ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 turbo - downpipe hitting subframe

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
As above!

I've got the middle and rear exhaust mounts holding the exhaust as high as I can, but the the goose neck on the cat where it joins to the turbo down pipe is millimetres off the subframe, and so is bouncing off it.

Engine and gearbox mounts are new.

Anyone experienced this or can offer a fix? It's driving me wild!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Id be tempted to take it to an exhaust place and get it modified for more clearance if any more issues. Exhaust place remade mine on the Kangoo and no issues since.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
A bit of the black material heat wrap stuff will stop the banging if it comes back. On a previous car my exhaust used to hit the boot floor and a decent wrap got rid of the metal on metal sound.

If it makes you feel any better when mine’s hot the turbo whacks the bulkhead. A sensible man would replace the dodgy engine mounts 😂

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Id be tempted to take it to an exhaust place and get it modified for more clearance if any more issues. Exhaust place remade mine on the Kangoo and no issues since.
Remade your downpipe, or rejigged the mounts?

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
I used to have this when it first got converted. I replaced both engine mounts with vibra technics versions and also pulled the engine as far forward as it would go when putting them in. Did the trick and mine did not vibrate like a lot of people mention when fitting harder mounts.

Clio 172 turbo
mine scrapes also and it pisses me off mine ,had a 182 decat link pipe before it was turbo.. then engine dynamics used a 182 turbo downpipe to joint the rest of my system because i still use the 182 to 172 decat pipe as i had previously 182 manifold

Attachments

• 20210303_151224.jpg
    20210303_151224.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 75

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I used to have this when it first got converted. I replaced both engine mounts with vibra technics versions and also pulled the engine as far forward as it would go when putting them in. Did the trick and mine did not vibrate like a lot of people mention when fitting harder mounts.
Did you get the competition or road mounts?

Just had my car at powerflow and they've given as much clearance as the can but it's still knocking.

They advised stiffer engine mounts and perhaps raising the mount a few mil

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Just the road mounts bud. I literally loosened both gearbox and top engine mounts then pulled the engine as far forward as possible - moves quite far tbh and then did them both up again. Stopped the banging. I also replaced the dog bone mount with a purple power flex which also helped

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thanks for that mate.

Yeah I've got a Powerflex black series dogbone in already, but will do as you've done and fit the vibratechnics mounts.

Definitely can't make it any worse lol