back of the engine, so lean over the engine cover and look right down the back, a torch is handy,

your looking for the top of the gearbox, you'll see the exhaust manifold and then a heat shield, the sensor is just behind the heat sheild,

seem to remember you just give it a good pull and it comes straight out, unplug the wires reconnect to teh new one and push back in.,

just dont do as i did and have a warm exhaust!

Clio 172; Megane 1.6
Ok, finally got the new speed sensor! yay! got down and dirty with the back of the engine, found the old one. It was snapped off and broken, hanging loose!! disconnected the remains, tried to get the new one in the engine and it just doesn't want to go in! is there a catch or anything I'm missing? I did put quite a bit of pressure on it, but obviously don't want to kill the new one! Is there a knack to getting the sensor into the engine port?

Clio 172; Megane 1.6
I think I've been sold a duffer :/ mechanic looked it over, basically said the replacement engine doesn't use a gearbox sensor so will need a new gearbox, and one of the injectors is not firing! Spoke to the trader who sold it, the guy just said tough luck. Altogether about £1200 of repairs needed. Any ideas where I might be able to get a cheaper gearbox and injector from?

I think I've been sold a duffer :/ mechanic looked it over, basically said the replacement engine doesn't use a gearbox sensor so will need a new gearbox, and one of the injectors is not firing! Spoke to the trader who sold it, the guy just said tough luck. Altogether about £1200 of repairs needed. Any ideas where I might be able to get a cheaper gearbox and injector from?

Gearbox can be got from one of the many breakers cheap, just use a new clutch when you put to together a new injecotrs cheap enough even from Renault or go to a breakers.

Can you not reject the car under the terms of warenty?

Clio 172; Megane 1.6
Just an update to all this:

spoke to the trader, who says I bought as is, which I most certainly did not! Also spoke to trading standards who say that if the traders says was sold as is, I've got no case. . .

got and fitted a new injector and at least the engine now sounds sweet :) local mechanics said that when the engine was replaced, it was a different engine than what should have been put in! The new engine / gearbox combo was from one which doesnt have the gearbox speed sensor! 2 options being a whole new gearbox (or if i can find a refurb one) orhe knows a guy who can switch the casings over. Both being fairly pricey options. Am leaving it for the time being.

Just a note of caution for anyone buying a clio where the engine's been replaced. . .